RIP Monster Weather Deck

+
RIP Monster Weather Deck

As per the live stream devs nerfed weather to the ground. For example Biting Frost will reduce strength by 1 every turn instead of bringing directly to 1 strength.

Weather focused deck is already hard to play in high MMR but instead of fixing it devs completely deleted it.

Last edited:
Maybe, but you also don't have to play it on your own row, allowing for more unit variety on your side.

IMO weather based decks will be actually stronger. With exception of aeromancy last play (which isnt even a weather deck exclusive play), weather is quite weak as it is now because of the abundance of first light in the game.

The new weather mechanics works like an yen:con for a singe row. Do you think a bronze version of yen:con is weak? It will only be weak if first light removes the wounding done by the weather for every turn, otherwise exclusive weather decks may actually be viable on the next meta.

Thats because even if your opponent uses first light right after you used your biting frost, the damage applied on the first turn will already compensate for the use of the card.

I believe the weather is not tied to rows anymore so you can play (Ex: Frost) on any row now. Plus each weather does a different kind of damage. Maybe there are new cards that synergize with weather. (Ex: boost the damage like it was hinted in the stream). Or old cards like "Clan Tuirseach Axeman" if not changed.

Last edited:
Laveley;n8546870 said:
IMO weather based decks will be actually stronger. With exception of aeromancy last play (which isnt even a weather deck exclusive play), weather is quite weak as it is now because of the abundance of first light in the game.

The new weather mechanics works like an yen:con for a singe row. Do you think a bronze version of yen:con is weak? It will only be weak if first light removes the wounding done by the weather for every turn, otherwise exclusive weather decks may actually be viable on the next meta.

Thats because even if your opponent uses first light right after you used your biting frost, the damage applied on the first turn will already compensate for the use of the card.

Really? Because I play 2 dual weather silver cards plus aeromancy, + 2 rains plus + water hag and both weather gold cards along with avalack for card advantage. I have yet to lose against high MMR players if I get a good mulligan. Why? Because I don't copy decks of twitch streamers. I actually understand the game instead of copying decks on gwent db all the time hoping for the best.

You know what happens when someone uses all their first lights and the cards to retrieve first lights against me? They still lose.

The devs want to punish innovative deck creators by messing up weather when it's fine as is. They have taken on a "no child left behind" policy because the don't want noobs getting discouraged and not spend money on kegs. Just another dev in it for the money instead of rewarding those who spent their hard earned money on witcher 3.

It is really too soon to speculate if weather deck will be better or worse. But overall this is great and necessary change to weather. It prevents too swingy plays like last card Aeromancy. On the other hand opponent can't wait his First Light until you play more weather and you always get some value from weather even when opponent remove it immediately. All weather cards are now much more flexible and could be played to any row and they now effect only opponent. There will be also for sure more card that synergy with weather like new Nithral that doubles damage dealt by Frost. Also new Rag Nar Roog seems super strong, but hopefully they will nerf it little. I hope it will be lead to much more interesting game patterns, than current who play last his First Light / Aeromancy wins.

Isi23_23;n8547830 said:
It is really too soon to speculate if weather deck will be better or worse. But overall this is great and necessary change to weather. It prevents too swingy plays like last card Aeromancy. On the other hand opponent can't wait his First Light until you play more weather and you always get some value from weather even when opponent remove it immediately. All weather cards are now much more flexible and could be played to any row and they now effect only opponent. There will be also for sure more card that synergy with weather like new Nithral that doubles damage dealt by Frost. Also new Rag Nar Roog seems super strong, but hopefully they will nerf it little. I hope it will be lead to much more interesting game patterns, than current who play last his First Light / Aeromancy wins.

Hows it any different than me getting card adv through proper play and using grave hag as the last card to win? It's part of the game.

God_of_Eredin;n8547850 said:
Hows it any different than me getting card adv through proper play and using grave hag as the last card to win? It's part of the game.

Because cards like Grave Hag, Lugos etc have conditions to their power. Even a D-Bomb / Igni swing can be played around to a extent. Last card weather cant. Weather being a flat reduce to 1 effect was horrible design wise and im really glad CDPR have seen the (first) light and changed it to a place where its playable, but not a ridiculous swing in 1 go.

God_of_Eredin;n8547850 said:

Problem is that getting card advantage by proper play is much harder when you "win" coin flip and play first, so any change that take power from initial coin flip is good in my book. They also completely changed Lugos and Grave Hag have 2 turn counter, so you really need bigger card advantage to play her without chance for your opponent to respond.

God_of_Eredin;n8547820 said:
Really? Because I play 2 dual weather silver cards plus aeromancy, + 2 rains plus + water hag and both weather gold cards along with avalack for card advantage. I have yet to lose against high MMR players if I get a good mulligan. Why? Because I don't copy decks of twitch streamers. I actually understand the game instead of copying decks on gwent db all the time hoping for the best. You know what happens when someone uses all their first lights and the cards to retrieve first lights against me? They still lose. The devs want to punish innovative deck creators by messing up weather when it's fine as is. They have taken on a "no child left behind" policy because the don't want noobs getting discouraged and not spend money on kegs. Just another dev in it for the money instead of rewarding those who spent their hard earned money on witcher 3.

Well, i'm yet to see a weather deck above 4k. But if you claim to be that good with one on "high elo" than, props for you, it doesnt change the fact that other mortal people cant do as good with weather decks.

1st of all there is monster weather deck only because previously weather is way too strong & actually it's imbalance so saying dev. killed monster weather deck is not a proper way imo.

With new patch I think weather is going to work proper way as well it's going to add more skillful play with more n more deck strategies but still we need to test it first :)

TH3WITCH3R;n8556970 said:
1st of all there is monster weather deck only because previously weather is way too strong & actually it's imbalance so saying dev. killed monster weather deck is not a proper way imo.

With new patch I think weather is going to work proper way as well it's going to add more skillful play with more n more deck strategies but still we need to test it first :)

Dunno what you're talking about. Above 3000 mmr there's like 10 consume decks for every weather deck. Weather is far from being too strong. In fact it's probably the hardest deck to play at mid or above mmr that is dominated by ST and NR decks.

kaalev;n8557170 said:
Dunno what you're talking about. Above 3000 mmr there's like 10 consume decks for every weather deck. Weather is far from being too strong. In fact it's probably the hardest deck to play at mid or above mmr that is dominated by ST and NR decks.

Dude it's not always about strong or weak but it's about balance. Changing strength from very high to very low with just one weather cards is not a good thing to have in terms of balance imo.
And if you seriously things weather is weak then go use monster consume or the factions you mentioned above as a strong simple as it is.

Another main thing is we need to wait till new patch will come as there are so many big changes in new patch so we have to check everything & how it's working that's what I am saying.

If they want to change weather, they DEFINITELY need to revert the clear skies giving buffs back and perhaps go as far as changing rally.

I might actually give weather deck a try now. It was pretty much a cheap spam deck before, but now it looks like you'll actually have to be a bit strategic. Could be fun.

supafreaky;n8564860 said:
I might actually give weather deck a try now. It was pretty much a cheap spam deck before, but now it looks like you'll actually have to be a bit strategic. Could be fun.

A cheap spam deck? For every 1 weather monster deck you see there are 10 consume decks. And there are just as many ST and NR decks as there are consume decks. That's how 'powerful' weather is, starting at like rank 7. I'm currently rank 13 so it's even more apparent.

Zjiin;n8548000 said:
Because cards like Grave Hag, Lugos etc have conditions to their power. Even a D-Bomb / Igni swing can be played around to a extent. Last card weather cant. Weather being a flat reduce to 1 effect was horrible design wise and im really glad CDPR have seen the (first) light and changed it to a place where its playable, but not a ridiculous swing in 1 go.

On the test streams Grave Hag still only has 1 counter.

TH3WITCH3R;n8557230 said:
Dude it's not always about strong or weak but it's about balance. Changing strength from very high to very low with just one weather cards is not a good thing to have in terms of balance imo.
And if you seriously things weather is weak then go use monster consume or the factions you mentioned above as a strong simple as it is.

Another main thing is we need to wait till new patch will come as there are so many big changes in new patch so we have to check everything & how it's working that's what I am saying.

95% of every deck in Gwent is about getting card advantage in order to play your big swing card last in round 3 in order to win.

I play a weather deck and till now still struggling to pass rank 13! in high ranks most of the decks are henselt and scoiatel ambush which are made purely to counter weather decks.
I think the only reason they werent happy with weather is that it was OP in early ranks where people still dont have all the proper cards to counter it.

In the last tournament , only 1 player had a hybrid monsters weather deck ( not a pure one cause he wont stand a chance) and he didint make it to the semis.

Top Bottom