Repetative Random NPC Dialogues

+
Repetative Random NPC Dialogues

Is anyone else bothered by the repetative NPC dialogues? In a game like The Witcher 3 you are bound to pass through some locations several times. But problem is, whenever you walk the streets of Novigrad or pass through some village in Velen, NPCs always use the same repetative lines of dialogue. Women in White Orchard talk about a witcher that was interrogated and killed, a kid singing about Emhyr in foul language, a villager inviting his friend over for booze and is told that his pal now has a different, Nilfgaardian, name. And that's just within one village! Bridge guards at Crow's Perch always talk about the same thing each time Geralt is there to cross the bride. Examples are countless.
I realize that with a limited budget you can't make more of those random dialogues. But it would be much less immersion-breaking if NPCs would only repeat them once. I hope this can be done with a patch or a mod.

Not really honestly. I do specifically remember that kid in White Orchard and finding that repetitive bit annoying because you go by him multiple times in the course of a couple hours. But since there are only a finite number of voice recordings they can do for non-named NPCs, I actually thought it was done pretty well. There were a few other times I remember thinking - "that's probably the fourth time I've heard that bit of dialogue" - but given that a full play-through takes more than a hundred hours, I thought there was pretty decent variety. Nothing nearly as bad as "took an arrow to the knee."

Yeah, but I mean if they only allowed those bits of dialogue to play once and then just filled the streets with ambient noises, than that thought "that's probably the fourth time I've heard that bit of dialogue" wouldn't even occur. So why stick to those repetative lines?

Yeah, but I mean if they only allowed those bits of dialogue to play once and then just filled the streets with ambient noises, than that thought "that's probably the fourth time I've heard that bit of dialogue" wouldn't even occur.

Then the complaints would be about silent NPCs. :) Ideally, there should have been more dialogue recorded, but it is not cheap, and there are already thousands of lines of community dialogues in the game.

Hmm, not sure if I really see the major problem here. Though of course everyone has their opinions.

So It would be more immersive if people would remain mute after the first time you pass them? Take Novigrad, where you walk around a very solid amount of hours, and on the first passing there wouldn't be any dialogue between the countless citizens at all. That would be more immersive city?

Interesting opinion. I personally find the massive amount of dialogue impressive itself in the first place, no matter that it might be the same conversations over and over again. There are so many of them, even in the middle of nowhere. I think that makes the world truly living.

So It would be more immersive if people would remain mute after the first time you pass them? Take Novigrad, where you walk around a very solid amount of hours, and on the first passing there wouldn't be any dialogue between the countless citizens at all. That would be more immersive city?

Yes, as long as you fill it with crowd ambient and inaudible yelling or something. There are techniques for that. But anything beats hearing the same dialogue with a guy who found mouse poo in their bread as Geralt passes a specific street in Novigrad.

It would actually more immersive them being mute then encountering the same laughing farting guy in every village. or a boy asking if anyone wants to jump in puddles, or the guy commenting on the rain every 10 seconds. Or something about nordic women not bathing every time you walk past a soldier.

The dialogue isn't the issue, it's just that it's the same phrases and and they get repeated a few times a minute by the same NPC if you're not moving.

no lol. its such a massive game with so many real character convos I dont expect them to make fully new convos for a bunch of worthless npc that you cant do anything with. same as RD2 did

Top Bottom