Revival of the CyberPunk Genre

+
Revival of the CyberPunk Genre

I was a huge fan of Anarchy Online. It was unfortunate to see the game ruined with the Shadowlands Expansion. It was a degredation of the essence that made Anarchy Online the cyberpunk dystopia it was meant to be.

I certainly hope to see CyberPunk 2077 to be a revival of THIS genre and THAT level of depth in an rpg. Too often are games with great imagination and design watered down by aiming to be too "user-friendly".

I'm interested to know more... soon.

Well, really I think cyberpunk is a logical way to go for video games.

Modern games have a lot of emphasis on customization, which is also a component of cyberpunk (build your own human-robot hybrid). Cyberpunk allows for very cool puzzles and almost magical technology, characters doing inhuman things, and a very nice aesthetic to work with. Cyberpunk is actually a good alternative to fantasy games, I think, because you can pull off a lot of the "magic" type stuff and just explain it using technology.

Of course, a good cyberpunk game also focuses on the dilapidated, dreary part of things, with the government conspiracy and deep ethical questions. Games in general are going this way, though! Even Call of Duty has some early cyberpunk-like stuff going on with the Black Ops series and its emphasis on hacking, being watched, future privacy-invading technology, etc.

I found AO to be pretty RPG-lite, like every MMO I've played, frankly. Personal consequences, visceral engagement and character attachment via history were lacking. MMOs are such huge things that those details tend to be displaced.

Setting was pretty cool, though. Not sure if I'd say it's my kind of Cyberpunk, lacking that certain Dashiell-Hammet-meets-Isaac-Asimov-plus-combat-drugs-and-futile-self-expression feel I like.

I found AO to be pretty RPG-lite, like every MMO I've played, frankly. Personal consequences, visceral engagement and character attachment via history were lacking. MMOs are such huge things that those details tend to be displaced.

Setting was pretty cool, though. Not sure if I'd say it's my kind of Cyberpunk, lacking that certain Dashiell-Hammet-meets-Isaac-Asimov-plus-combat-drugs-and-futile-self-expression feel I like.

What separated it from other RPGs at the time, and for many years after, was the in depth character customization and "twink-ability". With enough KNOWLEDGE you could have potentially a very powerful character. However, I do agree with you that that was limited. I would like to see more attachment to your character via story, as well as investment in style of play characteristics.

Oh, yeah.

Although.

Although.

I would never complain if someone built an MMO called "C-SWAT" where your hand-made characterslevelled up by hunting cyberpsychos and crafting gear from the pieces while engaged in a running battle with street-gang factions and Arasaka. Because great.

A C-Swat game like the recent X-Com reboot or similar to Fallout:Tactics would be very good in my opinion. I do see the cyberpunk genre resurgent right now which is nothing to complain about, that's for sure. Was a big fan of how DE:HR handled things and I'm personally looking forward to Watch Dogs.

A C-Swat game like the recent X-Com reboot or similar to Fallout:Tactics would be very good in my opinion. I do see the cyberpunk genre resurgent right now which is nothing to complain about, that's for sure. Was a big fan of how DE:HR handled things and I'm personally looking forward to Watch Dogs.

Agreed! It's a good time to be a cyberpunk! Have you guys tried the Android: Netrunner card game? It's a reimagining of the classic CCG, and the artwork is INSANE! Oh and the game is great too lol

I always loved Cyberpunk genre, not only in video games but in japanese animation, books, comics and the most great and sweet paper and pen table top rpgs.

I expect so much for this game as I expect from WOD from CCPGAMES, I hope they pay attention to every little detail in this one, I also expect them to gather as many lore from all cybrpunk sources from GURPS cyberpunk, ghost in the shell, the neuromancer, etc, etc.

Dont let us down guys!

Cyberpunk has always been my favourite genre. It's been dead in terms of games for ages. Deus Ex: HR was the first decent cyberpunk experience I've had in years. I'm hoping games like this are gonna contribute to a resurgence in interest.

My foolish players won't play CP2020 because I hate them. SLA Industries and Dark Heresy instead.

Perhaps CP2077 will re-interest them in the joys of near-future tech-noir. Even if it lacks demons.

My foolish players won't play CP2020 because I hate them. SLA Industries and Dark Heresy instead.

Perhaps CP2077 will re-interest them in the joys of near-future tech-noir. Even if it lacks demons.
I hear your pain. Got my friends who only do fantasy genre rpgs. If it does't have elves they ain't interested.

There's been a few times within the past decade I was expecting to see the genre get more popularity, especially around the time of the Matrix. Only time will tell...

The revival has spread through movies and games, perhaps literature too. Who knows what stirs these creative trends. I'm just glad it's cyberpunk and not some lame space marine theme CDPR has taken up. Cyberpunk is woefully absent in gaming.

I absolutely adore the Cyberpunk genre. I wished it had more justice in the video game industry but with Cyberpunk 2077, it might earn it. I am very anxious to see more of it.

I've never heard of this before until today. Looks really interesting. Looks like I'm of to wiki to read up more about it haha =)

It's an exciting time to be a cyberpunk fan. Interest will keep growing as our reality comes closer to it.

Top Bottom