[RELz]Primer

+
This is one of my favourite mod out there.
But I read you reintroduced the substances only instead of raw ingredients. I'm not sure I like this change. :(

I don't like the change either. I did it because I thought I was going to change the primary substance of many ingredients and this way I could better keep track of what goes where. But it was -and still is- my intention to go back to raw ingredients in the next update.

In any case, It turns out I'm not going to change the primary substances, at least not for every ingredient. It is not needed anymore; with the addition of secondary substances the usefulness of rarer ingredients is reinstated, as these less common ingredients are the only ones to have them. It is at this point where I must deviate from the lore; some plants that had a secondary ingredient in The Witcher 1 will lack one this time around. It's unfortunate but it is a small price to pay for the sake of balance, I believe.

As for the next update, everything is coming together. The implementation of the secondary substances was more difficult than expected; the problem lies in how the same potions must coexist together in the inventory. e.g a regular Swallow potion, a Swallow with Rubedo, another with Nigredo and yet another one with Albedo. They can't be the same potion with different names, they have to be 4 different potions. After much deliberation I finally found a way to do it, so RL permitting, I should have the update ready sometime next week.

For those interested, I just uploaded a new update. Many changes, including the implementation of the secondary substance system of the first Witcher. I updated the demo video to showcase the changes to ingredients, etc.

Changelog:

- Fixed two mod settings controlling potion duration that stopped working when modified from the menu.
- Fixed an issue that prevented any mod settings changed from within the configuration file, instead of the mod menu, from taking effect.
- Fixed an issue that prevented mod settings in the mod menu from being applied to save files made before the changes were effected.
- Fixed a bug that caused toxicity not to diminish after loading a save game made with active toxicity.
- Fixed the toxicity facial effects not being updated at the right time.
- Fixed the newly introduced animations causing Geralt to dismount from his horse.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Geralt from drinking potions when using a controller if the drinking animation was allowed in the mod settings.
- Added controller keybinds for initiating alchemy meditation and other mod features.
- Added a check to prevent campfires from being placed in shallow waters.
- Added a looting animation. It can be disabled from the mod menu.
- Made significant improvements to the way animations play during combat, resulting in a much more fluid experience.
- Changed the mechanics of the potion duration overrides. Read the mod configuration file for details.
- Added a substantial amount of missing ingredients into the primary substance groups. Added missing Temerian Rye to the alcohols.
- Details of each ingredient appear in the inventory and shop menus as tooltips now, indicating which substance they contain.
- Greatly improved the way ingredient information is displayed when swapping ingredients in the alchemy menu.
- Revised the ingredients of all potions, oils and bombs and made balancing adjustments. Returned potion's ingredients back to raw materials.
- Greatly reduced or eliminated the chances of alcohest and dwarven spirit to appear as loot throughout the game. Increased the chances in places were it made sense.
- Changed the prices of herbs and alcohols based on their category and usefulness.
- Empty potions and bombs are now processed upon the mod's first start up.
- Monster mutagens can be dissolved into generic lesser mutagens of the same color by using top quality alcohol.
- Replaced certain alchemy skills with new ones.
- Implemented real time meditation. It blends seamless with alchemy meditation.
- Implemented the secondary substance system from the first Witcher game.
- Implemented a category system for all ingredients based on their primary substance content. The amount of ingredients on a recipe changes dynamically based on the category.

Last edited:

jj284b

Forum veteran
how exactly this mod works? i saw your videos, you are changing the ingrediences, but when i try to do it in my game with mod enabled nothing happens.. Am I missing something?

how exactly this mod works? i saw your videos, you are changing the ingrediences, but when i try to do it in my game with mod enabled nothing happens.. Am I missing something?

1) Have you merged the mod with Script Merger?
2) To create potions you have to go in meditation by press "L". This will create a campfire (provide you have timber) Then you can change the ingredients by left clicking on them.

jj284b

Forum veteran
i only have this mod in my mod folder, i have copied BIN folder when it should be, and using latest localisation file. I have also added those keymaps to my file. when i get into meditation and alchemy by pressing L as instructed, i cannot change any substance whatsoever.. i thought i dont have all required, but when i checked the video, and my inventory i definitely have some that could be used instead..

You need to click on the ingredients, to change them, that means you can't change ingredient's with a controller.
If you are using your mouse and still can't do it, the mod's alchemyMenu.ws isn't being loaded. The only reason I can think of why that would happen, is if another mod is loading its own alchemyMenu.ws version. That or the mod is not actually installed.Since you say you can enter the meditation state just fine, the former seems more likely.

possible to use this mod without the real time meditation? I've got immersive meditation mod and would like the newest version without the real time meditation :D its my fav alchemy mod

possible to use this mod without the real time meditation? I've got immersive meditation mod and would like the newest version without the real time meditation :D its my fav alchemy mod
Of course it's possible. I made real time meditation completely separated from vanilla's. You can still meditate normally if you want, or use any meditation mods.

I must warn you though, this thing grows on you. I initially implemented it because of a fan request, but after finishing and trying it, I liked it so much I can't wait for an excuse to meditate. Pretty spins!

Of course it's possible. I made real time meditation completely separated from vanilla's. You can still meditate normally if you want, or use any meditation mods.

I must warn you though, this thing grows on you. I initially implemented it because of a fan request, but after finishing and trying it, I liked it so much I can't wait for an excuse to meditate. Pretty spins!

I actually played it with the meditation you made and its better xD

Hi. I think I found a bug:

I've created two Grapeshots from different ingredients combinations. One of them can't be used to destroy monster's nests. "You don't have the right bomb" message appears. I used console commands to give me one grapeshot and throwed the other away (worked normal).

Keep up the great work! Loving the mod so far :D

EDIT:

Which reshade are you using in the promo video?

Last edited:
Hi. I think I found a bug:

I've created two Grapeshots from different ingredients combinations. One of them can't be used to destroy monster's nests. "You don't have the right bomb" message appears. I used console commands to give me one grapeshot and throwed the other away (worked normal).

Keep up the great work! Loving the mod so far :D

EDIT:

Which reshade are you using in the promo video?
I replied to your report on the nexus. As I mentioned there, primer doesn't alter the functionality of bombs. The fact that they're created from different ingredients doesn't matter, the resulting item is always the same.

What I believe happened is that the bomb that you had with you had 0 charges left. I added code to remove bombs when they have no charges left but I forgot bombs could be used to destroy nests. Because of this, if you use your last bomb to destroy a nest, it won't be removed, it will remain in your inventory appearing as any other bomb but it has no charges left. Naturally if you try to use it to blow another nest the game will tell you that you have no bomb, because technically, you don't

This is just a cosmetic issue. You can throw it away or create another bomb of the same type and category and this bomb will become usable again. To avoid this don't use the last bomb for blowing up nests.

I set your report as Not a bug because the name was misleading but I will open another one describing the issue. Thanks for reporting this!

PS: I'm using a custom version of this reshade, the natural preset I believe. I tweaked the bloom settings to give the appearance of better shading and added some ambient light.

After playing with it for a few hours, all i can say is
I highly recommend it to anyone.

Hi!

Great mod! Loving it so far :D

I just have one "problem": decoctions. As we don't get much monster mutagens(ie Archgriffin mutagem), decoctions will be someting much more like a one time buff... Is there a way we can make them reusable (like use its "leftovers" as a susbtitute for the mutagen or something like that)?

Hi!

Great mod! Loving it so far :D

I just have one "problem": decoctions. As we don't get much monster mutagens(ie Archgriffin mutagem), decoctions will be someting much more like a one time buff... Is there a way we can make them reusable (like use its "leftovers" as a susbtitute for the mutagen or something like that)?
I was going to reply that the mod already changes the amount of monster mutagens you get as a loot but it seems I didn't include that xml file in this last release. I hadn't noticed because I play with other overhauls that already change this. But for people that play vanilla, this can become an issue. You bring a fair point. I will look into it.

@jj284b
i only have this mod in my mod folder, i have copied BIN folder when it should be, and using latest localisation file
I just noticed that essential part. Shame on me...
If you are using the custom localization mod you need to use script merger as the localization mod changes alchemyMenu.ws. That's why Primer's alchemyMenu.ws wasn't being loaded by the game and you couldn't switch the ingredients.

I was going to reply that the mod already changes the amount of monster mutagens you get as a loot but it seems I didn't include that xml file in this last release. I hadn't noticed because I play with other overhauls that already change this. But for people that play vanilla, this can become an issue. You bring a fair point. I will look into it.

Isn't it possible to give the mutagem back when you use the potion, pretty much like the bottle recycling feature? Or not consume it at all, just check if you have it so you cannot create the potion prior acquiring the mutagem (but consuming the other ingredients)?

EDIT: I use Increased Creature Loot

Last edited:
Isn't it possible to give the mutagem back when you use the potion, pretty much like the bottle recycling feature? Or not consume it at all, just check if you have it so you cannot create the potion prior acquiring the mutagem (but consuming the other ingredients)?

EDIT: I use Increased Creature Loot
What you suggest might be a little too much. That is something akin to cheating and while I'm fine with any user customizing the mod to their taste I can't implement that. What I can do is guide you so you achieve what you want by modifying a few lines in the scripts.

I already added an alchemy skill that when taken to the max level gives you a 50% chance to get a mutagen as a side effect of alchemy. There's a very simple change you can make to a line of code that will make this skill have a greater chance of success or even better, trigger for any potion you make.

Imagine that. Getting a mutagen after every other potion brewed. Before you know, you will have more mutagens than Dwarven Spirits.

If you prefer of course, I can just tell you how to disable mutagen consumption entirely, when brewing decoctions. Send me a PM and I will give you the instructions.

Last edited:
Man, this mod is PERFECT! I'm using it since i saw it on nexus and it's simply awesome.

One think I personally would like to have is a separate "Cooked Quantity" slider for Potions and Bombs. I'd like to have 1 potion cooked each time but like 2 or 3 bombs.
I don't know if it's a simple thing to add.Don't bother if it's too much time consuming.

BTW, have you thought of add your "Convenient Looting· into your mod? I mean not as a separate mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom