Remembering past metas

+
Not sure if this post exists but curious what was the most broken meta decks you remember.This can go back to closed beta through the present. Even broken strategies may be fun to list. Like abuse of coin flip brouver, war dancer, or double triple created silver spies, yennifer in every deck immunity. Old Viper witchers replayed 6 times.
Some decks that stand to me was great swords, midwinter dwarfs, coin flip / swap elves. I could keep going but want to see what you all remember

Tall Woodland used to be a thing in HC before he got nerfed
Beast Bran (was ok)
improved Coral Bran + Lippy (tier 1) but he got nerfed so soon that I didn't suffer long enough to remember it well. Who plays Lippy now...
Witcher NG was played but not sure what tier it was. I mean the oldest incarnation with pre-nerfed: Eskiel Pathfinder, WitcherTrio, Ciris (all of them) and pre nerfed the guy who shot2 whenever you played a Witcher, so a weaker version of this SY guy...
Reveal Morvran when Reveal was actually an archetype. At one point it was strong, but got nerfed...
CC Morvran 18 provisions -- with just Witcher trio (Letho...) and other midrange units, every NG was the exact same back then
pre-nerf Crah+Wolfsbane
Lock Usurper
- before nerfs and leader-provisions he had the penalty of having 0 mulligans. Before Purify, lock was a thing, and very annoying. Not sure what tier though.
Tier 2(bottom) Movement Morvran - I remember it because I invented it he he. Was quite good I think. Freddy made a video about such a deck. Before DragonsDream nerf.
Traps Eldain -- not long ago. With Summoning Circle. I made this deck myself and I think it was tier 2 too, very powerful. I had like 35/40 matches won. Now it's nerfed and won't work well in version I created. But modified SirPumpkins may be fine without Summoning Circle, idk.
Blue Dream Meta -- I mean, this card was everywhere.

The very start of HC?
No unit Eithne (Spears, Shields artifacts with old Sihil, pre nerfed Epidemics...)
Sihil Greatswords...
No unit Woodland... those were unfair, annoying, yeah.

...and many many more but not sure if anyone read this and this post became quite long-ish
//note: all of what I wrote is Homecoming.
From Beta I played 1 week but remember: Nekker AQ, Strengthen Ciri, Resilence Dwarves, discard Francesca, spell Dol Balthana Sentry that buffed 3x to 17... Strengthen Greatsword + Ship that dmg_ally+buffself

Last edited:
I remember the craziness that was Brouver opening with:
Dandelion -> Yaevin -> Brouver's capacity to pull Barclay into cleaver dealing 10 damage. 10 point swing, card advantage, 4 thinning. And possibility to dry pass round 2 with wardancer swap...

Guest 4368268

In Gwent OB thinking of broken metas any coinflip abuse deck comes to mind. Brouver, Movran etc. In Homecoming most metas have just been pointslam. Woodland, Gernichora, Bran, Dijkstra, Foltest Commandos, Midrange Movran and now 'Mystic Echo' decks. I see Monster decks with about ten 8+ point cards with way less provisions than points. It's basically the old Veterans deck on steroids and it's what Homecoming has pretty much revolved around from the beginning. Low risk and very high reward.

I remember watching Kolemoen (Meve) playing Tailbot (Woodland) in a long round in a tourney. This should be about as unfortunate a pointslam Monsters match up as they come and Tailbot still won that.. :think: I had hoped Homecoming would gradually become more advanced and move away from that but thus far no ace.

Not sure if this post exists but curious what was the most broken meta decks you remember.This can go back to closed beta through the present. Even broken strategies may be fun to list. Like abuse of coin flip brouver, war dancer, or double triple created silver spies, yennifer in every deck immunity. Old Viper witchers replayed 6 times.
Some decks that stand to me was great swords, midwinter dwarfs, coin flip / swap elves. I could keep going but want to see what you all remember

There was a SK meta where literally everyone was dominating with the exact same SK deck. This was the worst that I have ever seen it. Worse than the Dwarves meta others are probably bringing up from before homecoming. This was back when Shield Maidens were over powered and had to be nerfed. "NOW ALL TOGETHER!!!" still haunts my dreams.

I remember the craziness that was Brouver opening with:
Dandelion -> Yaevin -> Brouver's capacity to pull Barclay into cleaver dealing 10 damage. 10 point swing, card advantage, 4 thinning. And possibility to dry pass round 2 with wardancer swap...
That was the worst.Even if you dry passed you were in trouble,
if you played you'd go down cards due to wardancers.

HC:

This season (probably the worst): first the SC Dwarfs and NR engine swarm then the super-broken NG Size [6] to all of which people responded by crazy MO dead wish destroy control decks where the game goes like this: Predatory dive, 1-copy of Manticore, consume Manticore, Manticore + leader ability, consume Manticore, finished with 13pt insect only to have the same again later with Miruna and Ozzrel.

BETA:

The NG hand-buff: buff a knight with mandrake, return to hand, reveal, play 18-22pt bronzes...

Last edited:
HC:

This season (probably the worst): first the SC Dwarfs and NR engine swarm then the super-broken NG Size [6] to all of which people responded by crazy MO dead wish destroy control decks where the game goes like this: Predatory dive, 1-copy of Manticore, consume Manticore, Manticore + leader ability, consume Manticore, finished with 13pt insect only to have the same again later with Miruna and Ozzrel.

BETA:

The NG hand-buff: buff a knight with mandrake, return to hand, reveal, play 18-22pt bronzes...
OH man I had that blocked out of my memory.

Top Bottom