Removal of "Campaign" from Single player and More cartoony menu (WHY?!)

+
Removal of "Campaign" from Single player and More cartoony menu (WHY?!)

True, the adventure mode/campaign was always greyed out and was never available, but its very presence was a great promise for its future inclusion.

Its removal means possibly 2 things: 1. They're taking it out for now as they get ready for live so that new players don't use it as a "negative" feedback, and will include it when its ready. 2. They're removing it altogether.
I'm hoping it's reason 1.

On the topic of the more cartoony changes: the ore/scraps/barrels icons, along with the Deck Builder and Collection tabs, have all been changed. While they are brighter and more visible, this does not mean they are more attractive. It clashes with Gwent's overall more gritty feel. While I do think the card collection picture is better, both of these new pictures still feel out of place compared to the troll in the shop tab. I do agree that the the tabs along with the overall user interface should be improved upon, but don't lose the more realistic/witcher feel. While witcher is a land based in fantasy, it is not Warcraft, please don't go down that route.

Last edited:
KoncertMajstor;n8203580 said:
An the topic of the more cartoony changes: the ore/scraps/barrels icons, along with the Deck Builder and Collection tabs, have all been changed. While they are brighter and more visible, this does not mean they are more attractive. It clashes with Gwent's overall more gritty feel. While I do think the card collection picture is better, both of these new pictures still feel out of place compared to the troll in the shop tab.
HenryGrosmont;n8205270 said:
I'm not a big fan of a "Deck Builder"/"Collection" change either.
Personally, I'm not particularly fond of these new graphics either (especially those troll portraits), however, that's merely my private aesthetic opinion. I'd prefer if the REDs maintain a more weathered, battle-weary theme. If the game is still intended to simulate two armies locked in combat, the new graphics strike me as a wee bit too 'clean' for such an illusion. (Alternatively, I still rather like the idea of a tavern-atmosphere -- suggestive of a place where adventurers interrupt their quests for a game or two -- but that's merely a residual association with The Witcher III's version.)

I've no idea why the Campaign tab was removed. Perhaps they felt it wasn't serving much of a purpose yet?

Last edited:
The UI needs more pop so that it feels less like a low-res mobile game. If they want to achieve this by adding more color, I'm all for it.

gigabomb;n8218660 said:
The UI needs more pop so that it feels less like a low-res mobile game. If they want to achieve this by adding more color, I'm all for it.

I agree that the UI needs an overhaul, but they should not sacrifice the Witcher aesthetic in the process.

All of the cards have a very specific artistic direction (one of photo-realism for the most part), and they should keep this consistent. There are many ways to improve their menu screen without compromising their artistic identity.

Hear, hear. I don't like the change to the graphics - either the menus or the game itself. Everything feels 'blockier' (or 'cartoony'), less graceful and generally less 'Witcher-y'. In short, it feels more Hearthstone than Gwent.

To echo Idomyownstunts, the game may also benefit from more car chases and robots. Failing that, let's go back to the original (decent) graphics again.

I like it too but I always like new things and especially if they're shiny. Having said that, if it changes to reflect the sentiments of the posters here I'll still go ooohhh aaahhh and like it.

I also love the new GUI, but also wouldn't like it to go to cartoonish and be more Tavern-like.
And OP, why even give it a single thought on a possibility that they would remove the campaign totally, seriously? Not a 0.0001% doubt about that.

I agree, and my friends who I live with that watch me play occasionally were also not fans. I have never played HS, but they said it is starting to look a lot like it.

thats a pity with Campaigns, but it was said so much about single-player being present that I believe we will get it

also I hope CDPR will review the decision of making that game look like some forced family-friendly board game for the sake of marketing

I strongly believe Gwent is good enough to be capable of having its own niche and doesnt need to position itself as a card game for children like hearthstone

Last edited:
+1 to everything OP said. I'd make a thread like this myself, but I'm too lazy. I don't like the cartoony-style graphics in particular, which is starting to give me a Hearthstone vibe as some have said. There's surely a way to make the old icons more noticeable without converting them into colorful abominations. Not sure why the collection screen needed changing, it seemed pretty good to me as it was, and even though I'm a big fan of Shoop (Human in shop, Shoop in shop), I'm not onboard with those new images of him.
And last but not least - while the new board is very nice for the most part, the area to the left has a significant cartoony feel to it, along with the card history view.

TL;DR - cartoon graphics have been done already, give us back photorealism

nhk3;n8239350 said:
cartoon graphics have been done already, give us back photorealism
Indeed, I had a feeling they were going that way and am a bit disappointed to see they're not... Let's hope it'll change.

I do agree with the OP in thinking that the graphic change was for the worse. Also looking forward for the single campaign feature, hope it will be restored.

Top Bottom