Removal is worse than ever

+
I thought i had a screenshot for this but can't find it.
Anyway it was a round 3 with 10 cards each that ended 3-2. Yes, after 20 cards have been played in a round one player had 3 points on the board and the other 2 points. If that's not extreme i don't know what is.

Yes, after 20 cards have been played in a round one player had 3 points on the board and the other 2 points. If that's not extreme i don't know what is.

I faced a Sihil mirror and the opponent and I just discarded our whole hand. Because the opponent had last say, I lost the game. After that game, I learned two things: put in artifact removal and, more importantly, put in a Pitfall Trap to counter the final play of the opponent when I do not have the last say. Works wonders. I've won most other mirrors now solely because of Pitfall Trap.

The deck is pretty interesting because you actually need to use some math and plan ahead to get the best Schirru or Regis. I also use Geralt: Professional, which usually gets a good and reliable value. Scorch and Epidemic are more boring, though.

Yet, I am not entirely happy. While I like the idea behind the deck, it does limit the choices of some other decks that cannot withstand the wave of removals. I also run a Craiteswords deck, which gets decent wins all things considered, but it clearly feels inferior.

I'm not much of a ranked player, I don't know what the meta is for each faction. So I learn about other decks from casual. I just won a game but feel guilty, a fellow ST player running engines and Brouver and a mish mash of ST cards. Clearly looking to develop engine points gradually with paulie to make one of the engines immune. I had a similar deck in the beginning of open beta...
I shut down all of his engines with bronzes x3 Wether that be a zap or lock. Then my gold lock, so that's 4 I run in my deck. I also have two ale for my own engines. I had the (last play) in round 3 and put down 40 points with two cards..

I'm not sure if this is going on in ranked. Might have a try over the weekend but in ranked I face NG all the time. It is a shame that people are not putting points down and just saving it for the last 2/3 cards in R3. Not good for the game imo

Hope there will be changes to encourage more engine play. Such as engines being immune maybe, for one turn or something.

Artifacts, combined with all the cards having almost the same points is making Epidemic and Scorch atrociously good. Than we have the new Schirru with the new Eithne.

I saw more than one opponent play the witcher trio and roach on turn one just begging for an epidemic. Not even a scorch, because that's more valuable.

However, I agree that removal is stronger than ever. I wrote that soon after the PTR...

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...f-greedy-consume-etc-is-almost-over.10986923/

Goodbye Greatswords....

...welcome Eithné, lady of pew-pew, undisputed queen of control decks. :rolleyes:

But what would happen if CDPR were to nerf cards like Scorch by increasing its provision costs or changing Schirru ability? I think that Eredin an his immune fellows would be extremly pleased.

I'd say that Eithné pew-pew 3 times a round is too strong because it gives too much aligning potential, but I'd leave Schirru combo alone. It's strong, but it requires some setup. The opponent can just use some buff cards on its own, or even damaging his/her cards to avoid a big Schirru play.

W

Why are the only options extremes? People just want a balanced game.m
I've played hearthstone for 3 years and i saw constantly people bitching about aggro face decks and others about control removing everything.

In MTG some people want to nerf mono red aggro to death, others wants to remove counterspells from the game.

I'm afraid the "perfect balance" doesn't exists and even if it did people would still complain about something.

Atm it's fine, i see a wide range of decks and the meta have yet to settle, it's too early to call for balance changes.

playing units get punished heavily by removals , playing units at the state of the game is a losing play with all the points damage we can have and removals .

artifacts are a problem for the game , ok they bring new ways of play but they do too good and synergie with them are too good compared to units synergies .

i think now we need more cards that does multiple things (like iris : clean weather and lock unit) because now you need to plan your deck with 2/3 of your deck synergizing or it will be a bad deck .

they should up units health points at the moment .

I don't know what game you're playing cause i already see only netdecks, all 3 of them with the EXACT same cards, it didn't take much for the morons to ruin it again.
3? I've seen morvran reveal, eithnee artifacts, Bran discard, Woodland Spirit artifacts, Harald Greatswords, Woodland spirit giants (play tall units, consume them with ghouls r3), broover movement/weather, calveit soldiers, foltest draugh and much more.

Maybe it's you that are playing the wrong game.

Since I see we're giving out free trade secrets (I'm looking at you 4RM3D and sfruzz), I give you the one-step Witcher trio insecticide (because a card draw that obnoxious deserves its antidote):

Arachas Venom

Changing the boost Artifacts to only be able to target your own units will go a long way to balancing the current mechanics.

I used to play pure spells deck with Eithne. The one with farseers and other spell-related stuff. It wasn't very effective against certain decks, but absolutely destroyed others.

I tried to play it in HC, with Francesca of course, since now it's her ability to reuse them. And you know what, this archetype is 100% dead at the moment, especially compared to artifacts deck.

Not enough spells (due to 2 bronze limitation), not enough power behind them, not enough means to summon them from your deck if mulligan is bad, not enough ways to use them from graveyard, not enough synergy with units.

Meanwhile artifacts have it all, there are many ways to summon them, they are powerful, etc.

RIP spell'taels, long live artifacts? Pretty poor balancing...

Last edited:
I think Bronze cards should not do more than 1 damage per turn and high points removal should be allowed only for Gold cards. There are way too many cards that do a lot of damage right now and are shutting down engines left and right. Also making all Bronzes engines sounds more like what those cards should be for your deck.

Guest 4283771

Morvran soldiers, getting that perfect hand - boink 60 something points on the board, Eithne got 4. Uses her leader ability and Schirru's everything. Not gonna lie, made me salty as heck. It was actually rather impressive, but her lining up my boards for Epidemic the previous 2 rounds was tilting. I also get this shite with Calveit and Emhyr. Units averaging 4-6 makes Eithne's ability extremely imbalanced combined with artifacts and our boi Schirru. Just my two cents.

3? I've seen morvran reveal, eithnee artifacts, Bran discard, Woodland Spirit artifacts, Harald Greatswords, Woodland spirit giants (play tall units, consume them with ghouls r3), broover movement/weather, calveit soldiers, foltest draugh and much more.

Maybe it's you that are playing the wrong game.

Yeah, these are the "meta" decks right now, thanks to Team Rankstar...

https://teamrankstar.com/gwent-comprehensive-meta-update-oct-29-2018/

And this game feels like "Homecoming Beta" not full released Gwent 1.0 to me.

Just put in some artifact hate, some graveyard hate, some last minute win condition hate, some witcher hate, some deathwish hate and a lot of engines hate. ups, I almost forgot reveal hate....
Not much love left in gwent these days :)

One last reminder: if you can`t win against artifacts, play with them!

Morvran soldiers, getting that perfect hand - boink 60 something points on the board, Eithne got 4. Uses her leader ability and Schirru's everything. Not gonna lie, made me salty as heck. It was actually rather impressive, but her lining up my boards for Epidemic the previous 2 rounds was tilting. I also get this shite with Calveit and Emhyr. Units averaging 4-6 makes Eithne's ability extremely imbalanced combined with artifacts and our boi Schirru. Just my two cents.

To be fair it's a bit intimidating to keep pace with NG's over-tuned card selection and the plethora of abusive mechanics at their fingertips. 20 pt line ups don't seem to phase it much. So yeah, you might need 40 pt line ups instead. Pot, kettle.

Playing with something that you don't like is not the way you continue playing any game.

You don't have to spam artifacts to play artifacts. It's not like throwing 3-4 into your deck to make the other components more efficient is blasphemy. A simple restriction on the number of artifacts a deck can carry would solve most of the problem.

Top Bottom