Retooling Skills, Attributes and Related Systems.

+
So, I want to better experience this and shelved the game waiting for patches to improve Cyberpunk. I trust CDPR to make good on their promise to fix this game. So to pass the time I picked up Witcher 3 which after playing several hours feels like it exists in a place Cyberpunk needs to reach. I also have noticed Witcher 3 is a place that a lot of concepts began that were ultimately implemented in Cyberpunk. A small example of something brought to cyberpunk from Witcher 3 is how the mini-map shows X's for enemies that have been defeated and have loot. Another example and the main topic of this post is the Attribute and Skill system from Witcher 3 vs Cyberpunk.

Quite honestly, I don't like how Attributes are locked in and cannot be reset but skills are not. if you want to switch your build and play style you have to either start over or hope your new playstyle is supported with your current Attribute choices... However, in Witcher, you have a different approach, which I feel is a lot better and possibly can be reimplemented here without causing too much of a mess. From my basic understanding, you don't spend Attribute points, you buy skills from the tree and that raises your attribute level, which if you buy enough lets you progress deeper in the tree. The larger problem which I hope CDPR is up to is making sure the skill trees support this approach it might mean changing trees and individual skills. This approach might also require, re-tuning the skill checks in dialogue and other skill checks in the CP world like doors and objects like cameras.

The current Cyberpunk model feels like you are trying to pass the Panama canal. You first have to level up, then spend the Attribute point, then level associated skill to spend the point on the tree, in essence, 2 Asynchronous grinds.

There is also yet another thing to consider if going this route. How to award skill points? on level up like Witcher 3, or leave it un-tethered from your level like it currently is?
I don't know if someone else said this before, but "If you don't empower your gamers, they will find a way to empower themselves" which is why plenty of people exploit so they can power level individual skills. I understand, that if they can potentially over-level their skills and ruin the experience for themselves which is probably why the current implementation exists, but it soo clunky that it's really a disservice.

One, last thing. If you were to change the Attribute system to a Witcher 3 style, Tabula Erasa chips would effectively reset both Attributes and Skills, just pointing it out if someone did not already catch on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom