Release date announced for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition

+
On PC, yes. On consoles it'll be Blue-Ray. My question was a direct response to Marcin's reply about Internet connection requirement on PS4 to play DLCs. He also said:

That's why it sounds like there'll be only one disc. But, yeah, you're right, it's not a given.

I was obviously answering the PS4 question. Hence the disc.

@Marcin Momot

Thank you. At least it 100 percent confirms, that the PS4 version of the GOTY edition will be delivered on a single disc. That's great! Might be stupid of me to ask, but it's just a "so it's clear" question. Is this the case with the X1 version? I mean all content on one disc. Thanks again.

Hi Marcin, could you kindly tell apart from the discs, what other contents will be inside the box? Thanks.

Just a short manual and discs. Some boxes will contain wolf stickers (we've had lots of these left and decided to include the rest of the stock in some of the boxes).

Hope this helps.

I wonder if there will be any new extras ? According to SteamDB, the GOTY edition will apparently include 5.03 GB of extras, while the original game has 4.16 GB (art pack) + 163.77 MB (HoS and BaW extras). That adds up to less than what is in the GOTY edition, although I might have missed something, or it could be packaged differently (do the free DLCs now count as extras ?), or include stuff that was previously only on GOG. Anyway, we'll see it soon.

Even in the previous EEs, the majority of the new content was not main quests: fan made adventures in TW1, and the two new side quests in Chapter 3 of TW2. The latter did add some new cutscenes, but they are not really story changers.

The GOTY edition was made a "new" game so that it can include all the DLCs in one package, rather than as separate downloads like they will remain in the original version. But that decision means that for example on Steam the GOTY edition will have a new AppID, a new community hub, new cloud saves, achievements, and so on. And it is probably similar on the consoles, that is why the saves do not carry over; on PC, it is probably still possible to just copy the files. Perhaps it would have been possible to implement some kind of import feature, but I guess the GOTY edition is mainly for new players.

Still can't explain why the Bloodborne GOTY edition on PS4 can load save files from regular edition while Witcher 3 can't.

FYI, Bloodborne GOTY edition also includes all the DLCs (actually there's only one expansion - The Old Hunters) and all the updates in one package. (Yes, no need to download any extra content, just like Witcher 3 GOTY. ) So I guess CDPR should NOT blame this to "system". They actually can make this work for old players who also wanna get a GOTY copy, if they want.

Last edited:
This is an amazing deal for those crazy ass people who haven't gotten the game yet I mean what's wrong with them!?

I was gonna get it to support CDPR but now that I see the saves aren't compatible there's no point for me to get it since I have yet to try New Game Plus and I had my Geralt geared up for it.

Maybe the REDs can throw in a nice patch for everyone?

6 DVDs. Everything will be on them.

6 ? :surprised: :what: :hmm:

Will be good for people like me, that love having their Retail collection at home, with great games and with as many discs and "content" as possible. Though if you have to re-install the game, it will cost you a bit of shuffling (but still better than downloading, for the people with slow internet imo :D )

I've post it on old GotY Thread, sadly the BD-Disc was not successful on PC :hope: but it's better with 6 Discs and all content than 4 Discs and Token keys.

But at some point, there's no more Space in (small) DVD-Boxes :lol:

Last edited:
I was gonna get it to support CDPR but now that I see the saves aren't compatible there's no point for me to get it since I have yet to try New Game Plus and I had my Geralt geared up for it.

Maybe the REDs can throw in a nice patch for everyone?

Yes, please CDPR, don't abandon the first buyers and give us a way to import our save in the GOTY edition !!! :unworthy:

There has been some confusion regarding save game compatibility between the Game of the Year and regular editions. We hope the below will clear things up!

First off, so that everyone is on the same page, the Game of The Year Edition contains:

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
• The Hearts of Stone Expansion
• The Blood and Wine Expansion
• 16 free DLCs
• An update with various fixes and improvements (just a regular patch that will also be available for everyone who has the base game – it will be published once the GOTY Edition goes live)

The GOTY Edition does not include any additional unpublished content, so if you have the base game and the expansions, you technically have the GOTY Edition already.

Regarding save game compatibility, here are possible scenarios gamers might encounter and tips on what to do.

Scenario #1: You own the base game on the PC and you want to buy the GOTY Edition

Your game saves will work — this is because of a more open system architecture of the PC. However, if your only goal is to acquire the expansions, you might consider buying the Season Pass, as it will be the more economical option. Content-wise, you will have the same stuff as the person who will have purchased the GOTY edition. Of course, if you really want to support us, we will not mind if you get another copy of The Witcher 3 in the form of the GOTY Edition. Thank you in advance for your generosity :).

Scenario #2: You own the base game on consoles (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One) and you want to buy the GOTY Edition

Our suggestion is to buy the Season Pass instead. Should you buy the GOTY Edition, game saves from your base game will unfortunately not work because the system treats the GOTY Edition as a different product. This is beyond our control and results from the technical aspect of how games work on consoles. Sadly, we are unable to make any workarounds here.

Situation #3: You don’t own the base game or the expansions and want to buy the GOTY edition

We love you and we are humbled that you want to buy and play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Thank you!

Last edited:
Situation #3: You don’t own the base game or the expansions and want to buy the GOTY edition

We love you and we are humbled that you want to buy and play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Thank you!

That's more like "where have you been, buddy?" :)

Nice @Marcin, maybe you should add answers to FAQs or make a seperat post?

I saw many people asking if really the whole content will be on discs, the price of the GOTY edition, if there is a difference between the goty edition and the "Game + expansion pass"-edition on gog (and co?) { I guess not, since you wrote down what the goty edition contains..},...

Dude this game is a unfixable stuttering mess. I have a monster computer, but this gameworks f****ry has totally ruined the game for AMD graphics cards users. My notebook with a GTX 980M runs the game smoother. Thats PATHETIC. Its blatantly a wrench behalf the nvidia code. I cant believe projekt red allowed it to happen. It means that a meaningful chunk of their userbase is getting completely screwed. This is not my opinion, my notebook is a peasant compared to my desktop with binned extremely overclocked parts. dissapointing. Im about to uninstall this garbage just because it really enrages me how crooked it is. I dont want to play it on a notebook even if it can render low 2k with SMAA. *Spits* nvidia **** you. At standard 2k with smaa and the same settings its horrible. Dont blame crossfire either. Since GCN second gen they solved synchronization in hardware, and yes AMD drivers are poor, but this is the game engine. I have a skylake at 4.7ghz core, 4.7ghz memory controller, 16gbs 3333 cas 15 fully stable (Zero silent data corruption). Even if the DX11 driver for AMD is single threaded the ENORMOUS pauses are not the drivers fault, but the fact the code is to a large extent..... proprietary. Designed to gimp. It isnt enough 5 times the market share? You need to kick your competition while they are down? Really? Crysis 3 runs better after you do a bit of tweaking with timer resolution mostly. Freesync.... it actually works in that title too......... I wonder why. Also, whats up with the stutter with vsync? Its like stellar with g sync bro. I wonder why. Surely..... theres nothing there in the code, that helps sell, I dont know.... maybe, g sync monitors? I guess I was just a lucky guy when it was part of the asus gaming notebook deal huh....... Crysis 3 is maxed out except particles on medium and game effects too. Maxed out the hardware scaler at 3400x1913 using custom resolution SMAA1x anistrophic filtering 4x (because its almost redundant with downsampling to 1080). It never EVER drops below 40fps. That tells you everything you need to know bro. Games engine is trash. Know what my average is in crysis 3? 75fps locked. Hilarious. I challenge you to call me a liar so I can prove it with an external video showing you the hardware and the screen. With all those patches, you need to look at AMD.

It's one of the better optimized games of last year along with MGSV and Mad Max. WTH!

Scenario #1: You own the base game on the PC and you want to buy the GOTY Edition

Your game saves will work — this is because of a more open system architecture of the PC. However, if your only goal is to acquire the expansions, you might consider buying the Season Pass, as it will be the more economical option. Content-wise, you will have the same stuff as the person who will have purchased the GOTY edition. Of course, if you really want to support us, we will not mind if you get another copy of The Witcher 3 in the form of the GOTY Edition. Thank you in advance for your generosity :).

Thanks for clearing things up! Do you perhaps also know if the GOTY edition retroactively unlocks steam achievements if the save is carried over on the PC?

Last edited:
It's one of the better optimized games of last year along with MGSV and Mad Max. WTH!
Sorry, but it's nowhere near Mad Max and after the latest patches TW3 performance went down the toilet with some downgrading involved and the CPU temps got raised without any reasonable explonation other than "we know, but won't tell why".

Really, if the game is stuttering for anyone, check your cpu temps.

Top Bottom