Render scaling and FidelityFX stopped working

+
I can't speak to CDPR's support usefulness. I never had to contact them myself but from what I've seen, they are generally pretty good when presented with concise, detailed problems. Of course, if you contacted them when your game was modded and they knew it was modded, that may be why they didn't help much. It's clearly indicated that they won't offer support for modded game, rightfully so if I may add.

Anyway, I remembered why the below rang a bell.

it can crackle when coming back

Take a look at this: Cyberpunk 2077 - Audio: cracking noises – GOG SUPPORT CENTER.

Hopefully there is a solution to your problem in there.

so i tried everything on the list, but no cigar. doesn't help.
switching to a different device, like NVIDIA audio pass-thrpught is a possible solution, but due to the geometry of my set-up, i don't really want to constantly switch my headphones around. that's not a good solution at all.

any other ideas?

So when it freezes, it unfreezes by itself, how long does that usually take? Is it a matter of 10ths of a second or a little while that would allow you to observe your PC's sound software behavior at the same time?

Because the whole freezing part is what I'd like to see/know more about. As in, is it freezing and unresponsive or the software still works and only the bars themselves are stuck in place?

And switching to your motherboard's on-board sound didn't help at all?

my on-board audion chip seems to be scuffed, it's absolutely awful, that's why i have a sound card in the first place.
the freezes are very long, several seconds long at least. the game itself doesn't stutter while this happens, it's just the sound

Well that's going to make things more complicated.

You did say the monitor's built-in speakers didn't seem to have this issue but couldn't test it consistently.

I'd recommend you try looking at that. Test it thoroughly. If it doesn't happen on there then it definitely points a lot more towards your sound card itself. Is it a new sounds card or you've had it for a while?

Are you able to test it on different devices? E.g. speakers instead of your headphones.

Well... That's true of every problem ever. There is a first time for every problem you'll ever have.

Just like your mods weren't a problem before and now they suddenly were.

The fact you have no other output device to test for or no-board certainly complicates things...

I went through the thread (quickly, admittedly) to confirm, I didn't see you saying which version of Windows you're on. I'm assuming Win10+, right?

When the sound freezes, does your sound output change at all? As in, if you press on the volume icon in the bottom right corner, does it display the same output before, during and after?

Win 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Sound output indicator freezes together with the sound itself. it happens too fast for me to fiddle around in sound settings to look around, but the sound output device doesn't change on it's own, i don't think. otherwise i'd have heard the sound coming from the monitor speakers

Not necessarily, normal behavior would be that it switches to your on-board or monitor speakers. Typically, on-board would be favored.

I have no knowledge of your setup, if it switches to your on-board, would it require changing to plug your headphones somewhere else to hear sound?

Furthermore, it's abnormal event which means normal behavior isn't a guarantee. It never completely is but you get what I mean.

Try taking a loot at your event viewer. Easiest way to access the correct path would be to open up device manager -> sound, videos.. -> right click your sound card -> open properties -> event tab -> click "view all events".

Anything in there?

If not, can you get in-game, wait til the sound issue happen and then open up the event viewer for your sound card, anything in it now?

Huh...

That's unfortunate. There is just very little, almost nothing in fact, to go on here.

I mean, my instinct is that the card may be faulty. Whether it's been a long time coming or something happened when you changed your GPU/installed your new GPU's driver, I do not know. Nor am I implying you did something wrong.

Thing is, besides your monitor's built in speakers working fine, there isn't any ways to test a sound card the same way you could test, say, a GPU. At least, not to my knowledge. Your motherboard's on-board is shot from what I understand and you don't have speakers or other devices to test out.

Have you tried removing the sound card's drivers completely and reinstalling them?

If you already have done so, then I'm running out of ideas.

yeah i tried reinstalling drivers like that, DDU has the feature.
i think CDPR is to blame. sound was the one thing that wasn't ever a problem for me before 1.61

Following the sequence of events, it also worked fine until you switched your GPU.

Either way, it's a fallacy to immediately blame CDPR because it worked before. As demonstrated by your previous issue. You seemed to blame the game/patch 1.61 because it worked fine before and now the game wasn't working as intended, yet a clean install fixed that.

Anyway, it's your prerogative to blame CDPR if you feel like it. I'm not out to try to convince you otherwise. Their game/patch may be to blame but in my opinion it's far more likely they are not. This isn't a widespread, or even common, problem after all.

If you are convinced they are then I would strongly suggest to get in touch with their support. Provide a Dxdiag and if possible a video of it happening. They'll be in a better position to help than anyone here if it truly is an issue with their game and/or patch.

i couldn't extensively test the game with my 1070, so i can't be certain that this issue has anything to do with the new GPU

Be that as it may, it only reinforces my point.

You can't be certain either way. Odds are against you though.

Anyway, like I previously said, it's your prerogative. Blame them if you want. I have no interest in the blame game. I find it irrelevant to be honest. Resolving the issue is the only important part.

I know you don't have much, if any, esteem for CDPR's support but I do believe you have reached a point where they are your best chance at a fix that doesn't require a hardware swap.

Personally, I'd go out and buy a sound card to replace mine just to test it out. Then bring it back if it doesn't work but I know it's not a necessarily a possibility for everyone.

Top Bottom