Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+

witches are really disgusting never felt something like it in game

I think there should be more soldiers in Novigrad and some fear because of Nilfgard invasion.

Try being mutated ? And while a air tank provides some buoyancy it still effects movement.

Seriously, I'd rather have the options opened up by a swimming mechanic.

By the way, what's the story with the witches? Are they mutated by magic, or their depicting on the tapestry is not how they originally looked like?

Try being mutated ? And while a air tank provides some buoyancy it still effects movement.

Seriously, I'd rather have the options opened up by a swimming mechanic.

Sure, I'm not against swimming in the game, but animation could be adjusted for the armor (making it slow) or at least require some preparation. It would improve immersion.

Last edited:
By the way, what's the story with the witches? Are they mutated by magic, or their depicting on the tapestry is not how they originally looked like?

Heres the place we've been discussing the Ladies.

edit: @Gilrond; I felt it was quite slow, and perhaps heavier armour will slow it more or make it impossible / drain breath quicker. I've only had the chance to watch it once, and it's only one situation anyway. But I really welcome this addition to the mechanics (when most devs remove functionality).

Last edited:
Still, he is not a propelled submarine to merrily swim in such gear :) I'd say diving should not be a normal thing, so preparing for it in some special way can be naturally put in the game, not unlike Geralt prepares for fights with drinking potions.
Understood, but Witcher is the mutant, not human, so the weight such as his gears were not his problem anymore, so he could move and swim like a fish:lol:, but, it will be more reality if after diving, he can shake his body to wipe out water on his armor:laughing:
P.s: Sorry for my bad English if any.:whistle:

Last edited:
for me the whole was really impressive.
My issue is more with how limited the gameplay footage was and how there was very little in the way of exploration as "we" the players might be likely to do.
I would rather have seen 15 mins of randomly wandering through the town or the swamps than a very direct dash towards completing the stages of the quest!
for exemplar: boast about how vast the world is and how everything you see can be explored; and then fast travel?
for me it would have been great to see a little "proof" of that boast! something like:
"see that tower over there?" or "see that windmill?" lets go a take a closer look....then fast travel to the mission.
Few framerate issues in places for sure..but then its to be expected on the demo system
other than that its mouth wateringly impressive so far!

Still, he is not a propelled submarine to merrily swim in such gear :) I'd say diving should not be a normal thing, so preparing for it in some special way can be naturally put in the game, not unlike Geralt prepares for fights with drinking potions.
I think this idea is not so good, It has to be fast and fun if I had to undress Geralt every time I took a dip I would blame YOU. ;)

I just watched the 5gig version and I must say it looks and feels amazing. It's everything I want The Witcher 3 to be.

That was definitely PC and I would love to know it's specs so I can prepare for gratification.

Minor quirks aside, the demo was very impressive. Things that stood out to me: cutscenes are even better than the ones in TW2, despite three being open world. The artists responsible for them are true wizards. Same goes for facial animations, awesome stuff. Visually, the game is stunning (apart from a few low res textures that only distract because everything else is amazing). I'm even starting to appreciate the music, now that I've swallowed the disappointment of it still not matching the style of the original. Combat still seems a bit wonky, so does the combat camera. Movement animations need some polishing as well, imo.

All in all, considering the release date is still ~6 months away, it's looking like a winner. Keep up the great work, guys.

I know people are gonna hate me for this, but..I wish the camera angle was closer up. Yep, I'm one of those dirty peasants who think that a closer up camera means more immersion. But I don't want it to be really close up in combat, but while walking around sure.

I mean, this would be totally fine. http://gfycat.com/SoupyWaterloggedJanenschia

I heard there wouldn't be any different modes. I think they should put it in. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I just feel like the current camera is so oddly placed. It gives a great view of the area sure but it makes me feel disconnected.
Different camera modes would be much appreciated, but mods will do that anyways, sooner or later. Heck, I'd even appreciate a first person mode while Geralt is just wandering around. Of course, when in combat, the camera would switch back to third person, but nothing beats fp when it comes to immersion (speaking for myself ofc). And this world seems to be one that deserves to be experienced in the most immersive way (again, for me, but I think for many others as well).

Last edited:
I second that. And welcome back, Reptile~
I hope Sardukhar hasn't run rampant in the Cyberpunk forums while you were away.

Actually, I think he was away as well. I'm starting to think we might be the same person.

Anyway, gameplay demo... There was gameplay, a game was played. It was pretty cool.

we have talked about the old footage, about he new footage of the ladies:

positives:
-sounds and music
-underwater is great.
-ladies are creepy as hell, some sick design artists :)
-shield blocking fire animation is brutal

negatives
-textures are still weird in some places
-nights are too bright (i know its full moon)
-animations still not fluid

the other stuff i already post in the right threads,

Overall the game looks good, but i think there is a lot of work to be done.

13. All climbable ledges look pretty much the same, only slightly more varied than in TW2, which had one. A few hours into the game and the player will have learned to recognize the two or three varieties, so I don’t really see the point in highlighting them with huge blobs of red paint. I would also like to know the lore-friendly rationale for Witcher senses detecting them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Actually, if you take a closer look at the Harpy hill it's almost identical to the one with the Griffin fight. The broken bridge going over the creek (in the path back to Johnny) is also the same as in the E3 demo when Geralt was tracking the Griffin. Some more variety would be nice.
14. The cave where the tree spirit dwells looks uninspired. In fcat, it looks less appealing than Johnny’s. Looked too flat, straightforward, lacking mystery. The problem was compounded by the above mentioned poor lighting, which was particularly poor here. The minion monsters the spirit summons themselves look uninspired. Aren't some straight from TW2?
There seemed to be more paths underwater, but Geralt took the shortest one (it wasn't even shown on the minimap), so there might be actually some more to explore (again when that path wasn't on the minimap maybe there were more like that).
21. Why don’t NPCs drop their burning wooden shields?
I liked that. It would be too easy gameplay wise. At most they could add a window where the bandit tries to dip his shield into the water to take out the flames.
Also if you think about it logically the shield was burning from the outside, it was in wet environment and it does not really seem that igni has enough strength to burn it into ashes, it's just the outward layer of wood burning.

Also not really relevant to the thread, but did anyone notice this in the fight with the water hag? There's some kind of weird monster in the back. Or it might just be some physics bug on a corpse. Pretty creepy though.
Pic related it can be seen moving near top-left corner of the radial menu (I know, radial and corner don't really fit together, but I don't know how to explain it).
[video]http://a.pomf.se/ylemur.webm[/video]

Last edited:
I'm with you. I like the zoomed-in camera from the debut trailer.

But then @sidspyker has to jump in and say how it's "not practical", and that "you'll die a lot", and this and that and--

Well Marcin said a long time ago we could adjust the camera in the settings. That may not still be the case though.

I'd avoid taking just what one developer says at face value. The reason is they might not know the whole picture when it comes to specific things that fall outside their area of expertise.

Such as asking an artist about the story or camera modes.

Oh my Goood, ooooh my Goood, it's not a 100% perfect!... I mean, who the hell cares. This (early!!!) demo as whole looks more polished and works much better than most released AAA titles out there and it looks and feels light years better than most of the stuff I've seen in games. Yet people go on and complain about stupid little mistakes instead of recognising that a real masterpiece and classic is in the making. Don't expect it to be perfect. It won't. Never, ever. Nothing is. Maaaan, all this nitpicking and complaining about graphical downgrading... don't expect Crysis 3 (basically and nVidia high-end graphics card demo) level of graphics in such a huge open world and ambitious game. This demo showed a lot more features alone than the whole Crysis anthology and all graphic centered games have altogether.

I am LOVING what I see in this demo, and I can't wait for the finished, polished and optimised masterpiece of a game this will be. My two cents.

Constructive criticism mean anything? "Sigh"

. don't expect Crysis 3 (basically and nVidia high-end graphics card demo) level of graphics in such a huge open world and ambitious game.

Amusing part but even with the downgraded graphics Witcher 3 gives Crysis 3 a run for it's money. With the trailer graphics it crushes Crysis 3.

So there's that.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about constructive criticism. I'm talking about the panicking or angry reactions which only recognise the mistakes in the demo.

I wholeheartedly agree with the graphics thing, but it has to do more with the art stlyle rather than the actual graphics. Crysis 3 (though I'm no fan of it) has better overall graphics... ya know: "more grass". :p

Top Bottom