Review The Witcher 2 - last day to apply

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrowakus said:
Lasses and lads... Isn't it kind of strange that a reviewer should convince the developer/publisher that he is worthy of reviewing their game? Shouldn't there be some conflict of interests?

And judging from the posts in this thread where people try to convince CDP basing their argumentation on how awesome TW2 was, and how they enjoyed it, can we expect proper, honest reviews instead of people just being hyped up?

"I bet TW2 on Xbox is going to suck! It's portraid as a horrible RPG game with little choices and consequences and uses what seems to be a gruesome gameplay mechanic, that is only there for show!"

May I review your game, please?

:p

Aver

Forum veteran
Mrowakus said:
Lasses and lads... Isn't it kind of strange that a reviewer should convince the developer/publisher that he is worthy of reviewing their game? Shouldn't there be some conflict of interests?

It's for amateur reviewers. Professional reviewers doesn't have to do this. There are 'only' 1000 copies. Of course they have to distribute them somehow, because most of applications will be from gamers that just want game for free. This way CDPR will be sure that persons that actually do reviews on YT/blogs/their sites will get game first. What would you do? Copies for quickest? :rolleyes:

Chewin3 said:
"I bet TW2 on Xbox is going to suck! It's portraid as a horrible RPG game with little choices and consequences and uses what seems to be a gruesome gameplay mechanic, that is only there for show!"

May I review your game, please?

:p

Haha. But we both know that this was not my point. You just reverted it and showed the other extreme.

I ask: is a positive attitude towards a game a prerequisite for applying to this contest? If so, that makes those pieces of writing worthless as reviews as we pretty much know from the outset they'd be biased. They would make decent adverts, however.

Naturally, CDPRed may judge something else here... but we don't know what.

Aver said:
It's for amateur reviewers. Professional reviewers doesn't have to do this. There are 'only' 1000 copies. Of course they have to distribute them somehow, because most of applications will be from gamers that just want game for free. This way CDPR will be sure that persons that actually do reviews on YT/blogs/their sites will get game first. What would you do? Copies for quickest? :rolleyes:

Yes, you are right. If my fears are correct it's about marketing and having the greatest number of positive reviews on YT/blogs/sites.

You know guys... Picking people who you are sure will be positive about your game for writing a review... That would be pretty dishonest. :/

I hope my fears will be unfounded.

Forum veteran
Mrowakus said:
I ask: is a positive attitude towards a game a prerequisite for applying to this contest? If so, that makes those pieces of writing worthless as reviews as we pretty much know from the outset they'd be biased.
Well, they did ask for a sample of some other review stuff. One would think that would be unnecessary if the goal was to set loose a thousand raving fans who can't find a single fault within the game. It's hard to say anything for sure, but they'll probably go with people who have shown a consistent enough level of fairness to actually be able to judge the game for what it is rather than what the PC version and first game have been.

EDIT: And we all know a bad review when we see it. Every game has flaws, so anything that can't find a single fault can't be taken seriously. Enough people know that to where only soliciting glowing reviews would actually work against them.

227 said:
Well, they did ask for a sample of some other review stuff. One would think that would be unnecessary if the goal was to set loose a thousand raving fans who can't find a single fault within the game. It's hard to say anything for sure, but they'll probably go with people who have shown a consistent enough level of fairness to actually be able to judge the game for what it is rather than what the PC version and first game have been.

EDIT: And we all know a bad review when we see it. Every game has flaws, so anything that can't find a single fault can't be taken seriously. Enough people know that to where only soliciting glowing reviews would actually work against them.

I hope you are right.

Mrowakus said:
Yes, you are right. If my fears are correct it's about marketing and having the greatest number of positive reviews on YT/blogs/sites.

You know guys... That would be pretty dishonest. :/

I hope my fears will be unfounded.

What would be dishonest???

CDPR sends early review copies to "professional" review sites. They also decide to give some of those copies to gamers themselves, as this is also an important marketing channel these days. Sometimes even more important than "professional" reviewers. Both CDPR games have higher user scores than review scores on Metacritic. Do you really expect a company to want as many negative reviews of their product as possible? Of course they want them positive, just as other companies in this business.

You're worried about honesty of the gamers in reviewing the game? What about honesty of the review sites lately? In fact I think this move shows how confident CDPR is about their game. And just as you fear gamers giving better reviews (because they received a free copy for example) I can see some people bashing this game for no reason and giving it negative reviews just for LoLz (it's internet, you remember?).

As they say, the Sword of Destiny has two edges...

gregski said:
What would be dishonest???

CDPR sends early review copies to "professional" review sites. They also decide to give some of those copies to gamers themselves, as this is also an important marketing channel these days.

That's right - it's marketing.

Sometimes even more important than "professional" reviewers. Both CDPR games have higher user scores than review scores on Metacritic. Do you really expect a company to want as many negative reviews of their product as possible? Of course they want them positive, just as other companies in this business.

But that goes directly against ethos of journalism - to provide fair and truthful information without bias. Essentailly it's just making the same what has been made with "professional" reviewers we disdain so much with bloggers/youtubers. And we can agree - it's a bad thing.

You're worried about honesty of the gamers in reviewing the game? What about honesty of the review sites lately?

Don't redirect. I wasn't saying anything about them.

In fact I think this move shows how confident CDPR is about their game. And just as you fear gamers giving better reviews (because they received a free copy for example)

You know, it's hard to say osmething negative about a game you received for free... especially if you are a lone gamer, and not a large team. And people have little integrity and are easily swayed by hype which begets bias - this time in favour of developer/publisher (it's Internet, you remember?)

As they say, the Sword of Destiny has two edges...

Indeed.

Mrowakus said:
You know, it's hard to say osmething negative about a game you received for free... especially if you are a lone gamer, and not a large team. And people have little integrity and are easily swayed by hype which begets bias - this time in favour of developer/publisher (it's Internet, you remember?)

How about you quote my full sentence:

And just as you fear gamers giving better reviews (because they received a free copy for example) I can see some people bashing this game for no reason and giving it negative reviews just for LoLz (it's internet, you remember?).

Mrowakus said:
And people have little integrity and are easily swayed by hype which begets bias - this time in favour of developer/publisher (it's Internet, you remember?)

Yeah, the same applies to "professional" reviewers. So what's the difference if there are 1000 more biased reviews on the web?

Ideal candidates aren't those who hype the game most of all but those who accomplish the requirements of the application form. That's why CDPR ask for references of other reviews or similar articles. I don't believe the REDs will pick up those reviewers who just praise the games they review (because they want to blandish the companies).

I'm sure they want objective and unbiased reviewers. If they choose "hype reviewers" the whole contest / marketing activity goes down like a lead balloon when the game is out and all (the majority) players tell us the games is bad, has lots of glitches, etc. ... all things the "hype reviewers" praised to the skies.

The (1000) reviews haven't to be professional but an unbiased review from a community member

Like everyone is saying, just as long as the people picked to review the game be truthful and fair and don't make it look like it's 100% perfection for everybody that will play then it should go ok. Of course the best way to judge is to play it yourself, but it's always good to have a 2nd opinion

gregski said:
How about you quote my full sentence:

Yeah, the same applies to "professional" reviewers. So what's the difference if there are 1000 more biased reviews on the web?

That those 1000 reviews are worthless hogwash and that you'd be promoting it. In other words instead of averting :decline: you'd be taking full advantage of it and be pretty damn dishonest about it. Because "reviews" are not supposed to be adverts. In fact they are the very reverse of advertisements. And I don't care about "professional" reviews, but fighting corruption with corruption always takes it toll on everyone - the developer, the fanbase and the market.

However, after the post from Petra_Sillie I think it's pretty pointless to discuss it further... Though the number still puzzles me - 1000 games? It still smells suspicious - like viral marketing. But it's just my opinion man. :cool:

Mrowakus said:
That those 1000 reviews are worthless hogwash and that you'd be promoting it. In other words instead of averting :decline: you'd be taking full advantage of it and be pretty damn dishonest about it. Because "reviews" are not supposed to be adverts. In fact they are the very reverse of advertisements. And I don't care about "professional" reviews, but fighting corruption with corruption always takes it toll on everyone - the developer, the fanbase and the market.

However, after the post from Petra_Sillie I think it's pretty pointless to discuss it further... Though the number still puzzles me - 1000 games? It still smells suspicious - like viral marketing. But it's just my opinion man. :cool:

Yes, it may be viral marketing, but it's still honest, for the simple reason that everyone has been told up-front that CDPR gave free games to these reviewers. That's the difference between what's happening here and a so-called professional review.

I really hope I get this, haven't had chance to post on here! Really looking forward to playing Xbox 360 version since like many other the PC version is incredible, and I would love to see what it is like on console.

@Mrowakus

I was thinking: why don't you apply this contest as well? I mean, probably you COULD offer a different point of view, something the Devs can think about. And in the case you won't buy any Xbox 360 version, you could send your review "outside" the contest to one of the Dev and see what they have to say. :)

6 min should not count I am so excited about this game I can't wait for it. I want to review it for sure I will be honest and forthright about the results. I hope I get my shot!!

Hey guys, first time poster, long time follower here!

Have anyone received a reply yet? It said in the email I got that I should have heard from cdprojekt yesterday (Tuesday), but alas, my inbox is empty :( Obviously, if they intend to review each application and write a written personal response to everyone that replied I can understand that things might be going a bit slow, I fully understand and respect that, I'm just curious if anyone has actually heard anything yet :)

Forum veteran
rufnux said:
Have anyone received a reply yet? It said in the email I got that I should have heard from cdprojekt yesterday (Tuesday), but alas, my inbox is empty :( Obviously, if they intend to review each application and write a written personal response to everyone that replied I can understand that things might be going a bit slow, I fully understand and respect that, I'm just curious if anyone has actually heard anything yet :)
The email says Tuesday, but the OP for this thread says Wednesday. Seems like they surreptitiously gave themselves an extra day. Probably got more responses than expected :)

227 said:
The email says Tuesday, but the OP for this thread says Wednesday. Seems like they surreptitiously gave themselves an extra day. Probably got more responses than expected :)

Yeah, thought so :)

And... today is day 1 of the EE download for the PC gamers (whereas I sit in the office It might happen there are unexpected issues which take time to solve. I keep my finges crossed that there won't be any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom