[RFE] Please mark which card is targeted by Monster's ability

+
[RFE] Please mark which card is targeted by Monster's ability

This is a request for enhancement, please highlight or mark the card which will be carried over to the next round by the Monster's ability. Nothing worse than buffing the wrong unit only to see your 7 drowner moved to the next round instead of your 22 Ancient Foglet. Especially in round two when many cards are played it's sometimes hard to keep track, I lost several matches due to my mind playing tricks on me.

Which also makes it easier for your opponent to snipe the right target.

The issue isn't really that you can't tell which card is targeted by the Monster passive, but rather that there is inconsistent behavior with spawns. Once this is fixed, you should be able to tell what is what.

4RM3D;n7760370 said:
Which also makes it easier for your opponent to snipe the right target.
No it should be only marked for the card owner, just a faint glow around the the unit which only the owner can see. Spawns are not the problem (because most of them are fleeting anyway), but multiple instances of the same card are, like 2 or 3 Ancient Foglets. It gets even worse when the opponent begins to move them around with Aard or Drowners, then it becomes a guess game.

what the... how do you forget which card was the last one you played?

we don't need too much hand-holding in this game... every now and then there is a thread popping up about how the text on a card is not 100% accurate about the exact interaction it's going to have, and how people could never be able to understand what happened even after seeing that interaction happening a couple of times. (this is why there should be mandatory dark souls play-sessions in schools.)

I think this is a good idea (and i don't even play monsters). There is no reasons why it shouldn't be there. But if they implement it it should be visible to both players, otherwise it would be unfair (both players should have the same access to information on stuff on the board).

thats a logical proposition but ive recently won a match where my oponent demoted my gold card so that it would suffer from weather effect but didnt consider that im going to keep that card into the next round which gave me a huge boost and that allowed me to win a match i'd surely lose otherwise

so im going to say that knowing which monster card will stay on the field is probably part of what makes up skill/knowledge in this game

you are right, both of you are right, but you missed one point: spawned units affect monster's passive, same for monsters nest.. so, if you a vran that consume a creature, and an arachas behemot, that spawns an arachas, you ll take it into next round.. not so difficult
but yeah.. this should be fixed.. bringing in next round a 3 strenght creature is embarassing, and, consume deck is supposed to be play like this

RickMelethron;n7761710 said:

we don't need too much hand-holding in this game... every now and then there is a thread popping up about how the text on a card is not 100% accurate about the exact interaction it's going to have, and how people could never be able to understand what happened even after seeing that interaction happening a couple of times. (this is why there should be mandatory dark souls play-sessions in schools.)

I play Crones, they jump into play pretty much at same time, are sure which one you should damage? Or there are about 8 spiders made, 4 creatures consumed and 4 Nekkers comes into play from deck, are you sure which one stay in play? Especially when game is kind of inconsistent in counting which card is played? I mean spiders are not played, so why they stay in play? OK so it is last card that comes into play? Sure, why not, but why I then keep the Crone I played from hand and not one that come into play from deck after that? Or what if I play 3 Wild Riders with same picture? You will know which one game pick to stay in play? It is really not hand holding, it is just consistently showing what is going on. I mean why game show value of each row and your total value? That is hand holding, you should be able to calculate it yourself, right?

In addition to what is already said, things get tricky when the opponent starts moving your units around from one row to another, then some special or gold cards are played and then you want to buff the right unit for the next round. But wait, which one was it again? It's becoming a guessing game rather quickly and Monster's ability reverts back to what it was before the patch.

I think that the previous ability was better. Yes, I mostly got mini Foglets selected instead of my Eredin (or at least it felt like that), but still I liked it more. At the moment, I also think that this mark would be kinda great, but then it gives your opponent a strong hint which card he should Scorch in the next round.

I'm not a fan of heavy buffing anyways, so I'd definitely prefer the earlier ability.

Sunsibar;n7763550 said:
I think that the previous ability was better. Yes, I mostly got mini Foglets selected instead of my Eredin (or at least it felt like that), but still I liked it more. At the moment, I also think that this mark would be kinda great, but then it gives your opponent a strong hint which card he should Scorch in the next round.

I'm not a fan of heavy buffing anyways, so I'd definitely prefer the earlier ability.

Now that's just not right. The less RNG the more actual skills matters. The more RNG the faster this game becomes a coin flip simulator like Hearthstone

NlelithZ44;n7765390 said:
I like this idea, if it will only be visible to unit's owner.

Worst idea ever, it should be either random so no player know or open information, so both players could play around it strategically. As owner I usually know which unit stay, but opponent has about half sec to see which Crone I played.

I agree with the idea of highlighting the card for clarity, definitely for the owner only though. There is no reason for the opposition to know this information.

I don't think this has anything to do with handholding. It's more about being clear what is happening with stuff like the Crones. Also, Dark Souls does a terrific job at explaining its mechanics (except poise), which cannot be said about the inconsistent monster passive.

At first I had similar thoughts, then I realized:
1.) I use a decktracker, so I am a hypocrite if i scold other ppl for tracking something that can be done by memory
2.) The Skill of gwent shouldn't be predicting what will happen on the board as it is, it's predicting your opponents cards and adjusting your playstyle to it
3.) Somebody will release a program that does it for you

EDIT: And on the topic of "Only for the Owner"
Why?
This information is deterministic and available to anyone. Why should the monster player have the advantage?

Last edited:
DocGurk;n7768710 said:
Also, Dark Souls does a terrific job at explaining its mechanics (except poise),

Dark Souls: press X to dodge
Players be like:

Dark Souls 3: press X to dodge
Players still be like:

(No idea why I just posted this.)

I'd like a feature like that, although I have to admit that most of the issues we have right now are due to the fact that the faction ability feels inconsistent and not too intuitive at the moment. Even with the Crones you often can't say fore sure, which one will stay for the next round. Highlighting the card that will stay or giving some other info that indicates that, seems not like a bad idea.

(this is why there should be mandatory dark souls play-sessions in schools.)
Holy moly I was so in disagreement with everything you said that I completely missed this sentence - which I completely 100% agree with, althought or because it has nothing to do with Gwent or my request for enhancement :D

I only wished I would be as strong in Gwent as I used to be in DS:
[video=youtube;b4oKfsc-cek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4oKfsc-cek[/video]

Top Bottom