Reword Golyat

+

Guest 4322057

Why do you think so, how does it make Golyat unplayable?

I would propose the same for Tibor Eggebracht and Vilgefortz (destroying opponent's card). This mechanic can be fine-tuned/balanced further by for example only drawing bronzes.
I think it’s not a great idea as well. That’s too much of a downside. As was previously suggested, if you don’t want your lowest unit pulled, don’t kill Golyat.

Considering that lowest hitpoints units derive value from deploy effects, and not their bodies in itself, makes killing Golyath always a negative impact on the opponent... unless its an Order unit which you can actually benefit from pulling, but seems like a rare case.

We first need to establish the idea behind Golyat's deathwish to summon the opponent's lowest unit. Is this just some "funny" RNG, or is this to balance out the 10 strength for 10 provision (!) and present the risk of giving the opponent a card if killed? I think/hope it is the latter. The same is true for Tibor and Vilgefortz.

Now looking at the mechanic, "Summon" has changed from pre-HC in that a unit summoned for the opponent is no longer drawn in hand and allowed to be played. This means "Summon" can now brick an opponent's card with deploy abilities or brick it by putting it on the board when it is not useful. In addition, it can summon any card from bronze to legendary. I think this is way OP for a 10 strength 10 provision card. Based on my assumption above, I don't believe this is how it is supposed to work. The opponent should be allowed to play the card if it is summoned.

Last edited:
We first need to establish the idea behind Golyat's deathwish to summon the opponent's lowest unit. Is this just some "funny" RNG, or is this to balance out the 10 strength for 10 provision (!) and present the risk of giving the opponent a card if killed? I think/hope it is the latter. The same is true for Tibor and Vilgefortz.

Yes, presumably the DW mechanic is there to balance the 10p cost vs the 10 card value. I say presumably because it's hard to tell what logic, if any, goes into designing certain cards at times.

Now looking at the mechanic, "Summon" has changed from pre-HC in that a unit summoned for the opponent is no longer drawn in hand and allowed to be played. This means "Summon" can now brick an opponent's card with deploy abilities or brick it by putting it on the board when it is not useful. In addition, it can summon any card from bronze to legendary.

While true, you can't look at the fact the pulled card can brick without considering what it costs to do it. You're not only losing value for the pulled card but thinning the opponent deck. Yeah, if you pull a 1-2 pt card capable of high value it's worth it. There is no way to reliably guarantee this for most of the summon cards unless you pair them with something like Quax. Even then it's not going to work unless the card is in the opponent deck.

Tibor/Vilg aren't really a problem. I could see taking issue with their ability to pull both golds and bronzes. They're not exactly unbalanced as they are now though.

I think this is way OP for a 10 strength 10 provision card.

To an extent I'd agree. If only because Golyat pulls the lowest unit. Pulling the lowest unit is arguably stronger because it's more controllable. Additionally, the unit pull for Golyat is a DW ability instead of a deploy. This can make killing him punishing, which can offset the risk associated with putting a large body unit on the board. So by all means request Golyat be changed. I just don't think making him draw a card for the opponent is the right way to do it.

If killing Golyath becomes "opponent draws a card" Monster Mill/Consume archetype can become a thing.

The issue is not to draw a card, is to be able to play the card summoned, instead of just being placed without using it's ability (unless it's passive).

The issue is not to draw a card, is to be able to play the card summoned, instead of just being placed without using it's ability (unless it's passive).

Exactly. Change the Summon mechanic to somehow always allow a summoned card to be played. If summoned during the opponent's turn, then the card should be drawn in hand (and limit to bronze or something). If that's not preferred, than better change Golyat.

Top Bottom