Request: Better Controls / Quicker Character Movement Changes

+
When you're running in a full on sprint, regardless of being a mutated Witcher or not, you still abide by the laws of physics, you do not go from a full sprint to a sudden stop without moving or doing something to transfer that force.

However I just hope the keep the sense of weight if they change it to show that Geralt has weight and his movement doesn't feel "floaty" or unnatural like it would if they simply had him going from resting>sprint without animation or from sprint>full stop by simply having him "stop" with no animation to show this.

Er, what? You don't see athletes taking a step or three before they start running. In fact, my neighbours probably think I'm a bit of a twat since I just ran back and forth across the floor just to prove to myself that you can, in fact, go from standing still to sprinting without any walking steps in between. Stopping is a lot harder, particularly with socks on a hardwood floor, but on a better surface providing actual traction that wouldn't be a problem either. There is a difference between heavy and clunky. Dark Souls is heavy. A bit too heavy at some points since the attacks invariably consist of wide, slow swings that wouldn't make sense in real life. But it's never really clunky. The closest you get to clunky is rolling in heavy armour, where it's intended. Other than that the movement and combat is really responsive, unlike this game.

I dunno...asking for a patch for "better controls" is kinda funny to me. I mean, if you don't like the game then you don't like the game. But, I can't say I've ever heard of "better controls" being patched into a game before.

I dunno...asking for a patch for "better controls" is kinda funny to me. I mean, if you don't like the game then you don't like the game. But, I can't say I've ever heard of "better controls" being patched into a game before.

It's not the controls, it's the clunkiness. It's the delay between things like dodging and attacking or the handful of steps you need to walk before Geralt starts running.

Well, first of all, "Rostan Muggs" for you all (I've learned thats a very polite way to cumpliment people in Poland)

I can't agree more on this, but we have to respect the people who like it the way it its, so... just make the thing as an gameplay option and let the user choose between the "natural" or the "fluid" version of the moviment. I will go for fluid anytime, but thats just me.

Well, first of all, "Rostan Muggs" for you all (I've learned thats a very polite way to cumpliment people in Poland)

I can't agree more on this, but we have to respect the people who like it the way it its, so... just make the thing as an gameplay option and let the user choose between the "natural" or the "fluid" version of the moviment. I will go for fluid anytime, but thats just me.

There's nothing natural about it, that's the thing. There is nothing natural about being unable to break into a run without taking a handful of arbitrary steps first or about not being able to pick up an item on the floor because you keep walking past it. It might be poor design. It might be a bug. It's definitely not acceptable.

They haven't even said they intend to change anything about this. For all we know, it's working as intended.

I know, but I'v seen enough post about this for them to consider it. It isn't very hard to fix either. They should just remove the Animation coating in start and end of other animations.

Actually getting used to something means it's a new experience. I never said it was a negative experience.

I actually prefer how this game's combat is A LOT more than Witcher 2 or Witcher 1.

In gaming, the most natural feeling controls are the best. Unnatural means compromising and 'dealing with it' until you get used to it. If you even need to think about it in a game it's likely not done right.

Natural in this case is actually the total opposite of what what natural or real is.
If I run towards a spot and you want to stop at a certain point to pick something up. It's not like your brain and legs are going to overshoot it.
While in the game, you run foward to pick up loot, you release the stick and plays the stupid stop animation. You miss the spot and you circle 14 times to be able to get to the loot.

Everyone who does NOT have a problem with this:
Try running in a circle. Move the left stick to the outer-edges in a big fluid and constant movement.
Any other game character would spin around then. Our lovely character goes every which way.

Last edited:
Natural in this case is actually the total opposite of what what natural or real is.
If I run towards a spot and you want to stop at a certain point to pick something up. It's not like your brain and legs are going to overshoot it.
While in the game, you run foward to pick up loot, you release the stick and plays the stupid stop animation. You miss the spot and you circle 14 times to be able to get to the loot.

Everyone who does NOT have a problem with this:
Try running in a circle. Move the left stick to the outer-edges in a big fluid and constant movement.
Any other game character would spin around then. Our lovely character goes every which way.

So true, I've had to adapt a lot to accommodate for this and I'm surprised this wasn't listed on any game reviews as being 'ugh'. What's worse is when there's a lootable item underneath something or in a cluster of other objects and there's just no good way to get to it and find that single small little precise 'loot item' spot. This is the farthest from 'natural' you can get.

Funny how reviewers complained about the movement in the combat system but not out of combat. I'm almost good with the combat feel but deplore the out of combat feel.

I have to admit, one of the first things i noticed is how movement begins and ends. It's only a temporary solution to use walking, but this delay between moving and not moving is bugging the hell out of me though.

Last edited:
Signed up to the forums just for this reason.

- No strafe option. Usually the camera is used to turn (with no camera lag) and the 'A' & 'D' keys are mapped to strafe. Look at any MMO or most 3rd person games on the PC. Look at GW2 in particular as combat is fast and fluid, including dodging.

- Why does Geralt draw his sword when monsters are near, then put it back again when in combat?

- Takes ages to get Geralt in the right position to pick up loot. Far too many times, when pressing 'E' to light a fire, I've had to stand so close to the fire that I'm set alight.

- Why no walk backwards? When I press backwards 'S', he just turns around and walks towards the screen.

- Using the crossbow is just odd... sometimes he shoots, sometimes he aims, at other times he just keeps swapping the crossbow for a sword. Also, is there a way to 'not' fire after aiming, for example a monster has moved out of line of sight... how do you put the crossbow away without firing a shot?

- Horse turning... when turning around, sometimes when I press one direction, say left, the horse turns to the right instead. Really annoying during mounted combat.

- Is there a way to make it so that Geralt only draws or sheathes his sword on command. Twice now, he's drawn his sword with monsters near, but guard NPC's are nearby and start attacking because I won't put my sword away... then Geralt just sheathes his sword for no reason whilst I'm getting attacked by two different mobs; monsters and guards.

- Falling off stuff. I've fallen off ledges a few times because the walk animation hasn't finished. It can take a long time to position the character in the right place and the right direction when fine movements are needed.

- Defeated by a plank of wood. Several times in combat, Geralt or his horse has been unable to move because there's a wooden plank, probably no bigger than a few inches, or a similar blockage. These things are smaller than stairs, but have the power to stop a running horse. It's a bit silly to watch.

- I've tried using a controller, but that's no better, so I went back to mouse and keyboard.

To be honest, the game is ruined by the control and combat system, it makes what should have been a great game just an average game that looks pretty. I'm new to the Witcher series, so no doubt fans of the games are used to the control system, but hey... it really needs a lot of changes.

Last edited:
Your average Premiership footballer can move, change speed and direction quicker than Geralt... and no-one is trying to kill them whilst doing it.

There's plenty of games out there with realistic movement and fast, precise combat. Saying it's 'realistic' is nonsense because it's not 'realistic' at all... I mean, have you seen Geralt jumping or dodging? Realism is thrown out of the window there, or at least, the level of realism that is supposedly attached to his movement.

I don't mind the horse controls so much because I don't think the response time should be as immediate there, but I agree that moving Geralt around is way harder than it needs to be. Getting into position to click E on anything is far too tedious. He takes too long to get moving or to stop.

I agree. And my friends playing it are complaining about the same issue.

Thing is, Im sure it's intended. When you run in real life, you need to do a few steps before you stop.Same when you are running and stop.

BUT, this is a game. Playability > working like in real life. Less annoyances > working like in real life. Smooth gameplay > working like in real life

I get you, it's realistic, but it's annoying. For picking plants or looting it's even SUPER annoying. Remove those few steps when you try to stop.

When u run for 2 feet in real life, you don't need 5 feet to stop running....

I would love to be able to crouch I hate when you can't in any game but this kinda game is especially annoying, when I can't can't walk somewhere becuase my head hits the branch or rock overhang and to be able to keep out of sight ducking behind a rock or tree and I know witchers like to sneak up from behind to get the jump on someone or to avoid being seen and switch the run and jump buttons around! Loving the game every where else

Falling Damage is the more dangerous than combat on Death Marches. Also a tip for early on if you are playing the 2 hardest difficulties. Get the ability early on the regens HP during the daytime. If I get into a tough battle and lose HP, just wait to regain HP so you are consistently burning Food/Drink and can conserve it for when you really need it during a battle.

Signed up to the forums just for this reason.

- No strafe option. Usually the camera is used to turn (with no camera lag) and the 'A' & 'D' keys are mapped to strafe. Look at any MMO or most 3rd person games on the PC. Look at GW2 in particular as combat is fast and fluid, including dodging.

-Why no walk backwards? When I press backwards 'S', he just turns around and walks towards the screen.

To be honest, the game is ruined by the control and combat system, it makes what should have been a great game just an average game that looks pretty. I'm new to the Witcher series, so no doubt fans of the games are used to the control system, but hey... it really needs a lot of changes.

I quote you on just these few points, because frankly, i haven't even gotten into the game enough to have seen any of the other issues you mention.
I haven't been "playing" The Witcher 3 yet, the 3-4 hours i've spent on it so far, i have fought the control system....a loosing battle i might add.
Strafing and moving backwards, the bread and butter of any 1st person or 3rd person game, non-existent.
It appears, they just assigned a key for each one of the controller buttons, and then called it a kb/m control scheme.
There simply was no development for a dedicated PC control scheme, i refuse to believe anyone stating otherwise.
The whole UI and kb/m control shouts "console port" to me...and one of the worst i've seen at that.
I don't know if this is even recoverable now, or too fundamentally embedded in the design to ever change.
My hopes are with CDPR and possibly the modding community.
As it stands right now, TW3 could end up being "the greatest game i never played" for me.
I will try again over the weekend, i'm still willing to adapt....it just boggles the mind that they would release the game with such rubbish kb/m controls.

Top Bottom