RIP CPU upon meditation(Voltage related)

+
RIP CPU upon meditation(Voltage related)

Just a general warning. CPU voltage during meditation spikes as if avx instructions kick in. Overvolting mine to 1.352v from 1.312vThis is not a nice place to be, voltage wise.. Specially on air. It only happens for half a second or so. But non the less, this should not be happening.Just wanted to let the devs know. Anyone pushing a high OC will suffer from this bug.

---------- Updated at 12:50 AM ----------

Testing more, it's not half a second. It's as long as the menu is open.

---------- Updated at 01:05 AM ----------

Some more testing with a monitor program active with osd.It's any menu that has Geralt. The Inventory menu and the meditation menu. All the others that don't have Geralt in them are not effected, but still show +90% cpu usage. That much for a simple menu is high considering in game is only 20-50% with low voltage levels thanks to adaptive.

This caution is worth remembering. But the game is userland; it doesn't have anything to do with your CPU voltage.

The CPU usage in what should be an idle mode has been noted and passed along.

But any overclock that allows your CPU to enter a state where it is overvoltage is not sustainable and no fault of any software vendor.

Last edited:
If you're overvolting your CPU to a point where it can damage it under high load you should probably turn it back a bit. Especially since you don't even need OC for this game.

If you've got a recent i5 / i7 then 1.35V is no big problem, though your cooling should be adequate. My i5 2500K at 4.0 GHz goes from 1.232V to 1.240V while meditating. But I also get 1.240V in other loading screens.

What I am saying is the game is invoking higher voltage. What you would see with avx instructions(Like stress testing with prime or lime).It's just weird that the menu is requesting this amount of voltage. Or why it's requesting avx level voltages in the first place. I just wanted to get this out here before someone pushing 1.4v kills their CPU from a unexpected increase of volts from a game.My settings are set to 1.312v on adaptive. That is for 100% load 24/7 stability. 1.352v wont blow my CPU to high heaven, even temps will stay around 60C. But I wanted to get this out there.

---------- Updated at 04:12 AM ----------

So some more testing. On my horse, no issues with voltage. Of my horse, it starts small. 1.328v, but as I play this will increase. But again, only if I am of my horse.

---------- Updated at 04:15 AM ----------

There I figured it out, it's a cause of setting unlimited frame rate. Set it to 60fps the problem gone. So for what ever reason, the menu set to unlimited fps will cause an issue with voltage while of the horse in menus

they differ, from 1.1x to 1.5 volts... (edit, just noticed you posted cpu) My i5 2500K at 4.0 ... :\ what's that like 10% overclock almost?... so there you have it... your 10% voltage increase.

also, the m/b, bios and ps/u won't limit the voltage supplied to your cpu. it's controlled to a degree by cpuid and bios, but if you overclock, and it needs more voltage supplied based on that work load, it will draw more voltage. it's really as simple as that...

unless you're prepared to deal with failed motherboards, ram, and entire systems (except the cpu, that's always the last thing to go). then overclocking is not recommended, unless you also have good cooling. but's it's usually not even the heat that kills it... it's the tolerances of components on your motherboard/ram/power supply... CPUs can usually tolerate parameters outside of their specs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom