Religion

+
No, no, no, please not! I'm tired of games where you hunt cultists.. They all are the same.. Annoying and boring... I think religion in Cyberpunk 2077 should be the way 2020 was. They should be plain, simple, and very small group of people. (They are hunted after all)

I'm sorry. I completely agree with you. I forgot a little word in that post of mine. It should have been "should NOT be some kind of protagonists in a cyberpunk game.

I'm sick of cultists in games as well.

So sorry again for the misunderstanding.

A agree that making a religion only a bunch of maniac cultists that we hunt down would be rather boring. And totally not CDPR style.

Instead, I can see a scenario where a religious group is another powerful, omnipotent corporation, with their own resources, armies, netrunners etc, fighting for its own interests in the middle of Night City's corporate war, but with a religious twist. Closest thing that comes to my mind is Warhammer 40K style - soldiers of a future, fighting for their own cult with dirty and deadly means. Now add to this a cyberpunk twist and take my money already.

This kind of scenario could have great storytelling potential by adding a spiritual layer to the hi-tech world, while keeping the grey moral area dilemmas that CDPR is known for.

A agree that making a religion only a bunch of maniac cultists that we hunt down would be rather boring. And totally not CDPR style.

Instead, I can see a scenario where a religious group is another powerful, omnipotent corporation, with their own resources, armies, netrunners etc, fighting for its own interests in the middle of Night City's corporate war, but with a religious twist. Closest thing that comes to my mind is Warhammer 40K style - soldiers of a future, fighting for their own cult with dirty and deadly means. Now add to this a cyberpunk twist and take my money already.

This kind of scenario could have great storytelling potential by adding a spiritual layer to the hi-tech world, while keeping the grey moral area dilemmas that CDPR is known for.

thats how i like it.

In 2020 there was TRINITY – A Cyberpunk 2020 Church and Corporation

Trinity controls a small army of operatives, armed with state of the art weaponry and modifications.

I'm sorry. I completely agree with you. I forgot a little word in that post of mine. It should have been "should NOT be some kind of protagonists in a cyberpunk game.

I'm sick of cultists in games as well.

So sorry again for the misunderstanding.

It's Ok. You have nothing to be sorry about. :)

Sounds good, i agree on most accounts. Jut call that a "small" army and it does it for me. (Giving cultist nut jobs too much power, always ruins the story.)

Thats how i like it.

In 2020 there was TRINITY – A Cyberpunk 2020 Church and Corporation

Trinity controls a small army of operatives, armed with state of the art weaponry and modifications.

Yes! I imagined something like this as well. If we "have to" face something similar to cultists, let it be something like the organization Trinity. (Like, not all of them are cultist nut jobs, but some, maybe most are)

Sounds good, i agree on most accounts. Jut call that a "small" army and it does it for me. (Giving cultist nut jobs too much power, always ruins the story.)

I don't want them to be cultist nut jobs, as you called them. I want them to be smart, cunning and as deadly as the rest of the corps. Just doing the business behind a facade of religion, which would make them even more dangerous.

I don't want them to be cultist nut jobs, as you called them. I want them to be smart, cunning and as deadly as the rest of the corps. Just doing the business behind a facade of religion, which would make them even more dangerous.

No, i didn't think you did, in a way, i was referring to my previous post. I mean, giving too much power to an organization like that, upsets the balance. (story-wise)

btw, what happened to the pope in c2020?

He went cyber... :cool:

would be interesting if you encounter something like a cult which worships body augmentation
don't care so much for real world religion to be included in this game

He went cyber... :cool:

As a general rule in games I would say stay away from religion. There are plenty of other topics that are just as interesting that people are more reasonable about.
I wouldn't mind seeing it referenced and have some sort of behind the scenes presence. But past that I think it should be avoided.

Especially because this game takes place on Earth in the near future. The Dev's vision of the direction certain religious groups evolve has potential to cause a great deal of unnecessary drama.

As a general rule in games I would say stay away from religion. There are plenty of other topics that are just as interesting that people are more reasonable about.
I wouldn't mind seeing it referenced and have some sort of behind the scenes presence. But past that I think it should be avoided.

Especially because this game takes place on Earth in the near future. The Dev's vision of the direction certain religious groups evolve has potential to cause a great deal of unnecessary drama.

As i agree with your point (at least partiality) I do hope they do not fully stay away from the religion theme. (Cyberpunk 2020 had great themes about that and i hope we will have an enemy as Gregski suggested.

Hrm.

I don't need "The Church" (or whatever belief system/s you'd like to have in place) to be an uber-ally or an uber-nemesis. I'd be fine with characters referencing their faith in cutscenes and the like (the devout Catholic C-SWAT member taking out their rosary beads and silently praying, before jumping out of the aerodyne, the Muslim Fixer, who throws in "Insha'llah" to casual conversation of whether or not they can get you that thing you're looking for, etc.) I neither need, nor expect anything more than that.

Hrm.

I don't need "The Church" (or whatever belief system/s you'd like to have in place) to be an uber-ally or an uber-nemesis. I'd be fine with characters referencing their faith in cutscenes and the like (the devout Catholic C-SWAT member taking out their rosary beads and silently praying, before jumping out of the aerodyne, the Muslim Fixer, who throws in "Insha'llah" to casual conversation of whether or not they can get you that thing you're looking for, etc.) I neither need, nor expect anything more than that.

Those are cool ideas, I also second gregski's scenario.

Hrm.

This is awesome stuff, treating religion as a background personality bit.... adds character...

Um..... Your alternative to a cult sounds exactly like a cult to me....

Gregski wasn't talking about the existence of a cult, but the portrayal and in-game treatment of same. Instead of disposable deranged detonators, convey the idea that they are complex, motivated and dangerous, with a frame of reference they consider equally as valid as any corporate agenda.

Gregski wasn't talking about the existence of a cult, but the portrayal and in-game treatment of same. Instead of disposable deranged detonators, convey the idea that they are complex, motivated and dangerous, with a frame of reference they consider equally as valid as any corporate agenda.

They are both pretty cliche.... unfortunately both those cliches, of street level nutter back alley cults, and super powerful influential cabals, are pretty much close to reality today.... with the rest of the churches falling somewhere in between.

Top Bottom