Removing Breach Protocol from PVE was a terrible idea.

+
This gutted the netrunners identity. It destroyed the pacing of combat for netrunners. It makes it pointless to ping and identify weakpoints in their subnet. It doesn't fit in with the lore/atmosphere of 2077.

It needs to be returned to its former glory. I was so excited to play phantom liberty, but they've basically destroyed the enjoyable aspects of netrunning IMO. I hate this spammy gameplay. Used to give you more tactical ways to approach the situation.

Why would you completely change the identity of a class and remove an entire feature and functionality from the game?

Many of the people that developed the original Cyberpunk are gone, and have been replaced with new developers, including the director. These new people apparently didn't like or understood the original vision and have decided to focus everything on combat because it's what makes the most views on Youtube, screwing other playstyles and builds in the process

It does feel like a lot of the soul that made Cyberpunk what it was is now gone in order to "mainstream" the game and turn it more into some Far Cry-esque in-your-face type of gameplay rather than the intricacy of the previous gameplay. To me the original stealth Netrunning felt like cyber-Dishonored in a lot of ways.

What felt somewhat realistic and natural for the Cyberpunk setting now feels mostly like gaming gimmicks which somewhat ruin immersion. Tracing being the most awful gimmicky immersion breaker so far since it's just a global ticking timer for stealth netrunners if they happen to trigger the tracing mechanic.

If they do some meaningful balance changes and minor reworks to improve it then it'd be perfect because I do actually enjoy the new stuff and think the base foundation for it is awesome, but it feels too gamey and doesn't feel unique. A bit of improvements would make it shine.

And yes, I miss breach protocol too. It was so fun to breach bad guys and passively apply all the various debuffs.

Having played Cyberpunk as a netrunner in almost every playthrough, I'm glad breach protocol is gone. It was a repetitive minigame that eventually became a trivial timewaster in gameplay. To get the most out of your RAM and apply massive debuffs, you HAD to do it in every single encounter or it felt like you were gimping yourself. When every encounter begins the EXACT SAME way, it takes away from developing your own style. Despite everyone complaining about how they "killed" netrunning, I find the new state of things infinitely preferable to the god mode netrunning we had from launch to 1.63. Players will adjust to the changes, just like they did when Legendary Ping got nerfed and everyone threw a fit despite it obviously being necessary to preserve anything resembling gameplay balance. This isn't to say that further tweaks shouldn't happen (especially in the early game), but the new skeleton of the system is a lot healthier.

BP was just fucking annoying to do. Every single encounter. Good riddance.
You can still be plenty tactical, you simply have to use your eyes and brain a bit more. Pay more attention to enemy positions, pick better positions yourself, learn your quickhack combos. Part of it is simply all the new information. You are just not aware of new possibilities, that's why you think it was gutted.

I don't want to "be aware of the new possibilities" - I want to finish the game that I started and then look at the possibilities.

This gutted the netrunners identity. It destroyed the pacing of combat for netrunners. It makes it pointless to ping and identify weakpoints in their subnet. It doesn't fit in with the lore/atmosphere of 2077.

It needs to be returned to its former glory. I was so excited to play phantom liberty, but they've basically destroyed the enjoyable aspects of netrunning IMO. I hate this spammy gameplay. Used to give you more tactical ways to approach the situation.

Why would you completely change the identity of a class and remove an entire feature and functionality from the game?
They didn't. You just have to find an access point now. You could say the game was broken before hand because access points were pointless because you could just run a breach regardless of any set prerequisites.

Honestly, breach protocol was useless outside of mass vulnerability. The rest of the daemons were too situational or just flat out useless. And the fact that it only lasted a few minutes and could only be used once enemy group made it even more useless. And you never had to ping enemies to see their weak points. A regular scan will do that. Not like looking at enemies weakness even mattered in the previous patch, because you'd just end up one-shotting everything with short circuit even if they were resistant to it.

Maybe if daemons didn't have a time limit or you could reapply breach protocol on enemy groups, it would be good. But in the previous patches it only slowed down the pace of the game and it wasn't useful.

"Netrunning is poorly implemented, new combos or not. It feels like something was simply slapped together without much thought.

Hacking is like magic, except I need 1/3 of my RAM for a single enemy and then get sent into combat on a timer. This is dumb and annoying, but not even the most annoying part. I can overclock, turning my life into RAM, only to throw myself into combat. So, when there are more enemies than I can kill with RAM and health, I'm in a fight I'm not built for or want to be in. Netrunners now have exactly one way to play, and it's practically forced on us.

Use smart weapons, overclock, and DON'T use hacks!

But the worst part of it all, and the reason why I say netrunning was just thrown in, is that the skills under Intelligence work against each other, not together. Feedback Loop: this skill is supposed to increase my RAM regeneration for each hack in the queue. However, I don't have any hacks that take long enough to upload and are cheap enough to benefit from this. Plus, there are skills that speed up uploads. It takes me 3 seconds for 1 RAM. The advantage I get is so minimal that I couldn't even determine how quickly I could fill a single queue.

If you want to hack, you have to invest many skill points for a mediocre result and sacrifice many other currently strong alternatives. That's 17 attribute points, 1 operating system slot, 50% of all skill points (excluding smart weapon skills), and all of this just to be decent with Intelligence.

Yes, this was probably done for the DLC and will be good then. I've read this argument before, and those people should consider what makes a good game. Here's a quick tip: not by hiding gameplay behind a paywall!"

Played another 10 hours and got to the voodoo boys pacifica section. The entire game seems to be built around being able to breach protocol and use daemons. It plays terribly now. I never had to rely on smart weapons before. Netrunners are extremely dangerous and a major threat to squads linked on a subnet, but they are squishy. I don't have any presence, I don't have any tactics to use. The skill tree is neutered completely.

I can't put my finger on it, but netrunning just feels terrible. I'm going to install an older version of C2077 and figure out why. I just felt like I had way more tactical approaches and I was a major threat. The skill tree for netrunning feels terrible. I was really excited for Phantom Liberty but seeing how the tech mage was my preferred play I think I'll hold off. Maybe modders can reimplement this functionality.

This change does not fit in with the lore AT ALL. It doesn't fit into the world they built. It doesn't fit in with how netrunner played. A lot of people saying good riddance, but they either didn't know how to use it or they didn't use it. There was a way for us to have our cake and eat it too, offering varying playstyles. A simple perk for "If not breached does x more y" for those that hate this function. For the rest of us that actually liked uploading daemons and taking over the subnet, pretty much ruined the game.

If you don't care to overclock, monowire or use smart guns You're gonna have a bad time. Queue is awesome. Missing the daemons at least turrent and cameras removes another piece of your arsenal. The skill tree is really one dimensional and disappointing. I tried giving it a chance but replaying 1.63 fit my playstyle. Overclock is really an unsatisfying skill. I was full tree and it felt bad. Also the old missions do not scale well without the daemons.

indeed, combined with skill simplification feels really bad as for me, I would go as far to say that netrunner gameplay was cut in half and then annoying, hard to counter enemy quickhacks and trace mechanics was added, not going to do a netrunner playthrough this time, cdpr please fix

Nah, netrunning is still awesome, removing the breach protocol is not cool, yes, but if you combine the right cyberware with the right skills, make use of the queue and overclock mechanic it's better than it was in 1.63. Netrunning before 2.0 was just plain stupid OP onetapping.

Nah, netrunning is still awesome, removing the breach protocol is not cool, yes, but if you combine the right cyberware with the right skills, make use of the queue and overclock mechanic it's better than it was in 1.63. Netrunning before 2.0 was just plain stupid OP onetapping.
It may very well be, I'm not so far into new progression, happy that i'm not alone on issue of protocol removal, it seems like the biggest issue

This perk would've been a perfect way to introduce a re-designed Breach Protocol where V has to manually jack into enemies by grabbing them from behind in order to breach protocol and apply the various debuffs as they have before. Similarly to how we get jacked into by Meredith Stout's bodyguard;

This would then also wonderfully play into the other perk which resets tracing progress by 100% when taking down enemies from behind this way, ultimately reviving one of coolest features once showcased pre-release, the Monowire being an actual tool for the Netrunner playstyle with which they perform a breach;

3 birds with one stone.

Unfortunately instead we get a useless gimmicky Netrunner perk that goes against the ranged playstyle. The "CLOSER" we get... Like come on, even my freaking Wifi Router has bigger range than 2077 Netrunning... sheesh.

Last edited:
I guess my opinion is unpopular. I found that breaching every single combat was extremely annoying. The mini-game was cool the first time. But the 25th combat it just felt like it was pulling me out of the game. 100th combat became extremely annoying. And beyond that, I found myself just ignoring breach completely and my fun skyrocketed.

Im missing BP as well… debuffing like blind & weapon glitch was fun. 2days netrunning is more tactical? Not the slightest… I just spread system collapse or synapses burnout with the raven cyberdeck all over the place and wipe out everything even before the fights begin at all - even more op with Songbirds Quantum Cyberware equipped beeing able to overclock several times in a row. Oh and after playing around with the blackwall skill… I realized it’s just the same like contagion pre 2.0: hit a button and watch everything die without further doing… still like the dialogs & visual effects from MK6 (and Eberus respectively) tho.

just curious if it’s a bug or intended that the blackwall quick hack doesn’t spread without overclocking…

Last edited:
Top Bottom