Request: An optional 'variable movement' combo key for PC users

+

Would you support a variable movement combo key, as described below, in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Yes

• No (Please explain why below, for my own interest)

• No preference

Results are only viewable after voting.
that's either removing the mousewheel from use for something very situational or requiring two none movement inputs to modulate speed. that's just cumbersome.
Mouse wheel usually ends up being used for quick switching of weapons that are already keybinded to 1-9 anyway, and it could still be used for that since the what @Snowflakez suggested would give the player contextual control over their own use of the mouse wheel by only turning it into a speed changer when "alt" is held down temporarily. Snow's idea would actually function even better if it was all "Caps lock" or all "Alt" key only, so that only one key gets used.
Example:
Scroll mouse wheel to cycle through already key bound weapons 1-9
Hold Alt key to make mouse wheel scroll speed change
without touching mouse wheel, tap Alt key to reset speed to casual/usual speed
Problem solved! :D Mouse wheel completely retains its functionality, and only one other key is used as a context controller that the player decides when and how to use. Bingo!

you'd tap at an interval proportional to how fast you want to go. even if you had to hold a second key to get this, I think its better than needed two none movement inputs to accomplish this. the less individual keys you have to press to do something, the better, imo.
This works better for racing in a car, but I don't like how it feels for walking or running or sneaking because it makes my character in most games very stiff, hesitant, twitchy, and very slow to react. Makes for a very painful experience :(

you wouldn't even have known if I hadn't told you. its extremely subtle. Snowflakez didn't even notice it and he actually played the game.
Trust me, I would have known. :)

its impossible to have a game fully under your control to that extent without involving 5 million key bindings. Arma tried to do that and it's a mess.
Snow or I wasn't suggesting anything even remotely close to that. :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

I am all for controls that give players a reason for agility and flexibility stats. Or, keeping stats out of the picture, just allowing more precise movements. I can't say "yes" enough.
Having more of an "analog" feel is why people, like myself, still buy things with buttons, knobs, and switches as opposed to digital everything. Being able to give more human input to something like a key board would be greatly appreciated!
Oh gosh, Wow. I know right? *go to store* *looking for salt shaker* "blue tooth wifi salt shaker!" "NOPE. I care not for the internet of things." "MY TOILET DOES NOT NEED TO TELL THE NSA HOW OFTEN I FLUSH!" reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
100% in agreement there! :D

its too late because the well is already poisoned, but trust me, you wouldn't have.
What is too late, Which well is poisoned, and with what exactly?
And I do beg your pardon but I know myself better than you do, Good day!

Which well is poisoned? And with what exactly?
And I do beg your pardon but I know myself better than you do, Good day!

He means to say, now that he has already told you the feature exists (I think), you'd more easily realize it.

I gave good reasons in the OP for wanting it. Stealth is one of them...

...And I seriously doubt a QoL feature that's this small would have any meaningful impact on development as a whole. This literally already exists for console, and controllers on PC, I imagine it wouldn't be an impossible task to work it into keyboard/mouse controls.

I understood why you want it, and if it's easy to put in as you're saying, well maybe go for it. But I don't want a game with 10 000 options in the settings menu, and that would be the case if they put in every little option what people want in the game.
So is this one of the options that's a must? No, not for me and most people. If it's in the game, it's in the game and I would still buy it and have fun. But I would prefer this and many other options people are saying they want in the game are not in the options menu. Just my preference, but it's up to CDPR, and it's nothing I really care about about the game.

I understood why you want it, and if it's easy to put in as you're saying, well maybe go for it. But I don't want a game with 10 000 options in the settings menu, and that would be the case if they put in every little option what people want in the game.
So is this one of the options that's a must? No, not for me and most people. If it's in the game, it's in the game and I would still buy it and have fun. But I would prefer this and many other options people are saying they want in the game are not in the options menu. Just my preference, but it's up to CDPR, and it's nothing I really care about about the game.
No worries. Sorry if I sounded a little harsh, not my intention, I was just giving my thoughts.

And you're right, there's definitely a lot of "optional" features people request. But this one seems more practical than many, because all it's doing is bringing parity between the console and PC versions of the game -- no more, no less. It's not adding new content, or changing existing content.

He means to say, now that he has already told you the feature exists (I think), you'd more easily realize it.
basically.

its REALLY subtle. it gets caught up in the other animation changes and its really more of a visual effect. I mostly brought it up to show that they made an automatic system that can handle it based on context. the speed changes but not drastically. you only notice it if you're explicitly looking for it.

I never would have known if I hadn't seen a gameplay demo from the devs when it was in press cycle. it really is super subtle. ill see if I can dig it up. it doesn't really help you sneak, its really more just an animation adjustment that makes you move slightly slower. its just proof of concept.

Wait, which feature exactly? The one you are suggesting, or... (totally lost now sorry :( )

If clutter is a problem, may I suggest two different menu tabs?
Basic Menu
and then
Advanced settings
? :think:

basically.
its REALLY subtle. it gets caught up in the other animation changes and its really more of a visual effect. I mostly brought it up to show that they made an automatic system that can handle it based on context. the speed changes but not drastically. you only notice it if you're explicitly looking for it.
I never would have known if I hadn't seen a gameplay demo from the devs when it was in press cycle. it really is super subtle. ill see if I can dig it up. it doesn't really help you sneak, its really more just an animation adjustment that makes you move slightly slower. its just proof of concept.
When I said I would notice it, I don't believe I said I would see it visually, I would notice it otherwise because it would change the feeling of the movement in the game. :shrug:

Wait, which feature exactly? The one you are suggesting, or... (totally lost now sorry :( )

Basic Menu
and then
Advanced settings
? :think:

When I said I would notice it, I don't believe I said I would see it visually, I would notice it otherwise because it would change the feeling of the movement in the game. :shrug:
The thing you two were discussing, I.E., the automatically slowing down when you approach enemies thing.

you really don't, that's the thing. like I said, its more of an animation alteration, the actual speed change is barely there, I wouldn't have even known its a thing if the devs hadn't mentioned it themselves.

you really don't, that's the thing. like I said, its more of an animation alteration, the actual speed change is barely there, I wouldn't have even known its a thing if the devs hadn't mentioned it themselves.
Sorry, I disagree. I know I would have noticed it. You must allow me to be myself Please. I know myself. Kindly let it rest. :think:

Basic Menu
and then
Advanced settings

I was about to say that to, but it feels dumb to have an advanced keybinding menu if it's for 1-5 keybindings. All the options people want in the game will be in different tabs I would guess, so it may be a good thing to have in some places depending on how many "special" options that tab has. You usually see this in the graphics tab.

I was about to say that to, but it feels dumb to have an advanced keybinding menu if it's for 1-5 keybindings. All the options people want in the game will be in different tabs I would guess, so it may be a good thing to have in some places depending on how many "special" options that tab has. You usually see this in the graphics tab.
Yea! :D I actually love it when there are multiple different menu settings tabs like in The Witcher 3 because there is less clutter overall, and I can easily find all the settings better. :) (and there's also room for more settings!) :D

that's either removing the mousewheel from use for something very situational or requiring two none movement inputs to modulate speed. that's just cumbersome.

Not if the variable speed modifier key is a toggle. For instance, say your "crouch" or "sneak" button is set as a toggle. Let's call it button A. You're going at normal speed, using your normal move button, and decide to be sneaky. So you press button A to toggle slow speed to the on state (sneak speed). While sneaking you would press this hypothetical variable speed modifier key to activate it. Now your mouse wheel loses it's default function and becomes a speed adjustment wheel. Hit the modifier key again and the mouse wheel goes back to the default function.

I don't like needing extra keys involved in something that could realistically just use one key.

Yeah I absolutely wish more games implemented this on PC. Link it to mouse wheel and we can control our walking speed with ease. I think the chances of this happening are almost zero since so few devs bother with this, and frankly CDPR doesn't have a great multi-plat track record. However...I was one of the first on this forum to point out that V clearly has dynamic walking speed in the 2018 demo. So this raises some question regarding the impact this adjustable speed has on stealth, and whether it'll be on both platforms.

I'll just use a controller if I want more options for movement speed.

I'd rather use the mouse wheel for something else, and modifier key systems are just plain annoying. There's a reason why I never used strong attack in the Witcher 3 until I rebound it to its own key.

I wouldn't use this but I can support it for people who would, hence 'No preference'.

I'll just use a controller if I want more options for movement speed.

I'm going to play 2077 on PC when it comes out with a controller for this very "human input" reason. I will also use keyboard+mouse, but I am really wondering what option will become more immersive and/or comfortable.

I've never used a controller for PC stuff before, but I am going to end up playing 2077 a whole bunch and it's more about what a more relaxed way to play will be. I like the joystick precision in movements, it also helps when wanting to sit awkwardly or something IRL.

But if there is any way to reflect that in a keyboard then that would be great...because...keyboard.

Top Bottom