Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+
Agree that the night was too bright. That there was a curious lack of sword thrusts. That enemy AI didn't coordinate - I was hoping to see the bandits wait until they were in line, or surround him and attack simultaneously. Instead it felt as if they were attacking independently.

Disagree about the short dialogue with the ealdorman. I found it amusing! Geralt's smalltalk, and his flat jab. "A real pearl of the swamps". And the ealdorman just stared at him without a clue, not sure what to say. "If ye say so". Brought a smile to my face. Speaking of which, I hope we see much more of the cheekiness Geralt had during Roche's interrogation in Witcher 2's prologue. Their dialogue was part of what made me fall in love with it. Unfortunately, he lost some of his sass as the game progressed. I hope he keeps it in this one.

Also liked Johnny and his voice. When Geralt looked to take in a deep breath and press his lips together to hold back from snapping, I sympathized. That's good.

I'm also coming around about the animations. I was ambivalent about them during the E3 presentation, but watching it now in better quality - they look great. Even the walking and running. That's how a person jogs, that's how a person sprints. It's realistic.

Even the combat doesn't bother me. I've come to believe that it's simply the player they're using, who's probably tired already from playing it again and again and again. He hits and jumps back, while often he can just stay up close and slash away. He's playing it safe, holding back, not jumping on the enemies when they're down through Aard, etc. A player who's more adventurous will likely bring out the full beauty of the combat system.

That being said - I do want more evasive animations, and I do hope the block system is as enjoyable as the Arkham games. I hate to think that Geralt can only jump away, while his dodging and parrying are significantly inferior. Dodging in the spot is much cooler than jumping away. Whether it's more realistic or not... don't know, don't care.

Game looks stunning. And that it's not the most updated build just makes me more excited.

1- LACK OF PAIN in voice acting and animations. The elderman for example, after cutting his own ear off acts normally. An amputation is 9/10 on the pain chart. It was a VERY tense moment, too quickly resolved. IMHO it needs for example some more hesitation before the cut, a choked scream right after, and the voice broken by pain during the dialogue with geralt. He acting normal is just not believable.
2-RUN ANIMATION. Looks somehow weird. Can be improved.
1. Actually, you can hear the pain in his voice (at least I can), even if it's resolved quickly as you've mentioned.

2. The sprinting animation looks OK, good even. The jogging, however, is a little robotic indeed. I think he's holding his arms too high maybe.

I already commented this video once so heres a link if anyones interested:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/31208-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-gamescom2014/page43

I actually liked all voice actors. Did anyone else also notice that VA for Gran also did Vaska from Witcher 1? I can't confirm this, but they sound hauntingly alike, in a good way. Have been watching the gameplay a couple of times. As soon as Gran approaches the tapestry I await her to announce "The Water Lords are nigh!" ^_^

Ahh, good times.

Not to nitpick, but I reacted to the 'aelderman' spelling. I know of the word alderman. I ought to know, there are the similarity to Scandinavic languages that means elder man, referring to a prominent title or occupation. I also know of the word elder, but a mix of the two? I've never seen that before. Don't say playing games can't be educational.^_^

Awesome job. Can't wait for it to be released. But:
1- LACK OF PAIN in voice acting and animations. The elderman for example, after cutting his own ear off acts normally. An amputation is 9/10 on the pain chart. It was a VERY tense moment, too quickly resolved. IMHO it needs for example some more hesitation before the cut, a choked scream right after, and the voice broken by pain during the dialogue with geralt. He acting normal is just not believable.
Another good example is Gran when being told to get the dagger and give it to Geralt. The delivery of the lines ("Aye, mistress. Right. On my way. Dagger. Gotta bring the dagger.") and that sense of urgency isn't that well reflected in the animation that goes along with it.
Just hearing the lines you would rather expect Gran to rush for the dagger, almost tripping in the process.

Novigrad is THE best medieval city I've seen in a game. Even better than AC cities. EVERY building is unique. As much as I love Skyrim this puts Solitude to shame.

Noticed something: check the shadows under NPCs in Novigrad. They appear from nowhere only when we get very close to the character.

Noticed something: check the shadows under NPCs in Novigrad. They appear from nowhere only when we get very close to the character.

Yeah that is part of the many supposed downgrades seen in the demo. Let's hope this was a lighter version just for proven stability.

One little thing port in Novigrad should be full of ships, now i saw only one :)

It's a matter of their communities system I think. Fishermen, merchants and so on have their own schedule, so they go out to the sea in the morning, to return in the evening. They mentioned this during one of the Novigrad E3 demos IIRC.

Good post OP. I don't know if it's been mentioned already but: what is the point of the Witcher sense footprints if the objective is shown on the radar? I'd rather have the thing removed from the radar at this point.
Also I agree with the climbing spots thing. Skyrim doesn't compare with Witcher 3 in many aspect but in Skyrim, there are ridges small enough for the player to jump and ridges that are too big for it, and that's it. Is the highlighting thing or whatever really needed? It could just be integrated seamlessly to the terrain through I guess that the engine needs a special spot to trigger the climb animation? In this way, it's an improvement over Skyrim.

It's a matter of their communities system I think. Fishermen, merchants and so on have their own schedule, so they go out to the sea in the morning, to return in the evening. They mentioned this during one of the Novigrad E3 demos IIRC.

I was talking about galleons and other big ships not some small fisherman boats ;)

I haven't but... that whole swamp part felt like a non-disneyfied fairy tale. Johnny really felt like an authentic force of nature. Spontaneous and not "civilized". It felt wild and mystical.

Please, read them. You will find that "fairy tale feel".
Sapkowski is one of the great fantasy writers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom