Rhosyn / General Mairwen Rhoysn

+
Rhosyn / General Mairwen Rhoysn

We all know Rhosyn from White Orchard's quest "Missing in Action". That is the quest where Dune wants to search the battlefield for his brother Bastien, and we find Bastien in a hut, together with the Nilfgardian soldier Rhosyn with his twisted ankle(s).

Rhosyn entertains Bastien with some story about absurd commands the Nilfgardian officers used to give (ordered that the soldiers should empty their bowels on command before the battle), as Geralt approaches. When Geralt and Dune then are in the hut, Rhosyn turns completely silent and avoids eye contact with everyone, including Bastien who speaks up for him.

I always found that "no eye contact, completely silent" thing a bit peculiar, but eh, can be understandable if he thinks that these northern barbarians just came to cut his throat/leave him there in the hut so that he can starve to death or die on his own initiative. Still, somewhat peculiar, given how verbose he was just a few seconds earlier while chatting with Bastien.

Right, then Geralt gets the deciding vote about if Rhosyn will live or not; if he's being sheltered by the Dune / Liesje family, he'll still be around in the epilogue of the Witcheress endings under Dijkstra and Radovid as ruler. I'm this time about to check if this lovely family survives the Nilfgardian rule as well, but don't know it yet.

Anyway.

Between the ghoul nest east of the battlefield and the Ransacked Village is a gallows with a bunch of dead people. And the following note:

Directive Number A/280/IX

Burying the bodies of hanged deserters and rebels is hereby strictly forbidden. Anyone caught trying to cut down hanging corpses will be summarily executed.

General Mairwen Rhosyn, viceroy of the Province of Temeria.

Is it possible that Rhosyn-with-the-twisted-leg is that Rhosyn-viceroy-of-Temeria?

Or is "Rhosyn" just some really common Nilfgardian name and everyone there is called like that, like every named female NPC in Touissant seems to have an "Anna" in their name? I don't recall any other Rhosyns in the game, but maybe I am just missing the obvious. :p

Last edited:
If you think of it. Not all Nilfgaardians know how to speak the common tongue. Mostly, people in the upper ranks are trained for this.
Either that soldier and the viceroy is the same person, or it's one good coincidence.

However, it might be worth noting that if Rhosyn is a high-ranking officer, it would be weird if he's suddenly submissive with Nordlings.

Good point, @DinkzOfRivia.

(Though we can be sure that even simple soldiers mastered the basics: "Hands up!", "Kill them!" and "Don't play with Fire"; and most can say "Nordling" in a threatening manner.) ;)

I looked closely at him yesterday, and his armor does look nothing like what I'd expect an officer to wear. More like the "Black Infantry Archer (in brown)" gwent card. It's possible that the officers wear such armor layers underneath the black plates though. Bastien was blind at first, so Rhosyn could've removed his armor plates.

If Rhosyn = Rhosyn, then it would make a more interesting story than him being just some random peasant soldier. It also can't be a coincidence that the Rhosyn-viceroy's name only appears on a paper right next to the battlefield where that quest takes place. Officer fell off his horse in the commotion caused by Yen's magical activities, broke his legs and panicked because of said commotion, and fled from the battlefield together with a random other survivor, who happened to be an enemy footsoldier recruit. Nice story.

I kind of doubt that anyone would've told him to defecate on command before a battle though - at least not in this current war. :p Maybe his story was from earlier wars, when he wasn't a high ranking officer yet.

I wouldn't call him submissive. It was more as if he suddenly shut down. Avoiding eye contact actually makes also more sense if he's a high ranking officer: fear that he might be taken as a high value hostage and all the shame involved.

But yes, really peculiar, that behaviour. Compare it to the Nilfgardian deserter who's about to be hanged west of Blackbough. That one keeps looking at people and keeps begging for his life. Rhosyn was more like: "Oh shit. Don't want to catch attention. Gonna be quiet."

Alright, I am curious now if there are any surprises in "Nilfgard won / Witcheress" epilogue. Because it would not make a whole lot of sense that he stays with that family if the Nilfgardian Overlords' grasp of the rulership of the north is established completely. Not unless he really came to like these guys and had nothing to go back home for. Which seems unlikely.

Good point, @DinkzOfRivia.

(Though we can be sure that even simple soldiers mastered the basics: "Hands up!", "Kill them!" and "Don't play with Fire"; and most can say "Nordling" in a threatening manner.) ;)

I looked closely at him yesterday, and his armor does look nothing like what I'd expect an officer to wear. More like the "Black Infantry Archer (in brown)" gwent card. It's possible that the officers wear such armor layers underneath the black plates though. Bastien was blind at first, so Rhosyn could've removed his armor plates.

If Rhosyn = Rhosyn, then it would make a more interesting story than him being just some random peasant soldier. It also can't be a coincidence that the Rhosyn-viceroy's name only appears on a paper right next to the battlefield where that quest takes place. Officer fell off his horse in the commotion caused by Yen's magical activities, broke his legs and panicked because of said commotion, and fled from the battlefield together with a random other survivor, who happened to be an enemy footsoldier recruit. Nice story.

I kind of doubt that anyone would've told him to defecate on command before a battle though - at least not in this current war. :p Maybe his story was from earlier wars, when he wasn't a high ranking officer yet.

I wouldn't call him submissive. It was more as if he suddenly shut down. Avoiding eye contact actually makes also more sense if he's a high ranking officer: fear that he might be taken as a high value hostage and all the shame involved.

But yes, really peculiar, that behaviour. Compare it to the Nilfgardian deserter who's about to be hanged west of Blackbough. That one keeps looking at people and keeps begging for his life. Rhosyn was more like: "Oh shit. Don't want to catch attention. Gonna be quiet."

Alright, I am curious now if there are any surprises in "Nilfgard won / Witcheress" epilogue. Because it would not make a whole lot of sense that he stays with that family if the Nilfgardian Overlords' grasp of the rulership of the north is established completely. Not unless he really came to like these guys and had nothing to go back home for. Which seems unlikely.

I just finished the main story on NG+, with the "Nilfgard won / Witcheress" epilogue. Right now, Rhosyn is in White Orchard making some broth while Bastien is playing the pipe, Dune is cultivating the garden and Liesje is reading a book. One big happy family. Oh yeah, Hussar is there too, lollygagging and whatnot.

I just finished the main story on NG+, with the "Nilfgard won / Witcheress" epilogue. Right now, Rhosyn is in White Orchard making some broth while Bastien is playing the pipe, Dune is cultivating the garden and Liesje is reading a book. One big happy family. Oh yeah, Hussar is there too, lollygagging and whatnot.

Where did you find them? I have Nilfgaard + Witcheress ending, and I went to Ransacked Village where I found the quest giver in the prolouge but only peasant NPCs are there.

Where did you find them? I have Nilfgaard + Witcheress ending, and I went to Ransacked Village where I found the quest giver in the prolouge but only peasant NPCs are there.

If you are standing in front of the inn in WO, go straight to east across the bridges. It's the first farm on the left.

Last edited:
If you are standing in front of the inn in WO, go straight to east across the bridges. It's the first farm on the left.

Great help thanks! Although, as a deserter, that's a stupid idea. There is a platoon of Nilfgaardians just few steps to the east. LOL

Great help thanks! Although, as a deserter, that's a stupid idea. There is a platoon of Nilfgaardians just few steps to the east. LOL
Well, you can't expect the Dune/Liesje/Bastien family to move to another farm, only because they now have a deserter as guest.

Besides, from the reports of the guys who checked it out in Witcheress/Nilfgaard epilogue, it looks like the Nilfs never found out about Rhosyn. :)

Top Bottom