Revival of the CyberPunk Genre

+
I have no clue about 2020 so everything being new to me (not the genre, just this game) is very exciting for me!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here too, and I didn't really understand the whole cyberpunk universe or i thought it was way to complex to understand.
But I found a very sexy looking site that cleaned my confusion up: http://cyberpunk.asia/index.php?lng=us
I love the statistics on the guns, vehicles, and so on. Really cool stuff.
I hope they don't mess up the game.

Cheers

I have been a Cyberpunk fan from the start. I've read just about every novel of the genre and seen every film. I've played the pen and paper rpg, and am very excited by this game.

It's also nice to see people who have not experienced cyberpunk before taking an interest.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here too, and I didn't really understand the whole cyberpunk universe or i thought it was way to complex to understand.
But I found a very sexy looking site that cleaned my confusion up: http://cyberpunk.asia/index.php?lng=us

Cheers

Very nice find, Cluster. I shall update the 2020 resources page accordingly.

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Thanks for the link. I never played the PnP game so I'll be reading up on the history and lore of the universe.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be the best Cyberpunk game ever because its not some Cyberpunk game its "the Cyberpunk game".

Made by Mike and CD and thats a realy awesome combo :)

Well. It'll hopefully NOT be the best Cyberpunk game ever. In fact, I hope it is, well superb, the least of CDPR's Cyberpunk efforts. I'd liek to see a series of CP2077 games, each better than the last.

Hopefully it will inspire a number of competitors, too, each really good.

The rules :
1) Style over Substance.
2) Attitude is Everything.
3) Always take it to the Edge.
4) Break the Rules.

Hopefully in a couple years, we don't get flooded with a barrage of games pandering to kiddies who want OMG XTREEEEM BADASS CYBERPUNK STYELZ GAME!!!11, KEWL ROBOT ARMZ!!!1111, each title more and more implausible, milking the genre for all it's worth until it's been bled white and the name "cyberpunk" is ruined for another generation to come.

Cyberpunk has a lot more to offer than merely a visually impressive style. The societal impact of increasingly prevalent and comprehensive man-machine interfacing is worth exploring, and should drive the fundamentals of any Cyberpunk fiction.

Which isn't to say that it is wrong to sometimes relish in the style and superficial trappings associated with the genre. If Cyberpunk 2077 is more style than substance (as devs have suggested), that's okay with me. But if the core of Cyberpunk is buried by a revival of style but not substance, it would be a big loss.

Steampunk these last few years has gained widespread popular status: as far as I can tell it is mostly an aesthetic/historical fantasy, that has little to say about society or history, etc.

Maybe steampunk and cyberpunk are fundamentally different in nature. It is probable that steampunk wa always an aesthetic/fantasy movement first and foremost. Or maybe there is a core group of "steampunkers" out there crying over the ruination of their genre. If that were the case, it'd be quite sad.

Hopefully in a couple years, we don't get flooded with a barrage of games pandering to kiddies who want OMG XTREEEEM BADASS CYBERPUNK STYELZ GAME!!!11, KEWL ROBOT ARMZ!!!1111, each title more and more implausible, milking the genre for all it's worth until it's been bled white and the name "cyberpunk" is ruined for another generation to come.

Not what i was aiming for. its just how the world is "jump on the bandwagon"

Have no fear. "Cyberpunk" will get played out, in the way that Sum 41 and Good Charolette sully the name of "Punk" in the vein of Iggy Pop, GG Allin, or Steve Ignorant. =p

It's always easy to spot the tourists. It's also pretty easy to shake 'em down for their wallets, so it's not all bad. ;-)

The best thing about a possible revivial has to be, ( other than playing teh game of course), staring in wonder at how simialr our world is now to the world we played in 20 years ago.

And how we have surpassed some elements and not others. It's a weird and wonderful feeling as we observe the murderous antics of the first Olympian cyborg, the angry debates about the ethical use of armed drones, the widespread popularity of mobile computing devices and the commercial inception of advanced prosthetics. Just for a start. Just recently.

Welcome to the future. Hope your kids don't need skinweave and Trauma Team.

Top Bottom