Reviews prior to release only for PS4 - no PC or Xbox this week

+
I like to know about PC performance, Graphical Options, etc which only can being gotten from PC version. As simple as that.

Again, all it takes is a look through this forum to find the settings, and also specific INI files have been dug through for settings too. No need to be reviewing a game to tell you what options there are in the menu.

Nope, I need review from PC centric news website: PC GAMER, RPS, DSOG, Digital foundry which being played the game in REAL TIME. Not tinkering INI files, what time is it now? 1999?

I fear what they want to hide from us, if they don't allow PC Reviews. Thats always screams of a Scam and only Publishers that know there are some huge Problems with the Version of the Game would deny Review-Copies.

If you are scared better cancel your Pre-Order and buy the Game after Release again, if Reviews of the PC-Version are out.

Nope, I need review from PC centric news website: PC GAMER, RPS, DSOG, Digital foundry which being played the game in REAL TIME. Not tinkering INI files, what time is it now? 1999?

If that is the only reason the solution is simple: Wait for the reviews, which will be out sometime, cancel your pre-order and buy the game when you know it's good.

As I said before, almost all the footage before has been on PC. Youtube materials have been on PC on ultra without any tinkering and recorded by youtubers themselves via nvidia shadowplay. I may be wrong, but I don't remember a single in depth performance analysis 1 week before a game launched.

I fear what they want to hide from us, if they don't allow PC Reviews. Thats always screams of a Scam and only Publishers that know there are some huge Problems with the Version of the Game would deny Review-Copies.

If you are scared better cancel your Pre-Order and buy the Game after Release again, if Reviews of the PC-Version are out.

Yes because we haven't seen hours of PC footage... oh wait, we have. We know what the performance is like on top end rigs with GTX 980, solid 60FPS with some dips. The only other thing is the amount of bugs, which to be honest since the game was developed simultaneously on all platforms will be similar.

Last edited:
With no PC-Reviewcodes given out I would NOT Pre-Order this Game until its clear why they are not wanting us to see the PC-Version before Release! :huh:

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that review copies were sent out 2-3 weeks ago, not yesterday. Like @sidspyker said, it's probably because they were still working on PC optimization and the dynamic resolution scaling thing for XboxOne.

Everbody else in the gaming industry don't show specific platform versions and let them be released a bit prior to release:

-> People are mad and blame them for not being honest and transparent before release.

CDPR doesn't show show specific platform versions and let them be reviewed a bit prior to release:

-> People claim that this is all just about optimization and that the final version will be good on whatever platform and that we should trust the PS4 reviews.

The internet is so full of horrible double standards...

It's just not comprehensible imho that they have so many extra months for optimization but the game on specific platforms apparently still isn't even presentable two or three weeks before release, after the disc is already printed and such. I mean, day one patch for games is the industry standard now. It's not like Witcher 3 would be the first gaming having such a thing. The question is whether they magically improve the game in just two or three weeks to a significant better level - something that apparently wasn't possible in the many months before.

I wouldn't care a 2% less nice PC version for reviews. Professional game reviewers know the specific issues with day one patches and 98% versions for reviews. They can deal with it and present it in the right way if they encounter any problems. As a customer I want to be well informed before release and on par with other customers of the same product on different versions if the version for the platform I own will be any good - including every feature that is specific to that platform.

Maybe the whole thing was really meant in a positive way - but it nevertheless looks shady and especially anti-PC. I thought RPG makers should be more sensitive and careful after what happened to Dragon Age Inquisition just a few months ago, where the PC version was seriously dragged down by bad control design and functionality. I thought that the PC version was CDPR's darling and that they would want reviewers to review and play their best, their ultimate version. I can't see how the PS4 version is any better than a 98%-ready PC version in any way, sorry. This decision to only allow PS4 reviews is in its core riving and unfair, leaving some customers behind in their level of significant information.

Of course there is no difference in stuff like the narrative, dialogues and quests but every game system (like combat) is heavily depending on controls so a solid comparative analysis just by reading PS4 reviews isn't possible. I hate to talk about Dragon Age Inquisition so much here, but it's the best recent example of how different versions of the same game play differently on different platforms and especially with different input schemes (of course at least partially based on specific expectations of customers on specific platforms concering overall game accessibility and controls). And the issue is just deepened by the fact that nobody at CDPR ever presented or talked about PC specific gameplay (besides pure graphics) so far, neither in any video nor in any in deepth interview or dev blog or something along that lines in the past view months. "PC controls are nice." and statements like that aren't sufficient for a solid assessment on the issue if you ask me, so I don't count that here.

And Xbox owners on the other side have to worry if their version of the game will even run without major hickups and framedrops in specific places and such. They must worry that the visuals in their version will be further dragged down in order to achieve a better performance and to avoid those hickups. So the PS4 version reviews aren't a really solid basis for proper assessments on the Xbox version neither.

Bottom line: this is a strange, shady-looking (even if not intended) decision that seperates and divides the community and that doesn't settle any worries of PC or Xbox customers about their specific versions. No matter if intended or not, it looks a lot like customers should be left in the dark about their versions of choice until release and that's in itself a practice in the gaming industry that is usually heavily - and rightfully - criticized by large parts of the gaming community. Apparently that's not the case if the developer is called CDPR but imho that has the nature of a double standard, more based on subjective loyalty or trust than on a solid assessment of the current situation. If you ask me - as a long time gamer - we shouldn't accept or even applaud such practices. We should strive for equality of the treatment of customers and platforms and we should strive for full transparency and honesty. I think especially in the case of CDPR, that's not too much to ask.

And some of you seem to forget that if they haven't send out PC and Xbox copies by now there won't be any platform specific reviews at release. For a game of that length you can't expect reviewers to be able to make a solid review in just under a week. So there even won't be any PC or Xbox reviews at release day which is imho highly disappointing and something I truly haven't expected by CDPR.

If you ask me one of the only really credible site for PC reviews is IncGamers nowadays (apart from purely niche/genre sites).

Last edited:
The *game* is the same. We know the graphics and performance of graphics are better (at least for high end PC, if not for 'console level' hardware), and we can see that KB&M definitions are user modifiable.

Not sure what "magick" you expect to befall the PC version to make it shite enough to fret over.

I happen to be able to play on a decent (high or mix of high and uber) PC. But I'd happily have played on PS4. I'd probably not choose to get the weaker XB1 if I had a choice, but that is because I have neither console, and for the price difference I'd rather have 'more bang for the buck'. I expect all three to be identical in all aspects that really matter, but for the PC to have graphics that side by side would look significantly better ~ the general effect should be the same though.

Yes because we haven't seen hours of PC footage... oh wait, we have. We know what the performance is like on top end rigs with GTX 980, solid 60FPS with some dips. The only other thing is the amount of bugs, which to be honest since the game was developed simultaneously on all platforms will be similar.

They played on CDPR PCs with a CDPR Version we don't know shit about! Watch JesseCoxes latest video where he talks about the Downgrade and says we don't know shit about how the Final game will look. There is no independant PC-Gameplay out there, everything has gone through some kind of CDPR filter!

What exactly about the performance do you want it there to be reviewed? The game has been said to run at 60FPS by gamestar.de and numerous youtubers who a lot of the time are better journalists than the official game media.

1. We don't know how much the PC version and graphics changed since the Gamestar preview.
  2. We don't know whether the Gamestar journalist really maxed out the settings.
  3. We don't know whether the mouse/keyboard controls are any good (from a systemic view that can't be changed by the player, not only talking about rebindable keys here).
  4. We don't know whether the game will have any memory leaks, hickups or other long-term negative effects.
  5. We don't know whether there are some old or new bugs the Gamestar journalist hasn't encountered.
  6. We don't know how the game scales to different hardware (only a very small fraction of PC gamers play the game on ultra).
  7. We don't know how the framerates behaves in specific areas (the Gamestar journalist already said back then that there were framedrops in Novigrad).
  8. We don't know how the UI systems will function in the PC version and if there will be any changes from the console version.
  9. We don't know how much we can customize the settings and controls, even beyond the ingame settings.

None of the videos of youtubers or whomever can solve these issues to a satisfying amount. None of these videos is based on the final release version. All of these videos are played on a specific powerful hardware that CDPR provided. All of these videos show only the first few hours of the game (with nobody knowing how other regions or settings influence the perforamnce).

Last edited:
The fact that the PS4 version, the only one given to reviewers, has a number technical issues does raise questions over the state of the PC and Xbox versions. At the end of the day the best option is to wait for reviews before purchasing.

They played on CDPR PCs with a CDPR Version we don't know shit about! Watch JesseCoxes latest video where he talks about the Downgrade and says we don't know shit about how the Final game will look. There is no independant PC-Gameplay out there, everything has gone through some kind of CDPR filter!

You're obviously quite upset....maybe do us all favour and delay buying until after the review sites of your choice have posted reviews?parience is a virtue......

Same goes for "Faith"....if you don't like what you've seen or remain concerned, simply don't give them your money yet.

1) We don't know how much the PC version and graphics changed since the Gamestar preview.
2) We don't know whether the Gamestar journalist really maxed out the settings.
3) We don't know whether the mouse/keyboard controls are any good.
4) We don't know whether the game will have any memory leaks, hickups or other long-term negative effects.
5) We don't know whether there are some old or new bugs the Gamestar journalist hasn't encountered.
6) We don't know how the game scales to different hardware (only a very small fraction of PC gamers play the game on ultra).
7) We don't know how the framerates behaves in specific areas (the Gamestar journalist already said back then that there were framedrops in Novigrad).
8) We don't know how the UI systems will function in the PC version and if there will be any changes from the console version.
9) We don't know how much we can customize the settings and controls, even beyond the ingame settings.

1) We know how they look. Source: Go through any of the youtubers footage, at least two of them have said it was on Ultra.
2) See above
3) You can rebind the keys freely ingame, we also have the default settings from the manual that has been uploaded a few days ago. What else do you want?
4) True
5) There will be bugs as with any game especially open world. The game was developed as one version which was confirmed back in February, in other words game bugs will not differ significantly between version. In other words any bug reports in reviews now can be applicable to PC version.
6) And you won't find out until benchmarks come out. Normal Reviewers will always only play on top rigs. So please point me to a review that came out a week before a game that has a full benchmark on different hardware, then I can retract my point.
7) True, but we know there are dips in populated areas and hairworks can cause some dips. Otherwise all that has been reported is solid 60FPS.
8 ) You have key shortcuts to each menu, as per the manual that has been leaked. Otherwise the UI is exactly the same.
9) There is a huge thread about the INI files that came with the pre load that talk just about that. Also we have seen the ingame settings in various videos.

Also if you are afraid about the game, simple solution is do not per order the game, wait for PC reviews/Benchmarks/Downgrade outrage. Decide with your wallet, shitty practices within the game industry are there because the consumers allow them to be there. CDPR have made it clear with the controversial expansion pass, are you not sure? Wait for the reviews and decide then.

Last edited:
1) We know how they look. Source: Go through any of the youtubers footage, at least two of them have said it was on Ultra.
The youtubers didn't play the release version. Also they only played on ONE specific hardware specification, provided by CDPR. If you don't have the very same hardware at home, you can't be sure how the game looks and performs for you.

2) See above
See above.

3) You can rebind the keys freely ingame, we also have the default settings from the manual that has been uploaded a few days ago. What else do you want?
I think you haven't understood what systemic means. That's the part of controls that can't be changed by rebinding keys. E.g. how strong attacks work (in comparison to consoles of course and on its own) or how camera work in combat works.

5) There will be bugs as with any game especially open world. The game was developed as one version which was confirmed back in February, in other words game bugs will not differ significantly between version. In other words any bug reports in reviews now can be applicable to PC version.
I talk about PC specific bugs. Just think about AC Unity. The game could run quite well on one system while it was a pure nightmore on another, only slithly different one. Since all the people playing the PC version so far played on one specific, very powerful hardware system provided by CDPR we can't make any good assessments on the known information.

6) And you won't find out until benchmarks come out. Normal Reviewers will always only play on top rigs. So please point me to a review that came out a week before a game that has a full benchmark on different hardware, then I can retract my point.
True. But why shouldn't there be benchmarks if the PC review code is sent out? There are several pages which do both reviews and bechnmarks (e.g. German PC Gamers Hardware).

7) True, but we know there are dips in populated areas and hairworks can cause some dips. Otherwise all that has been reported is solid 60FPS.
Again, on the one specific system. With a version that wasn't the final built. Only in areas that CDPR let previewers play (which is by far not the same thing than having complete freedom to go anywhere in a proper review). And sure, we don't know whether they have fixed the hickups in Novigrad and how they fixed it in case (optimization or dragging down graphics or just leaving it be?).

8 ) You have key shortcuts to each menu, as per the manual that has been leaked. Otherwise the UI is exactly the same.
I guess so but we don't know that for sure. Again, arguably the youtubers were not allowed to play the game with mouse/keyboard since CDPR were still working on it. So we don't know whether there were any (serious) changes and how they turn out in the final version. And so far we have only seen some "accidental" screens with PC prompts, coming from that pre-release version that was apparently not final for the PC controls.

9) There is a huge thread about the INI files that came with the pre load that talk just about that. Also we have seen the ingame settings in various videos.
Might be true for graphics, but arguably not for controls. We don't know for sure if we for example can bind keys to all buttons our gaming mice offer and if - in case we can't - third party products will work to solve that.

Also if you are afraid about the game, simple solution is do not per order the game, wait for PC reviews/Benchmarks/Downgrade outrage. Decide with your wallet, shitty practices within the game industry are there because the consumers allow them to be there.
Of course. But why should I be silent about it. I usually DO vote with my wallet. But I'm also not afraid to criticize where criticism is imo due. I still want people to reflect about their behaviour and change their behaviour next time. That's what discussions and forums are there, or not? To talk openly about topics and exchange positions and opinions and to try to convince other people with solid arguments. So I don't see how the "vote with your wallet" argument in any case neglects any of my points here.

CDPR have made it clear with the controversial expansion pass, are you not sure? Wait for the reviews and decide then.
Again, true. But if they haven't send out PC codes yet there won't be any (serious/solid) PC reviews at release - simply since PC reviews don't have the time anymore to properly play and assess the game to its completion before release on this platform. So I'm in a worse position - as a PC gamer - than PS4 gamers and that - sorry -sucks. It really sucks. Of course I could wait another few weeks, but let's be honest: that's pretty hard if a lot of your friends play the game already and talk about it all the time. You probably don't want to miss out and you don't want to wait that long. So you just give up your ideals and buy the damn thing nevertheless, without ever having read a proper PC review and without having any (kind of) guarantee that the game will run nicely on your specific hardware and that your control priorities are served in an appopriate manner and so on. I think that's a disappointing story and a story I just haven't expected from CDPR. As I've said, maybe their intentions were fine, but the outcome is pretty poor, to say the least. They very much behave like one the big "evil" publishers here, the ones they so frequently criticised themselves in the past few years...

Look let the people show their opinions without fighting.
I think Cd projekt told us they ship febrerury to may for polish the game and those bugs / glitches reported in many website are disappointment. Moderators are deleting post and comments about pc gamers arguing why they downgrade graphics for most part already discuss and prove. Then why a pc developer who advertise their game on pc knowing most of the fanbase is there are getting their reviews later? we Cd projekt never delayed a game. Well now they delayed and has technical issues reported on ps4 and pc. Is perfectly Okey argue about this

Last edited:
I don't think so. Most of the january hands-ons and all youtuber march hands-on were played on pc. Furthermore almost all of the trailers and gameplay shown so far were played and recorded on pc.

Well from what it seems we won't be getting any PC reviews before the release which has me thinking. The ps4 reviews are already out there and they are praising it pretty much. Is the PC version so vastly different that they are afraid they will get bad reviews and maybe lose preorders?

They say the hold up is because they want to release a day 1 patch. Well is the experience so different that without this patch you will lose customers?
There are 2 camps out there who are saying that either they want the pc version to be totally perfect before anyone plays it even reviewers or they kinda focused too much on the console versions and don't want to let anyone know how "bad" the pc port is.

The answer we generally get is "Wait and see". Well why be so cryptic? why not answer anything? can't we know what that patch is for? If the pc version is good people will just say "meh they did well" and shrug any disbelief they had under the rug but if the game is "bad" whether because of lousy keyboard/mouse controls or this so called "downgrade" the fans will probably crucify the devs on the spot.

Will this gamble, they made, worth it?

Top Bottom