Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+
14. Also the tree’s rather far away imo.

As I see it Geralt is talking to himself when leaving ......I am thinking of "......thanks Dijkstra, that was coin well spent"
But I am not sure if that's what you mean.

When he says "nice talking to you" afterwards his lips move but he has left the table already which is why it looks like he talks into the void.

Last edited:
What troubled me is how he talks in the void when leaving Dijkstra, it could have been shown as thoughts but he actually talks after having left the table, lol.

Yes, he does that. I just don't see what's wrong with it, people can leave a table while finishing a conversation. Perhaps the VA needs to raise his voice a bit as the distance between Dijsktra and Geralt increases, to convey that better, but other than that it's fine.

Yes, he does that. I just don't see what's wrong with it, people can leave a table while finishing a conversation. Perhaps the VA needs to raise his voice a bit as the distance between Dijsktra and Geralt increases, to convey that better, but other than that it's fine.

IMO, just how he walks towards the camera… it wasn’t natural.

14. Also the tree’s rather far away imo.

When he says "nice talking to you" afterwards his lips move but he has left the table already which is why it looks like he talks into the void.

I see what you mean after rewatching it a few times. For me it is not a biggy and not something I will notice unless it happens often throughout the game.

My problem with it is that it goes against Geralt's personality. He is described as a collective and quiet person that doesn't talk unless it is necessary, and he is tight lipped and keeps his motivations hidden.
I think he should have just said "it was time I was on my way". "Thank you Dijxtra", "nice talking to you", and "it was coin well spent" were a little over doing it for Geralt. He wouldn't thank Dijxtra because they had a deal, and it was Griffin head for info. Djextra didn't do Geralt a favor by giving him the info for free, so Geralt shouldn't thank him. And "nice talking to you", and "it was coin well-spent" are really unnecessary and make the conversation seem too drawn out.

I think it was more of an evasion of Dijkstra's question about Ciri and a sarcastic 'thank you, coin well spent' more than Geralt actually being grateful, he seemed more annoyed than anything, doing Dijkstra's task only to find out that he has to go all the way to Velen - that sort of veiled 'thanks but not really, stfu, I'm out,' cynical kind of behaviour is what I'd expect from Geralt. After all, unless something's changed, Geralt and Dijkstra aren't exactly chummy.

Last edited:
As I see it Geralts reaction to Dijkstra is only natural.

When told Ciri is in Velen his mind and focus is totally gone from Dijkstra. He got the information he wanted and needed and now his is solely focused on how to get till Velen and find Ciri. As he gets up and walks away he is not really talking to Dijkstra but more to himself - "Thx Dijkstra. That was coin well spent" is more a mumble to himself and his own thoughts than as a reply to Dijkstras question.

One can even see his lost interest in Dijkstra when Geralt looks away and says "Dammit she is in Velen" and his mind starts wondering what is she doing there, how do I get there fast.......

For me it is brilliant and immersive storytelling that drags us the players into Geralts mindset of getting as fast as possible to find Ciriin Velen, He NEEDs to get there and I as a player feel the need to go there now.

Last edited:
Geralt cut the conversation short after Dijkstra showed interest in the information he procured. It was Geralts polite way to say, that Dijkstra should not investigate any further in that direction and leave this matter entirely in Geralts hands.

As I see it Geralts reaction to Dijkstra is only natural.

When told Yennefer is in Velen his mind and focus is totally gone from Dijkstra. He got the information he wanted and needed and now his is solely focused on how to get till Velen and find Yennefer. As he gets up and walks away he is not really talking to Dijkstra but more to himself - "Thx Dijkstra. That was coin well spent" is more a mumble to himself and his own thoughts than as a reply to Dijkstras question.

One can even see his lost interest in Dijkstra when Geralt looks away and says "Dammit she is in Velen" and his mind starts wondering what is she doing there, how do I get there fast.......

For me it is brilliant and immersive storytelling that drags us the players into Geralts mindset of getting as fast as possible to find Yennefer in Velen, He NEEDs to get there and I as a player feel the need to go there now.

He's actually looking for Ciri, not Yennefer.

This demo is so awesome!!!
Anyways... I just noticed that Geralts crossbow looks different while he is on horseback.
I think this is called clipping?
I wonder if devs can fix this to look like it does when Geralt is on foot, before the game comes out?

This demo is so awesome!!!
Anyways... I just noticed that Geralts crossbow looks different while he is on horseback.
I think this is called clipping?
I wonder if devs can fix this to look like it does when Geralt is on foot, before the game comes out?

Hair clipping in the armor annoys me far more...

Hair clipping in the armor annoys me far more...
Yeah, I don't like to see that stuff either.
I will change Geralts hairstyle to the shaved sides and a ponytail as soon as I can.
We should not notice it as bad with that hairstyle, anyways I try to look past that stuff the best I can lol..
I can't wait to play an open world rpg like this without: Screen-Tearing/Pop Ins/Pop Ups/Clipping/Blurry Textures & Loading Screens.
I believe CDPR are doing their best to cover/find solutions for all of these things, It still blows my mind to think that this game we have zero loading screens.
I know fast travel or travel from one island to the next will have loading screens, but that is normal.
I bet CDPR Team are playing the hell out of this game right now, I can feel it ;)

Last edited:
Clipping and pop-ins are here to stay, gents. I suspect it'll be a long time until we see them gone from videogames.

Clipping and pop-ins are here to stay, gents. I suspect it'll be a long time until we see them gone from videogames.
Yeah... But good lord this is CDPR Team we are talking about, they are crazy smart gamer/devs who want the same.
They are working their ass off to solve these kinds of things, their new streaming system sounds amazing and I can't flapping wait to see this stuff in action;)

Yeah... But good lord this is CDPR Team we are talking about, they are crazy smart gamer/devs who want the same.
They are working their ass off to solve these kinds of things, their new streaming system sounds amazing and I can't flapping wait to see this stuff in action;)

Well of course, everyone wants pop-ins and clippings of objects gone. Just saying people shouldn't have wild expectations, we're just not there yet in terms of tech/hardware.

Can you give an (in-depth) explanation / link why this isn't going to happen any time soon?

A simplified reason is because the hundreds of calculations required to prevent every moving object from passing through each other is processor intensive. It can be done but it just depends on if the developers are willing to spend enough time to work on the issue and also if the game engine can support it while still running properly and being optimized.

The best example I've seen to date of a game that has very little clipping issues and no pop-ins whatsoever is Sui Generis. Everything is physics driven and it uses accurate collisions for everything so clipping is greatly minimized. Since the game is still in a pre-alpha state I would not be surprised if all clipping issues were completely fixed before release.

Last edited:
Well of course, everyone wants pop-ins and clippings of objects gone. Just saying people shouldn't have wild expectations, we're just not there yet in terms of tech/hardware.
TW3 game is already on the cusp of bringing forth some wild expectations to all of us crazy gamers real soon like.
Someone has to do it, and who is to say that CDPR Team can't be the first to pull this stuff off right;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom