RIP Monster faction.

+
Imagine if Ice Giant was something like 5/6 - if Frost is present on the board, boost self by 1.
And + 1 armor beside the boost? :) That'd be cool.
I agree with you except for Vran warrior, I was quite happy with him in my deck (though I haven't even played MO since this last patch). Also the Wild Hunt Hound is okay too though I haven't used it much.

Last edited:
The problem with MO, is it survived the last two seasons doing well based on very specific cards and decks, so like Ethereal and like Kiki and like Caranthir. Those are now nerfed or gone (perhaps rightly so) but what's left is a bit of big hole and largely this is due to the huge selection of rubbish or powercrept bronzes. With the exception of Endrega Larvae, Aen Elle Conq, and Bruxa, most are pretty poor by today's standards:

Ice Giant - 7 for 6. This is just so bad compared to Frigate, Fallen Knight and Greatswords.
Barbegazi - 6 for 6 consume.. Just no.
Most of the Bronze Deathwish units are bad (Archespore, Ancient Foglet, Rotfiend, Bridge Troll), as they require a complete supporting cast of consumers to make work and consequently take too long to proc unless you take the risk with Weavess: Incantation
Celaeno Harpy - clearly outdated by Barghest
Cyclops and Vran - hmm nope.
Wild Hunt Hound - hmm, maybe if it started at 4.
Ice Troll - nice idea, but it's totally pot luck relying on what your opponent does.

Not a bronze, but Mountart... ewww.

Imagine if Ice Giant was something like 5/6 - if Frost is present on the board, boost self by 1.
totally agree. I already made suggestions concerning some of those, mostly just provision buffs like harpy and barbegazi but I like your ice giant idea. power 6: boost by 1 for each enemy row with frost.
I also really scratched my head when they made foglet 4 power but didnt buff ancient foglet to at least 6 points on deathwish?
wild hunt hound is underrated though, I use it as a one-off in my wild hunt deck and if I draw it round 1 I put crystal skull or a leader charge on it and it can become pretty scary when you keep dominance, which hound usually ensures on his own. it's basically my phantom replacement if I dont draw it

totally agree. I already made suggestions concerning some of those, mostly just provision buffs like harpy and barbegazi but I like your ice giant idea. power 6: boost by 1 for each enemy row with frost.
I also really scratched my head when they made foglet 4 power but didnt buff ancient foglet to at least 6 points on deathwish?
wild hunt hound is underrated though, I use it as a one-off in my wild hunt deck and if I draw it round 1 I put crystal skull or a leader charge on it and it can become pretty scary when you keep dominance, which hound usually ensures on his own. it's basically my phantom replacement if I dont draw it

Thing is, most of them have already cool effects, they need a tweak here or there. Below are some minor suggestions I posted over at reddit:

Ice Giant
was something like 5 power - if Frost is present on the board, boost self by 1.

Vran was - whenever a unit is destroyed on your turn, or when an opponent destroys one of your units, boost self by 1. Alternatively, could simply make it 4 prov

Wild Hunt Hound was 4 prov.

Celaeno Harpy was - Deploy: Consume two units (i.e. helps with tempo to proc all the DW you may have lying about, but then can backfire if you only have 1 and there are cards you don't want consumed).

Ice Troll was if you control the same or fewer. This would open it up a bit. Could make it start at 4 if this was too strong.

Cyclops was 5 power or 4 prov

Maerolorn was 4 Prov

Archespore was deal 3 damage on DW

Werewolf was 3 power but boost self by 1 whenever you play a beast.

Still fun to play though. Granted if I team up against someone with shield wall I just pass since it’s not really worth my time but... if you get paired up against another monster faction, it’s not bad lol 😁

Still fun to play though. Granted if I team up against someone with shield wall I just pass since it’s not really worth my time but... if you get paired up against another monster faction, it’s not bad lol 😁

- I agree with you that there's still fun to be had when playing with or against MOs but the issue remains,
MOs are not that powerful competitively atm as other factions are.

- As for the forfeit subject, i'm not sure if you're playing just ranked or casual mode but there are some MO decks that can beat some variations of ShieldWall decks.
It's not a given that you will lose every time you go against em, so try fighting them ! ;)

Does anybody else has problems with weather in 7.2?
I had quite a strong weather / wild hunt deck (going straight from rank 7 to 2) with Death Shadwo using the werecat as a finisher. (normally >20 pts)
Now death shadow is gone and I lose >80% of the games. (And yes I guess I know what Im doing, playing this game for a while - > 3 years - now, but prefer to build "whacky" decks like Ciri Nova [before MM], Ihuarraquax, Mourntart, traps, elves etc.)
Why? I think it is simply bad faction design. You create something like weather and devotion and end up with an opponent's board crammed with low enemy units in one row - works as designed. And than you can't do anything about it. Lacerate, Surrender would be the natural choice , but without devotion the deck is even more "meh"... The werecat does not really help with 1 pt of damage. ST has crushing trap or Toruviel and so on... But monster...?
Does anybody have an idea? I am so desperate I now include even forktail.
@CDPR: Please include one relevant MO-row-damage card.

[...]
The werecat does not really help with 1 pt of damage. ST has crushing trap or Toruviel and so on... But monster...?
You can still use an Overwhelming Hunger charge + Werecat for a 5p body + lacerate and use the other 2 charges for strong standalone Deathwish units like Detlaff, Miruna, Manticore etc.
From my point of view the Hunger package is actually quite good.

Anyone tried out new Force + Kiki package? It supposedly works pretty well. Instead of Death's Shadow you use the leader for another Kikimore Queen thrive proc.

Does anybody else has problems with weather in 7.2?
I had quite a strong weather / wild hunt deck (going straight from rank 7 to 2) with Death Shadwo using the werecat as a finisher. (normally >20 pts)
Now death shadow is gone and I lose >80% of the games. (And yes I guess I know what Im doing, playing this game for a while - > 3 years - now, but prefer to build "whacky" decks like Ciri Nova [before MM], Ihuarraquax, Mourntart, traps, elves etc.)
Why? I think it is simply bad faction design. You create something like weather and devotion and end up with an opponent's board crammed with low enemy units in one row - works as designed. And than you can't do anything about it. Lacerate, Surrender would be the natural choice , but without devotion the deck is even more "meh"... The werecat does not really help with 1 pt of damage. ST has crushing trap or Toruviel and so on... But monster...?

- Indeed my friend, ever since patch 7.2 dropped most of MOs competitiveness went down the drain with the loss of the former Leader Abilities.

- Imo CDPR has to buff somehow the MO faction, be it through the addition of new cards or the reimagining of the already existing ones, especially the bronze ones.

- MO OH still works but there are only a few cards that make sense playing and if you're running a devotion deck it might come up short on control and points in some scenarios.

Anyone tried out new Force + Kiki package? It supposedly works pretty well. Instead of Death's Shadow you use the leader for another Kikimore Queen thrive proc.

- I've made a MO FoN non devotion deck built around the Kiki Queen and you can reach really really high, problem is that you can easily lose the first queen you put down (Caranthir-Kiki).
In one match though I managed to make it up to 175 points...insane value !

Last edited:
You can still use an Overwhelming Hunger charge + Werecat for a 5p body + lacerate and use the other 2 charges for strong standalone Deathwish units like Detlaff, Miruna, Manticore etc.
From my point of view the Hunger package is actually quite good.
Of course, you're right - did'nt think of that. Thank you! I'm still not sure if I want to trade the two additional weather charges + movement for that - but it might be worth a try...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Of course, you're right - did'nt think of that. Thank you! I'm still not sure if I want to trade the two additional weather charges + movement for that - but it might be worth a try...

Overwhelming Hunger is very likely to be the strongest MO ability - and personally, i would argue that was true even before, when Death's Shadow was still in the game.

Werecat is the perfect card to row punish after rowstacking in response to frost, since most of those rely on devotion and cant use Lacerate or dragon's dream.

Also, white frost decks are one of the easiest decks to beat for me lately, a lot of those players tend to waste frost turns, i reach last turn on R3 and there's still like 2-4 turns of frost on each row which means they could've used those provisions on something else.

I agree movement is important, specially to counter NR Shieldwall, since Vysogotta and Seltkirk are rowlocked, so keep those WH units that move, also use the one that purifies for NR defender, and if you really want to tech vs shieldwall, tesham mutna sword for Anseis/Anna Strenger.

Overwhelming Hunger is very likely to be the strongest MO ability - and personally, i would argue that was true even before, when Death's Shadow was still in the game.

Werecat is the perfect card to row punish after rowstacking in response to frost, since most of those rely on devotion and cant use Lacerate or dragon's dream.

Also, white frost decks are one of the easiest decks to beat for me lately, a lot of those players tend to waste frost turns, i reach last turn on R3 and there's still like 2-4 turns of frost on each row which means they could've used those provisions on something else.

I agree movement is important, specially to counter NR Shieldwall, since Vysogotta and Seltkirk are rowlocked, so keep those WH units that move, also use the one that purifies for NR defender, and if you really want to tech vs shieldwall, tesham mutna sword for Anseis/Anna Strenger.

I don't agree with OH being the strongest but even if it was that wasn't saying much. It would've only been that way after they nerfed death shadow (pre MM nerf).

Werecat is pretty mediocre for the same reason frost is. There's an over abundance of armor and shields in the meta now. The card was good maybe two expansions ago

Those are good answers for NR but just how many of those do you have? Vysogotta and Seltkirk aren't the only issue. The frigate goes out of control if it isn't stopped and their echo makes it almost impossible to remove. Then there's Adalia creating a drummer with a shield. Odds are you've used Tesham Mutna before R3 assuming you draw it. And if you get matched with another faction it loses value.

Then there's the matching algorithm. I built a counter deck specifically for NR, including some of the above counters and got matched with other factions that kicked my arse and very little NR if at all. Then the moment I switched to my original deck it was Shield wall all over again.

I don't agree with OH being the strongest but even if it was that wasn't saying much. It would've only been that way after they nerfed death shadow (pre MM nerf).

Werecat is pretty mediocre for the same reason frost is. There's an over abundance of armor and shields in the meta now. The card was good maybe two expansions ago

Those are good answers for NR but just how many of those do you have? Vysogotta and Seltkirk aren't the only issue. The frigate goes out of control if it isn't stopped and their echo makes it almost impossible to remove. Then there's Adalia creating a drummer with a shield. Odds are you've used Tesham Mutna before R3 assuming you draw it. And if you get matched with another faction it loses value.

Then there's the matching algorithm. I built a counter deck specifically for NR, including some of the above counters and got matched with other factions that kicked my arse and very little NR if at all. Then the moment I switched to my original deck it was Shield wall all over again.
Yes, i think there is something wrong with the algorithm.

Everytime i has korathi or other card to destroy cenarios i dont battle against them. So if i decide to remove those cards or to use another deck... BOOM...double ball, right in my face. And its not only 1 game, its like 2 or 3 games in sequence.

The same happens with me. If i playing with others decks, almost never see korathi. If i try double ball, BOOM, korathi in my face.

Should be a logical behind this.

Also, trying a new deck SC decks using Skags. I needed like 10 matches or more (i think more, when i started to count i have already played a lot before) to skaggs goes to my hand.

CDPR are you fucking serious? Starting with 10 cards (12 or 13 if i count the mulligan) in a deck of 25 cards and i needed 10 games (or moe) to take one specific card? I think if i play in lottery i will have more luck than that

I can attest to that, most of the matches i play against when i'm using my MO decks are against MOs...weird, i've been playing SY CO this past week and my enemy pool seemed more varied.
I whipped a lot of ShieldWall infidels
into submission ! :coolstory:

"By denying penance YOU CONFIRM your GUILT !!!"
:eek::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran

True, the shields and armor in the meta make frost way less viable, that's why i didnt even try it since its been released, and i wouldnt recommend it. What i did was give advice to those who do want to run frost decks anyway.

Going against Shieldwall is always tough if you're using a damage deck or engine deck - you cant destroy their engines and you cant get yours to survive thanks to the duel units.

BTW never waste a Tesham Mutna on just a shielded drummer - you need to save it for defender, or ideally, you purify/remove defender then use Tesham Mutna on Anseis, to stop the Viraxas powerplay.

I could go on about advice when going against shieldwall but that would be going even more offtopic here.

Last edited:
Monsters desperately need tall removal. At the moment, it is the only faction that does not have access to it outside of an expensive 18 prov combo with imlerith:

- NG: many removal
- SY: poisons, bounties, tavern brawl.
-SK:Mork,champions charge.
-ST: poisons.
-NR: Baron, shieldwall duels to a certain extent.

And all these options are budgeted at 10ish provisions or less.

If Imlerith wasnt such a horrendous card, maybe it wouldnt be so bad, but even then, the combo is way overcosted by any comparison.

Monsters desperately need tall removal. At the moment, it is the only faction that does not have access to it outside of an expensive 18 prov combo with imlerith:

- NG: many removal
- SY: poisons, bounties, tavern brawl.
-SK:Mork,champions charge.
-ST: poisons.
-NR: Baron, shieldwall duels to a certain extent.

And all these options are budgeted at 10ish provisions or less.

If Imlerith wasnt such a horrendous card, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but even then, the combo is way over costed by any comparison.
rip monsters. rip gwent.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Top Bottom