Request: Better Controls / Quicker Character Movement Changes

+
Falling Damage is the more dangerous than combat on Death Marches. Also a tip for early on if you are playing the 2 hardest difficulties. Get the ability early on the regens HP during the daytime. If I get into a tough battle and lose HP, just wait to regain HP so you are consistently burning Food/Drink and can conserve it for when you really need it during a battle.
You know you have the meditation for that.

To be honest, the game is ruined by the control and combat system, it makes what should have been a great game just an average game that looks pretty. I'm new to the Witcher series, so no doubt fans of the games are used to the control system, but hey... it really needs a lot of changes.

Good points.

Falling Damage is the more dangerous than combat on Death Marches. Also a tip for early on if you are playing the 2 hardest difficulties. Get the ability early on the regens HP during the daytime. If I get into a tough battle and lose HP, just wait to regain HP so you are consistently burning Food/Drink and can conserve it for when you really need it during a battle.

This was my first point purchase and has resulted in a lot less saving (which I haven't found a single quick-save key).

Er, what? You don't see athletes taking a step or three before they start running. In fact, my neighbours probably think I'm a bit of a twat since I just ran back and forth across the floor just to prove to myself that you can, in fact, go from standing still to sprinting without any walking steps in between. Stopping is a lot harder, particularly with socks on a hardwood floor, but on a better surface providing actual traction that wouldn't be a problem either. There is a difference between heavy and clunky. Dark Souls is heavy. A bit too heavy at some points since the attacks invariably consist of wide, slow swings that wouldn't make sense in real life. But it's never really clunky. The closest you get to clunky is rolling in heavy armour, where it's intended. Other than that the movement and combat is really responsive, unlike this game.

You do not go from standing still to full sprint without any kind of transition, regardless if you're Usain Bolt or not.

Sprinters are not in their top speed out of the gate. They transition over a short period from the crouch and using their legs to propel their body to a more vertical standing position with their legs not "pushing" like they are at the start.

Not to mention they use starting blocks to help them go so fast so quickly, which most people do not use or have the benefit of.

Even if you don't "think" you do you do.

You do not go from standing still to full sprint without any kind of transition, regardless if you're Usain Bolt or not.

Sprinters are not in their top speed out of the gate. They transition over a short period from the crouch and using their legs to propel their body to a more vertical standing position with their legs not "pushing" like they are at the start.

Not to mention they use starting blocks to help them go so fast so quickly, which most people do not use or have the benefit of.

Even if you don't "think" you do you do.

Does Usain Bolt stop and loot barrels and sacks whilst running....often? This is a video game. Regardless of the amount of 'realism' someone wants to spout, the game is supposed to be fun, natural, enjoyable. Slidey animations every time you stop to smell the flowers is straight up horribad.

Funny even other games have had these movement problems too and the real gamers (not the fanbois) didn't like it, brought it up and it got fixed faster than a noonwraith will show up at noon. Why? Cause it's important in a game.

Last edited:
I like the few steps before running. Just do.

I'm wondering if some of you guys are experiencing controller latency. That's what it sounds like, atleast. I'm having zero controller latency, whatsoever, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around some of the issues you're having. Geralt feels fast and responsive, so I'm wondering it's there's a latency issue you're experiencing. Are all of you guys experiencing this on PC or on consoles?

I like the few steps before running. Just do.

I'm wondering if some of you guys are experiencing controller latency. That's what it sounds like, atleast. I'm having zero controller latency, whatsoever, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around some of the issues you're having. Geralt feels fast and responsive, so I'm wondering it's there's a latency issue you're experiencing. Are all of you guys experiencing this on PC or on consoles?

Its definitely not that. I like inertia too, like AC, GTAV, Red Dead... I prefer them being floaty and swimmy and realistic. Geralt moves like hes on ice. He accelerates WAY too fast. If you nudge the analog stick more than a hair, he goes from walking to running in an instant. There's almost no dead zones.

Trying to maintain a walking speed with the controller is silly how precisely small the amount of pressure you need to apply to the stick is. I'd be happy with bigger dead zones.

No, that's not latency. I would say Geralt's walk and run movements remind me alot of Red Dead Redemption, actually. But, none of that is latency for sure.

What I do mean, though, is some people are saying that he's not blocking or dodging when they hit button to do so. When I do the same, he responds. So, that sounds like controller latency. I mean...I hit the buttons and he does them, and there's no delay for me. Other do, and there's a delay. Has to be latency. There's no room for opinion on that, I think. Something's wrong, because I can attest that controls respond on my end.

My biggest problems actually lie in the pre- and post-fight automatisms. I hate Geralt automatically putting away his sword with some distance (especially since you need to put some distance between you and the enemy sometimes if you either have low stamina or if you ride a horse and want to charge in, he always puts it away and you waste time having to get it out again, time that the enemy uses to get close to you or that lets your Quen sign expire or or or) and him having difficulty getting in "fighting mode" fast enough. I also hate the automatic drawing of the correct weapon to fight the enemy, especially since the health bars already show what you should know and since you could also think a little bit for yourself.

As for monsters, I am not far in but playing on "Death March" I got to say it is moderately difficult. Not as difficult as TW2, but that because TW2 was very clunky in some areas. I like the combat and how it flows. Yes, some of the moves are not perfect, reaction times can sometimes betray you, but I'm loving the variation in attack patterns for different monster types, the actual usefulness of the dodge AND the roll which both have their place, the impact the signs have on the combat WITHOUT actually become too powerful (yet). It's really kinda like Dark Souls.

Don't like potions though. There are too many of them if you can refill them all the time and the effects of the potions are WAY too short for ANY fight especially on higher difficulties. Fighting a wolf pack or group of ghouls on Death March takes up several minutes of intense fighting with different drawback- and aggressive strategies, varying and changing and knowing what to do when. If I take a swallow the potion effect (including it's toxicity) is gone so fast it doesn't even really matter in the fight. That is not so bad however, after all vitality is restored quite nicely, where it is really bad is with potions like Tawny Owl where the Vigor/Endurance regeneration effect is gone so quickly all you can POSSIBLY get out of it is maybe 2 additional sign uses in a fight, because the duration is so minor that the effect of endurance filling up faster can be used only a few times more than normally. It doesn't even make a difference.

Loving the rest of the game so far though.

Last edited:
Does Usain Bolt stop and loot barrels and sacks whilst running....often? This is a video game. Regardless of the amount of 'realism' someone wants to spout, the game is supposed to be fun, natural, enjoyable. Slidey animations every time you stop to smell the flowers is straight up horribad.

Funny even other games have had these movement problems too and the real gamers (not the fanbois) didn't like it, brought it up and it got fixed faster than a noonwraith will show up at noon. Why? Cause it's important in a game.

Horribad? Do you even know what I'm talking about?

I'm talking about nothing more then a simple animation for coming to a "sudden" stop when you're in full on sprint.

Plenty of games have this kind of transition animation and I have never in my life heard someone complain about it, rather I have seen people mention it in passing as a nice touch and little detail .

I'm not sure what you're thinking about, I'm talking about just a little "slide" with the feet, like you might see in animation when a character suddenly stops. This can be done in a fraction of a second and would be able to make Geralt more precise like most people want but also still give the sense of "weight" that anyone has when they try to suddenly stop while moving at speed.

IE:

Horribad? Do you even know what I'm talking about?

I'm talking about nothing more then a simple animation for coming to a "sudden" stop when you're in full on sprint.

Plenty of games have this kind of transition animation and I have never in my life heard someone complain about it, rather I have seen people mention it in passing as a nice touch and little detail .

I'm not sure what you're thinking about, I'm talking about just a little "slide" with the feet, like you might see in animation when a character suddenly stops. This can be done in a fraction of a second and would be able to make Geralt more precise like most people want but also still give the sense of "weight" that anyone has when they try to suddenly stop while moving at speed.

Yes other games do this and do it well. Skyrim for example doesn't have the slidey animation every time you want to stop. The character movement controls in this game are some of the worst I've ever played (gaming for 25 years). Sure I've adapted and gotten used to hitting the loot key 10ft sooner than the object, but I shouldn't have to even think for a second of a game's movement/control while playing/doing.

@zeuseason that's true the movement inertia is most of the time really bad for a good control, and since there is also a little delay for geralt to have his "full movement speed" it make the deplacement VERY annoying and totaly not accurate.
Even when you just want make him to rotate a bit for looting ... each time i have to "adjust" his position to loot a plant.. damn its so irritating.

Sure thing its more or less how a real human would move.. but in a game it feel SO wrong. Like in GTA 5 the character have this kind of "inertia" and its quite often not very handy to have a very accurate movement ( when you dont aim to have a more classic "tps" movement )
But well, in GTA5 its still perfectly playable... In this game... well..

All that clearly need a fix...

I rarely come to the forums. But I had to come here just to make a post about the controls. The first two games didn't have good controls but this is the first time they have been bad enough to make me not play. I can only play for a little while before getting so frustrated with Geralt flopping around the game world like a broken marionette that I have to stop and go do something else.

Combat is no better, the animations look great but by the time a fast attack is completed the target has often already hit me or taken several steps out of my range. The auto-targeting system often leaves me with a half dozen nearly dead enemies and unable to hit the one I want to.

I imagine that CDProjekt won't fix the controls (not completely). So I'm waiting for a mod to fix them before I try to play TW3 again. :( Which makes me very very sad because I am a pretty serious fan and have played/purchased all of the Witcher games and read all the books.

Last edited:
I'am going to add something about that.. I just made another little try ...
So instead of going for a "brainless" fight against drowner (i'am still in the first "tutorial" area ) meaning dodge / magic + hit or spam fast attack till death + somes dodge to avoid beeing hit.

I wanted to give a try with the counterattack, which is a very fun tactic, and i enjoy thoses in games having that.. But in TW3..... result :

1- animation too slow even if i perfectly press the key in time : got hit
2- Look like i was a bit too early it just "blocked" and geralt got "stunned"
3- randomly succeed to counterattack one or two time over... 20+ try ( Thanks quick save )
4- look like he made the "counterattack" animation but with the drowner movement.. it failed to damage him.. ( lol )

Oh and i was about to forget the worst : AARD was ready to use.. A drowner rush me, i press the "use sign key" the aard is used, BUT he had time to hit me despide the aard usage BEFORE he started any attack animation ( lol ! ) and THEN he got knocked down... Game of the century...

The "lock target" is also a very dumb thing, because there is nothing to switch target you have to "unlock" and "relock" another target... Seriously ? No counting that the camera is also locked, so let me be clear, you have ZERO visibility of what going on around you....
Do you even test your game !? how can it be possible to keep a such terribad setting. TW3 have a too fast paced fight to be something valid like it could (more or less ) be in a Soul game.... ( And so far when you know play a soul game, except sometime for boss you never use the "lock target" )
Let me say that during a fight where 2 drowner rush you, its the dumbest gameplay setting ever.
So i just stick with the "game target for you" setting which is even more bad. Depending of the enemy movement you dont necessary can make that geralt attack who you want/need to attack....
Result you got hit because of the lack of decent target control... ( love thoses gamepad games configuration... )

Ultimate conclusion... You can only do brainless attack spam / spam dodge - attack / magic + attack.
And you cant really correctly deal with multiple enemy; Very sad cose with a better gameplay configuration it would be 1000% possible ( and truly enjoyable ) considering the dodge - roll ability.

Also, sure i'am clearly not the best player in the world, but i'am a gamer since more than 10years and i have experienced quite a lot action / fighting games... So i a bit able to recognize when i'am not just bad at the game but he have somes serious gameplay issues.

I spend somes time too, to post my feeling about that because i would love to enjoy that game, but atm, i'am pretty more frustrated than anything else.. So unless there is some serious fix / rework, guess i'am done with yours games.

thanks.

Last edited:
I also made a thread about this very thing. The animation's are way too long, which leads to turning while running feel very sluggish. It didn't bother me at all until I decided to do a playthrough of TW2 for the save file. Switching back to TW3, it was the first thing I noticed. Now it drives me crazy.

Top Bottom