Request: Better Controls / Quicker Character Movement Changes

+
I always use locked walk to move and it is much much better. If you use then decide to run it's immediate. Always walking is much much better than always running. Much better control, no jerkiness and you can decide to run whenever you want.

I don't know if with gamepad is the same, but with keyboard + mouse, locked walk (ctrl-sx) is much better than the normal scheme.

Last edited:
exactly im using wireless 360 gamepad i have to turn down the sensitivity to way low. and even that is too sensitive for fluid movement, trying to walk is a challenge.. ==""

+1 from me. No idea how this movement made it out of beta... (Although there's quite a bit in this game that makes you wonder if beta even ended.)

No matter how much I play the game, I find I'm still getting frustrated by the movement. Throw in dodgey targeting during combat and the woeful ps4 frame rate and I'm likely to crack a controller.

Far too much fighting with the controls in this game. Here's to hoping CDPR bless us with a patch.

I'm with you. The little animations when you press the key and geralt doing actually the action is very VERY annoying... For moving and for combat...

DEFINITELY AGREE!!! I was just about to start digging through the options to see if there was some way to turn off this annoying "more realistic" control scheme! I am constantly running past what I am trying to run up to and then having to turn around. If I stop pressing the movement key I want to stop moving right then, I don't care if it's realistic or not. Obviously there are people that like how this feels, but maybe the rest of us could have an option to turn it off?

The movement is HORRIBAD. No joke. When it takes (PC user) 2 to 3 minutes to loot a single barrel then there's something wrong.

This game needs some serious polish in the out of combat movement area. I'm not sure I've ever played a game that reacted so slow and was so fluid-less.

I also prefer the realistic movement. It's fine. Already used to it. Curious if you guys are using kb+mouse or controller?

I also prefer the realistic movement. It's fine. Already used to it. Curious if you guys are using kb+mouse or controller?

KB & Mouse, funny how you said you are 'already used to it' which means you compromised, didn't like it at first but have adapted.

And for anyone to say it's realistic is an injustice to the gaming world.

KB & Mouse, funny how you said you are 'already used to it' which means you compromised, didn't like it at first but have adapted.

And for anyone to say it's realistic is an injustice to the gaming world.

Actually getting used to something means it's a new experience. I never said it was a negative experience.

I actually prefer how this game's combat is A LOT more than Witcher 2 or Witcher 1.

Am I the only one that uses left control to switch to walking when in houses/tight spaces because it offers much more precise movement?

Also I like the fact that Geralts movements have weight to them and stopping in a full on sprint should look like it has weight, but you do not need to take it so far, just have him do a quick little "slide" if the player choose to quickly stop instead of having Geralt walk a 3 or so paces ahead.

A tip also for some of you, you do not have to "stop" to get on Geralts horse

If you sprint toward it (from behind it) an dhold space Geralt will jump utop it , you do not need to go to the sides of it. This is a lot quicker and allows you to run to the horse without having to "stop" to get on it.

Dude, it's not realistic movements. I think it's just not optimized or done correctly. You can have realistic movements without the control problems. Furthermore, "realistic" slow movements are for humans not Witchers.

Also, realistic is when Geralt shouldn't be running around in circles just to pin point an item. Hopefully the next patch will fix some of these problems with the controls. It's just a matter of time.

ABOUT GERALT IN GAME:
The game should make it easy to do everything with ease and fluidity. Geralt should have faster responsive movements, not to mention he's suppose to have speed and agility. Having Geralt move like regular people is unrealistic, boring and tedious. I see Geralt as a monster with speed and agility like a wolf. But in the game, he acts realistically like a regular human. Nothing like how he is in the trailers. I wish they make Geralt less of a human in terms of movement and speed at least. He moves and fight exactly like a human (but slower than bruce lee). When I see Geralt, I would imagine him being able to jump atop a building or at least have a better jumping height/speed than a regular human. I think it will be a lot of fun if Geralt is portrayed like that in the game where he can move anywhere with ease, like in Batman games. Batman is way faster than Geralt in the games, and Batman is human. Man if they make Geralt more like the books/trailers (or even half the strength), it would make exploring so much better.

Geralt should be a badass and it should be easy for him to dispose one or two guys without armor. You can have Geralt fight like a badass but still make the game hard in other ways. I don't think Geralt should have a hard time beating humans. It should just be the monsters or wild hunt that should give him problems. And we all know that monsters are stronger than humans. So:

MONSTERS > HUMANS

And Geralt is a monster slayer...

GERALT > MONSTERS > HUMANS

Conclusion: Geralt should not move and attack slower than a regular human. The game looks and feels that way.

/rant

I use a combination of M&K (menus) and gamepad (everything else), both are equally bad for movement because Geralt has a turning radius of an Airbus 380. Combat actually works fine with the pad, it's more comfortable and fluid for me, but then you can't quickly swap between signs and going through the radial menu every time sucks.

I wonder what the chance of CDPR fixing this is. Maybe if they release an Enhanced Edition, but that's at least six months away and that's a long time for someone who bought the CE...

The clunky controls, especially while swimming certainly do tarnish what is one of the best RPGs of all time. I really hope the devs don't just say "Good enough!" and opt not to improve them, because that would be a real shame.

Dude, it's not realistic movements. I think it's just not optimized or done correctly. You can have realistic movements without the control problems. Furthermore, "realistic" slow movements are for humans not Witchers.

Also, realistic is when Geralt shouldn't be running around in circles just to pin point an item. Hopefully the next patch will fix some of these problems with the controls. It's just a matter of time.

ABOUT GERALT IN GAME:
The game should make it easy to do everything with ease and fluidity. Geralt should have faster responsive movements, not to mention he's suppose to have speed and agility. Having Geralt move like regular people is unrealistic, boring and tedious. I see Geralt as a monster with speed and agility like a wolf. But in the game, he acts realistically like a regular human. Nothing like how he is in the trailers. I wish they make Geralt less of a human in terms of movement and speed at least. He moves and fight exactly like a human (but slower than bruce lee). When I see Geralt, I would imagine him being able to jump atop a building or at least have a better jumping height/speed than a regular human. I think it will be a lot of fun if Geralt is portrayed like that in the game where he can move anywhere with ease, like in Batman games. Batman is way faster than Geralt in the games, and Batman is human. Man if they make Geralt more like the books/trailers (or even half the strength), it would make exploring so much better.

Geralt should be a badass and it should be easy for him to dispose one or two guys without armor. You can have Geralt fight like a badass but still make the game hard in other ways. I don't think Geralt should have a hard time beating humans. It should just be the monsters or wild hunt that should give him problems. And we all know that monsters are stronger than humans. So:

MONSTERS > HUMANS

And Geralt is a monster slayer...

GERALT > MONSTERS > HUMANS

Conclusion: Geralt should not move and attack slower than a regular human. The game looks and feels that way.

/rant

When I said realistic I mean in terms of his movement having "weight" to it.

When you're running in a full on sprint, regardless of being a mutated Witcher or not, you still abide by the laws of physics, you do not go from a full sprint to a sudden stop without moving or doing something to transfer that force.

Plenty of games keep this sense of "weight" without having the movement feel sluggish or go where you don't by simply having the character in a full on sprint (ehen you stop them) going into a quick little "slide" with their feet to show that they came to a sudden stop by sliding instead of a more casual slower stop like what Geralt does right now.

I agree Geralt should move fast and more agile, I agree that the controls should be mor eprecise in regards to moving and stopping when the player wants.

However I just hope the keep the sense of weight if they change it to show that Geralt has weight and his movement doesn't feel "floaty" or unnatural like it would if they simply had him going from resting>sprint without animation or from sprint>full stop by simply having him "stop" with no animation to show this.

Was any changes made in 1.03?
If it didnt change on PC i have a hard time seeing this will be changed on console.

Was any changes made in 1.03?
If it didnt change on PC i have a hard time seeing this will be changed on console.
Keyboard key presses are somewhat more responsive, it didn't change anything about Geralt's sluggish animations or inertia.

Top Bottom