Reveal needs to get rid of the random

+
^This
Reveal needs to be more related to deck manipulation (care of top/bottom of deck), and less randomness
It has the potential to become one of the most interesting mechnic, but as for now too many reveals cards have the "random" tag attached to them.

Although we already have, to some extend, the ability to manipulate your top card of the deck and to view the top 3 cards of your opponent, it's not enough. No deck should rely on less than 4 to 5 core cards (<- this should always be true since the new design direction is you are not going to draw all your cards, so you need to have enough core cards that you can still win with a bit of bad draw)

Change suggestion:
1.The "dueling" (reveal a card from both side) reveal needs to be either "reveal the top card of both deck" or "reveal the highest str card of both card", this way it's no longer random and there is a way to build around it, for example, use fisher king or that NG agent to move a card to the top, or carry a high str card in your deck an keep it in deck

2.The current random reveals, like morvan, can be revealing either top or bottom of the deck, and add "bottom deck synergy" cards to the game. For example, an order/deploy card move the last revealed card to the bottom /top of its deck, etc. This minimize the randomness of reveal and adds the deck manipulation flavor

3.If there are other random reveal cards that should not fall into the last two category, it should have a choice, revealing 1 of 2 cards randomly selected, this way to make it more reliable.

Now I am not saying reveal is over/under-power right now, I am saying most of reveal cards relies heavily on praying to RNGesus and this is BAD (uncontrollable RNG is the evil). And for some other, the "reveal" part of the ability can be switch to anything, for example, Morvan can change his ability to "say a random taunt and boost a unit by 2" and doesn't change how ppl use him --- a 3 charge 2 point boost to protect engine.

My vision for the reveal:
Generally has low points / growth mechnic (by this I mean abilites like harmony etc, the potential to get more str in long turn/combo), but can manipulate the decks that you can draw good situational cards to use, while letting your opponent draw bad cards of their deck, if your opponent has the kind of "Good cards + some trash brick cards" deck, they will be punished severly.

Right now the only way to make reveal working is to thin and reduce the number of units in your deck to get good consistency, I often end up with Golem or Tibor as the only units in my deck in R3.

Something like "reveal the highest Unit" would not work because of Tibor, which is the highest unit in the whole game.

However playing around the top card might work...

Morvan can change his ability to "say a random taunt and boost a unit by 2" and doesn't change how ppl use him --- a 3 charge 2 point boost to protect engine.

Nope ! Sometimes it gives very interesting information about opponent's hand (missing the card you just revealed) and I use it to increase Sweers damages

Last edited:
I don't agree with randomness being a bad thing, but I do agree that reveal in it's current state is really bad for Nilfgaard and pretty useless. Besides that, the randomness engine in Gwent does not work, it is not random, but predictable.
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...well-look-at-what-random-unit-means.10989859/

I do like your suggestions though, for the simple reason it would make reveal far more useful in telling you something about the opponents deck and making some calculated "risks".

I think reveal would be far more useful for Nilfgaard if you can by choice/card reveal:
Top of deck card, lowest card (of opponent or both decks), and highest card (of opponent or both decks). Or even things like highest provision card or say 2x highest cards or highest provision cards. Something that would REVEAL meaningful information to you. As goes for calculated risks, take a card like the "reveal and if" cards, like if your card is higher, do X, then a kind of choice you can calculate based on would make more sense.

Let's say you have Tibor Eggerbracht in your deck, then you can reveal a card and do x additional damage if your highest card is higher than the opponents highest card, or if your highest provision card is more provision than the opponent. This same mechanism can apply to the top card (random) or the lowest unit as well. Calculated reveal risks.

I like randomness, but I don't like the reveal function of Nilfgaard at the moment, I think it's a pretty bad archtype and pretty underwhelming and provides little in way of usefulness. I don't think they need to remove the random reveal either, just add more purposeful reveal models in addition. I think the random reveal supplements those other types of reveal, if CDPR decide to make such reveal models. If you only have reveal factor X and Y, then you can never reveal card Z, but with random you can.
Post automatically merged:

Something like "reveal the highest Unit" would not work because of Tibor, which is the highest unit in the whole game.

Well, you could still have a reveal with no action, just revealing the highest units in both decks. That would be a bit unfair actually, since you also then reveal Tibor to the opponent. So reveal highest unit and action X would not really be problematic. Most of the time you want to play Tibor in round 1 or 2 to sabotage draw a card from the opponent anyways. So considering the timing etc, you could choose to save Tibor until the end, but this would be a strategic consideration and mute the point that he is the highest unit in the game. If you still have him in the deck in round 3 you don't get to play the highest unit in the game..

Is Tibor in the hand or in the deck anyways? That's also a consideration. Personally I don't discard Tibor ever if I draw him, and if he is on hand, he is no longer the highest unit in the decks.

Last edited:
The problem isn't even randomness at this point, it's the role of reveal in the current game. The main reason reveal exists as an archetype is because it existed in beta, but that was a very different game with a core difference in terms of the reveal mechanic. Right now reveal mainly provides flavor and a bridge to the old gwent rather than meaningful gameplay.

Also revealing your own cards was implemented out of necessity, it was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist right now. The only reason i see for revealing your own cards is as a drawback to overstated minions, basically like how the original Nilfgaardian Knight worked.

rrc

Forum veteran
NG is getting a rework in (damn it, it is already the month end) two days. I am not sure if Reveal will be changed (IIRC, Burza mentioned that Reveal will stay as is). Lets see whats comes to NG.

Top Bottom