Revenge in this game is shit [Spoilers]

+
This will probably be covered in the DLC but I think that the Peralzes mission just "stops" and they needed to follow that up more.

1. You getting hired to kill everyone at SSL.

2. Something bug fuck crazy like Mr. Peralzes murdering his wife [if you tell him] or his wife killing him [if you side with her]

It doesn't feel very definitive as is.

This is one complaint I don't get. With the exception of Dexter, you have the option to enact revenge, or help someone else pursue revenge at almost every stage of the game.

Want payback for Jackie? Well then don't work with Hanako and instead destroy Mikoshi. Doing so will rip the heart out of Arasaka and pay them back for Jackie's death.
Want payback for Evelyn? Side with Netwatch (or don't) and after you are done contacting Alt, murder the shit out of Every one of the VDBs. Kill Woodman, Wipe out the Deathhead BD studio.
Want payback for Panam? Agree to help her murder Nash and the other Reavers.
Want payback for Johnny? You can kill Grayson and Adam Smasher. You can even give Adam Smasher Johnny's regards as you finish him.
Want payback for Meredith Stout setting you up? Hack the encryption on the datashard, remove the virus, and hang her out to dry.
Want payback on those Delamain subAI routines that mess up your car and try to kill you? Choose to wipe them out and reset Delamain.

Last edited:
I do agree that Jackie not getting killed specifically by Adam Smasher was a missed opportunity. It would have provided more of a personal stake for V to want to kill him, and really solidify to the early level player that Smasher is not someone to mess around with. When doing the boss fight it also would have provided Smasher with better dialog opportunities, taunting V about Jackie during the fight.

Eh, Evelyn was part of the team and murdered by the Voodoo Boys and the Tyger Claws.

I wish we'd gotten to know her more, though.

This game really needed to let you get more revenge. We needed a sidequest to avenge T-Bug for instance.
Post automatically merged:

I feel your argument boils down to, "Isn't it great the game denies you the chance to do something you'd really enjoy by killing Dex?"

And my asnwer is, "No, not at all."

As for Jackie, that is also another bit of bad storytelling as you can't get revenge on him getting killed by a drone.
From my point of view, Evelyn set me up. She was only a proxy for the voodoo boys though. she did not hesitate to try to undercut Mr pizza.

Look Evelyn was not a great person but she did not deserve to be hacked for a job she was payed for. The voodoo boys are highly shitty as well. And the thing that british bastard did to her was unspeakable. Woodman came off too good with his death.

Killing the voodoo boys for Evelyn felt good but it was not really revenge. It was more like a thing the punisher would do.

From my point of view, Evelyn set me up. She was only a proxy for the voodoo boys though. she did not hesitate to try to undercut Mr pizza.

Look Evelyn was not a great person but she did not deserve to be hacked for a job she was payed for. The voodoo boys are highly shitty as well. And the thing that british bastard did to her was unspeakable. Woodman came off too good with his death.

Killing the voodoo boys for Evelyn felt good but it was not really revenge. It was more like a thing the punisher would do.
I don't think Evelyn set us up at all. The mission went south because of Dex's blunder and poor planning.

One thing that's buzzing in the back of my head...Why would Evelyn approach us about cutting Dex out of the deal if she was planning on betraying us? That would be a useless gesture, unless I'm missing something?

I don't think Evelyn set us up at all. The mission went south because of Dex's blunder and poor planning.

One thing that's buzzing in the back of my head...Why would Evelyn approach us about cutting Dex out of the deal if she was planning on betraying us? That would be a useless gesture, unless I'm missing something?
She waited for dex to plan it, then tried to cut him out but still did not call the gig off when it was clear that he is incompetent.

And it was clear he was incompetent, when they sent in V to talk to her.

She waited for dex to plan it, then tried to cut him out but still did not call the gig off when it was clear that he is incompetent.

And it was clear he was incompetent, when they sent in V to talk to her.
I disagree. Dex was not shown as incompetent, and certainly not just for letting Evelyn talk to V. That only made sense to have them talk with all the BD stuff enough. It provided the groundwork for the plan to work.

The only thing that went wrong was Saburo showing up and getting killed, which no Fixer would have known was going to happen. Everything was going fine up to that point.

I disagree. Dex was not shown as incompetent, and certainly not just for letting Evelyn talk to V. That only made sense to have them talk with all the BD stuff enough. It provided the groundwork for the plan to work.

The only thing that went wrong was Saburo showing up and getting killed, which no Fixer would have known was going to happen. Everything was going fine up to that point.
Well.
V was certainly only halfway up to the task. Jacky is a great guy but he has problems controlling his temperament.

If I was Evelyn, I would have asked dex if his crew is really up to the task.

Well.
V was certainly only halfway up to the task. Jacky is a great guy but he has problems controlling his temperament.

If I was Evelyn, I would have asked dex if his crew is really up to the task.

V presented themselves as competent and up to the task, this was only strengthened by being able to get the info they needed out of the BD and retrieving the flathead. I don't recall Evelyn meeting anyone else from the team. By proxy you could say she met T-Bug? But that again would only strengthen your competence since V vouches for her and the both of you get what you need from the BD.

If the game taught me anything it's even though it says there down and defeated always unload a extra mag into there head.

I defeated all VDB in a earlier playthrough but a small time later i received a message from Placide to watch my back, so either it bugged or some cyberphyco/oda shit happens to which my reply is to unload full mags into prone npc after i defeat them.

But yeah revenge is poop

V presented themselves as competent and up to the task, this was only strengthened by being able to get the info they needed out of the BD and retrieving the flathead. I don't recall Evelyn meeting anyone else from the team. By proxy you could say she met T-Bug? But that again would only strengthen your competence since V vouches for her and the both of you get what you need from the BD.
No. Evelyn is a proxy for the voodoo boys who hired her to get the chip. Evelyn being yorinobus little "bumsmaus" is a perfect opportunity.

I am a bit astonished though. Evelyn is just a joytoy and yorinobu is no2 in the Arasaka family.

As for the voodoo boys, it's a stretch to be honest.
They did not really kill Evelyn. They hired her for a certain purpose. The voodoo boys are shitty persons but they did not kill Evelyn. They did not pay woodman to make her disappear.

What does Evelyn have to do with any of it? Placide played V, first by lying about a meeting with Brigitte when he knew full well her meatbody was dieing because Netwatch had her trapped in cyberspace. Second, he infected V with a "brain bomb" intended to kill V along with the Netwatch agent.

Fuck Evelyn, it's personal.

your game must then glitched out, because i killed everybody in Clouds first time i went there, including Woodman, and he was dead when i came second time to resolve things...

Huh, guess so. Yeah, I managed to talk him up on my StreetKid playthrough too.

No. Evelyn is a proxy for the voodoo boys who hired her to get the chip. Evelyn being yorinobus little "bumsmaus" is a perfect opportunity.

I am a bit astonished though. Evelyn is just a joytoy and yorinobu is no2 in the Arasaka family.
I do not understand why you're saying no to me.

Some people want to think she's some Chaotic Evil type and that breaking a deal is an unimaginable sin.

When, more likely, it's that she just wants a larger cut and figures Dex is useless.

Note that Dex cuts you out of 70% of the take himself.
Post automatically merged:

I do not understand why you're saying no to me.

I think he's saying Evelyn isn't classy enough for a rich guy to fuck. Which is 10 kinds of weird and wrong.

Actually Evelyn was hired by the Voodoo boys for the brain dance, but she decided to steal the relic for herself, to sell to netwatch. Read Bryce Mosley's computer for the proof.
Also Evelyn was considered the top joytoy in Clouds, which is run by the Tyger Claws, which has ties to Arasaka. So Evelyn is the perfect joytoy for Yorinobu.

I looked at some encrypted and then got shorted on the recovery fee so I killed the client after she threatened me with her gun

I would like to mention that our Revenge / Justice for Evelyn was not as complete (hell, it was hardly there) as I would have liked. The only character we had real revenge on was the rapist, and the most we could do was beat them to death. Not even close to satisfying. The VooDoo boys you couldn't even tell why you were killing them, regardless of Brigitte calling Evelyn, "Ah, the whore." And let's not forget Wakako, the fixer that sold Evelyn like a piece of meat. Forrestb/ Woodman, Fingers, Wakako, and the Voodoo Boys: they all needed to die and know why it was happening as well. Some deserved worse, such as seeing everything they had ripped away from them right before you tore them in half with mantis blades.

Top Bottom