Replaying TW3, Gwent feels so different

+
Replaying TW3, Gwent feels so different

Just started re-playing TW3 and I did not realise how much Gwent has changed. Two things that I prefer in vanilla Gwent is:

- Cards need to last entire match, no extras. Some minor caveats,

- Cards specific to rows.

When I played new Gwent recently, I noticed that you can move any card into any row. And, you can draw a lot more cards than you ever could. I feel these two things ruin the experience for me and the game would be better if it went back to basics in this regards.

I should say though that I don't play new Gwent anywhere near as much as I thought I would, so I am no expert but, thats because of how un Gwent it feels, compared to TW3.

I haven't played Witcher Gwent (played closed beta), but tutoring and thinning in current Gwent is fine. Mill decks should have a win condition against super-thinning decks for example. You don't draw any cards each turn like in other card games, not going through more than 55% of your deck every game is not how Gwent should be. With preferred rows, some tutors could have slightly different abilities, to not instantly lose against mill decks (like boosting from 1 to 6 strength, etc, not the best value, but better than losing instantly). Preferred rows is of course as well a better solution than row-locked units like in original Witcher Gwent.

Edit: Some tutors might be a bit too good though. Reconnaissance should show you one bronze unit with ability to play it, or choose another bronze unit that you don't see, and play it.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of bringing back importance to rows. All cards agile is just a dumb move that simplifies the game. I was going a preferred row system was going to come back for homecoming instead I learn today rows are no longer a thing

You can (and should) draw all your deck on original witcher 3 gwent due to spies and muster abilities. If you arent, than your deck is probably kinda crappy...

I dont see a problem with drawing all your deck either, in fact, thats one of the things that make gwent shine; The more you draw, the less the draw RNG is, to the point it can be almost irrelevant. That, in turn, favors good deck building and player skill.

I agree with the row-lock.

VoidStormer;n10920389 said:
One of my over abused strategies in Witcher 3 Gwent was to play as many spies as I could and also use all my Decoys to replay enemy spies back!

Dont forget resurrecting them either.

Mancoon1980;n10920203 said:
I was a big fan of bringing back importance to rows. All cards agile is just a dumb move that simplifies the game. I was going a preferred row system was going to come back for homecoming instead I learn today rows are no longer a thing

I couldn't agree more. I didn't play Gwent for some months and then I tried to play a game last week and found it unplayable! Cards that can be played in every row just sucks! This is not Gwent.

I don't understand why people complain about units not being locked to specific rows. What benefit did you have from units being locked to specific rows (also remember the many of ST units wasn't ever row locked)

Nivellen;n10921457 said:
I don't understand why people complain about units not being locked to specific rows. What benefit did you have from units being locked to specific rows (also remember the many of ST units wasn't ever row locked)

It made strategy choices interesting in Witcher Gwent. Weather cards targeting a particular row became useful if a faction over committed to a single row. The Horns had to be played carefully. Villentretenmerth helped turn around games often, especially against monster swarms.

Nivellen;n10921457 said:

Because that is what Gwent was all about, it was fundamental to how you played the game. The game is not Gwent without it.

VoidStormer;n10921628 said:
It made strategy choices interesting in Witcher Gwent. Weather cards targeting a particular row became useful if a faction over committed to a single row. The Horns had to be played carefully. Villentretenmerth helped turn around games often, especially against monster swarms.

How exactly faction could not over commit to a row (not speaking about ST) if there was no choice of where to play. The choices was basically limited to.: play more in this round or no.

Nivellen;n10921820 said:
How exactly faction could not over commit to a row (not speaking about ST) if there was no choice of where to play. The choices was basically limited to.: play more in this round or no.

Exactly. Continue playing now on this row and being vulnerable to a big igni or pass now and risk the round? Thats a big strategic decision right here that a good player would usually call it right.

Gwent with all agile cards is almost like chess with all pieces moving like a queen.

I agree that Gwent has lost its charm for me . Back in the closed beta I could play thia game for hours on end, constantly switching decks and strategies. It was great and so fun. It was about skill. I mean when they first advertised this game the catchphrase was "Skill beats luck". You won't find that phrase anymore. It's all about who goes first, card advantage, and RNG. The "create" mechanic is just one of the things ruining this game. The graphics are terrible too now. The Witcher universe is a dark fantasy world not a daytime disney cartoon. When someone used to play a scorch card it was like your whole world was burning with despair. Now its like shitty candle burning out . The other hazards and boons are poofy as well. Even the sound effects have been lightened up like an old nokia phone I just want to silence. I don't think the game should be exactly like the Witcher 3 version but I do think that their original vision is what the game should be .

DCeiTFuL;n10924721 said:
The Witcher universe is a dark fantasy world not a daytime disney cartoon. When someone used to play a scorch card it was like your whole world was burning with despair. Now its like shitty candle burning out . The other hazards and boons are poofy as well. Even the sound effects have been lightened up like an old nokia phone I just want to silence. I don't think the game should be exactly like the Witcher 3 version but I do think that their original vision is what the game should be .
Criticisms such as these almost certainly contributed to the REDs' decision to rework visual elements for GWENT Homecoming:
Lilayah;n10800231 said:
Homecoming will bring back a darker aesthetic and mood, more in sync with the original Witcher lore. We’ll change the main menus and in-game shop, as well as work on a consistent UI and UX throughout the entire game.
For those players who feel the game has lost its charm, the REDs have stated that,
Lilayah;n10800231 said:
We want GWENT to kick some serious ass and reignite your passion for our beloved CCG.

Last edited:
Riven-Twain;n10924748 said:
Criticisms such as these almost certainly contributed to the REDs' decision to rework visual elements for GWENT Homecoming:
For those players who feel the game has lost its charm, the REDs have stated that,

I have read the stuff about homecoming. I really hope they can make Gwent shine and feel the way Damien Monnier and the small team originally envisaged. One of the great things about it for me, is that there was a simplicity to it but, it got far to overly complicated for my liking. It felt more like a Heathstone clone in the end.

i agree some decks can be unnoyingly consistent, especially the boats and the alchemy decks ( you know who i am talking about right?). its super annoying how you need 10 posts to post your own topic considering this is closed beta and you are actually trying to gather more opinions :D going to post some numbers in random posts :D

Top Bottom