RNG "fun" games

+
RNG "fun" games

Yet another RNG rant thread.

I just had a game against a SC player running Isengrim Outlaw. You might be aware of the fact that Scoia have quite some powerful silver cards in this iteration of Gwent. Isengrim "creating" a duplicate of said card is not that fun. Having Uma create a second Isengrim Outlaw to create a third silver 20+ card is even less fun.
At that point I was already feeling salty but with card-advantage I thought nothing could go wrong, as I was holding a big removal in my hand. Alas! The guy played Aguara:True Form into Last Wish into Shupe to gain back the card-advantage.

Bottom line I decided to create this thread to share my sad story.

I also understood that all good steps that the Developer are taking to have a nice balanced game, adding back full card name, improving faction challenges, eventually allowing quest-swap, will not solve my main issue with the game: the create mechanic.

I am of a similar mindset. I kinda wish they would just get rid of the Create mechanic and come up with something else. Adding RNG to anything only increases frustration, not fun.

Is it fun to rely purely on a highroll to win a game? No. Is it fun to go from a 100% locked-in win to a loss because your opponent highrolls an answer, or a second answer, that he couldn't possibly have had in his deck? No.

The only thing I can think of would be to limit the pool of create cards so that there is more consistency. If something is consistent, it can be planned for and played around. In the cases of the Runestones or Uma's Curse it's just impossible to play around say, a guy who is running a deck without a native Scorch effect but then happens to highroll Schirru or something and proceeds to wreck you.

An example that happened to me yesterday, was playing against an armour Radovid who had already burned his leader card. Got to final round. I dropped Iris on the board. He had no way to answer it (being familiar with his deck I knew he had burned all of his answers already) and the point swing coupled with my remaining cards would easily secure me the win. He plays his Runestone. Highrolls Pavetta. Iris gone from the board.
I still won, incidentally, because immediately after that I played Adda and got a second Iris from her.

I wasn't rejoicing at how it all turned out, I was just disappointed that we'd both been the victims of RNG.

You can't fight luck with skill.

Last edited:
RNG/create etc are one of my main problems with Gwent right now, especially in ranked.

To me, when oppo plays Uma/Shupe/Create card etc, it's like the game as a 3rd person is deciding who's going to win rather than either player based on the way they build their deck and so on. It depresses the shit out of me when you're a good amount of points ahead and have accounted for Ciri:Forfeit (another annoiyng card if ever there was one) and down to last card and they high roll into scorch/Coral/something else that just obliterates your game when they couldn't have done so without that card... like getting Coral when you're playing as NG - I mean, WTF??

I'm aware that this doesn't happen 'all the time', but when it does it feels 100x worse than if you've been beaten by someone who actually played a better game and didn't have to rely on RNG to win for them.

This is also completely aside from the card draw and mulligan RNG that can sometimes determine outcome of the game before a single card has been played - does blacklisting even work? I've "blacklisted" cards only to get them back in each/every draw...???

Last edited by a moderator:
alexandr22;n10393842 said:
I think create mechanic is ok. It let s you to take a different approach. But not in ranked mode . Ranked mode must be skill based
Create, in its current form is not ok. The devs stated that these cards shouldn't affect the competitive play. Oh, well...

alexandr22;n10393842 said:
I think create mechanic is ok. It let s you to take a different approach. But not in ranked mode . Ranked mode must be skill based

Ninj'ed.

The game you describe looks interesting and fun in its on way, provided both players agree to play in that RNG environment.

That's why the only thing the Create mechanic needs to be fixed is to be banned from Ranked games, where only skills should determine the winner.

The funny thing is that, iirc, they said that create cards are meant for draft mode. So.... They've released rng cards but....no RNG mode. FeelsAwesome.:facepalm:

Those create cards should just be banned from ranked play. Not fun at all, I enjoyed Gwent much more when everything was about engines and locks.

After 3 weeks of playing Gwent I uninstalled the game.

Pros: Gorgeous Artwork and Animations

Cons: EVERYTHING else.

Like all CCGs you want to study IN DEPTH which are the most OP in order not gimp yourself on the power creep when drafting cards from packs. Then its off to the races dusting/milling all your cards to make the most OP deck of the meta. Then you use this most OP of the OP to farm your coin/iron to build your library. Yo do this cause the grind and power creep of every CCG or F2P is IMMENSELY boring.

Yes boring. The design is intentional so people buy packs to get past this. Also winning is a lot more fun than losing.

So I played for a first 2 weeks, and its even in the first week, heh few days even - see the typical CCG card mechanics and design. But its early wand I 2 okay decks to play. Then most of my opponents became the super spy decks. Okay this is getting old super fast. And now its just the OP of the OP from every faction AND 75% of opponents being the Super spy faction. So for a week I have been tossing all in on the first round to overplay so they concede and I get the tally for a round win. Concede next 2 to them to get in 10 matches played in half hour. Okay now I can get 2 packs. DId I get the most OP!?!?!?! No. Back to farming. Okay done this in too many MMO or multiplayer games in 15 years. Uninstall.

I pretty much agree with most of the sentiments in this thread.

I have faith, though. Sure, the new patch is aimed at reinserting the much needed lore flavour (card names) back into the game and balancing some of the most obnoxious of cards introduced in the Midwinter Patch.

I'm sure if we keep this issue regarding the "Create" mechanic visible, then CDPR will take the feedback on board and alter course as necessary.

I mean GWENT is still a great game, it just needs some course correction, i.e. after this patch, take a good long look at "Create" as a mechanic.

First of all, a Shupe deck is suppose to be weird. More often than not, the RNG will backfire. Then, when all the stars are aligned right, you can get an awesome RNG combo. If this was really a thing, then everyone would be using it. However, in the current meta, very few RNG cards are being used outside of meme decks. Some competitive decks do have one or two (of the better) RNG cards to either get an extra copy of something or to be more flexible in certain situations. Still, having but a few RNG cards doesn't make it a RNG deck.

Next, in my opinion, Shupe decks are generally more fun to play against because they are unpredictable and it's refreshing to see not yet another Dwarfs or Spies deck.

HenryGrosmont;n10394292 said:
The devs stated that these cards shouldn't affect the competitive play. Oh, well...

No, they have said that the RNG cards are meant for the upcoming arena mode. They were never specifically not meant to be competitive, besides the RNG leaders, maybe.

4RM3D;n10395502 said:
No, they have said that the RNG cards are meant for the upcoming arena mode. They were never specifically not meant to be competitive, besides the RNG leaders, maybe.
Actually, yes. After many "create" card reveals, people were asking what's going on? And several times, the answer was "it's for the upcoming mode, shouldn't affect competitive play". And that's why people went nuts when it became obvious that it sin't the case.

Two Morana Runestones - two Cierans to lock my Siege Supports, than a Horn for Yarpen, cause I lost the CF and the carryover was all that the oppo needed to lose me the game.

Just skills through the roof.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of us have experience some filthy RNG. I'm not against it but I would be lying if I didn't agree that it is really annoying at times. I personally don't want it gone but that's just me. They could at least reduce the parameters for create cards so that they're more consistent.

HenryGrosmont;n10396222 said:
"it's for the upcoming mode, shouldn't affect competitive play"

Affect competitive play... just because you can use some cards in ranked that are on occasion successful doesn't mean it affects competitive play.

Do the top 5 decks use RNG cards? No.
Is there a reliant combo that can be "exploited" using RNG cards? No.
Do RNG cards have any meaningful impact on the current meta? No.

Do players get bored and play a Shupe deck to have some fun and occasionally win? Yes

RNG cards add more variation to the game. I actually want some of them to be(come) competitively viable. Don't get me wrong, I don't want full RNG decks to become tier 1, but as a tier 3 fun deck, there is nothing wrong with it.

4RM3D;n10396502 said:
Do the top 5 decks use RNG cards?
Yes. Elven Scout and Slave Driver are prevalent.
4RM3D;n10396502 said:
Is there a reliant combo that can be "exploited" using RNG cards?
That is the whole point. People end up being highrolled by a unit their opponent wouldn't have ever put in his deck or have those in his faction.
4RM3D;n10396502 said:
Do RNG cards have any meaningful impact on the current meta?
See answer one. There's a reason that some rng cards are used more than the others, i.e. smaller pool, etc.
4RM3D;n10396502 said:
Do players get bored and play a Shupe deck to have some fun and occasionally win?
The fact that people successfully played Shupe deck above rank 20 speaks for itself. Also, Shupe isn't an offender, it's the bronzes. Specifically, Slave Driver and Elven Scout.
4RM3D;n10396502 said:
RNG cards add more variation to the game. I actually want some of them to be(come) competitively viable. Don't get me wrong, I don't want full RNG decks to become tier 1, but as a tier 3 fun deck, there is nothing wrong with it.
RNG cards should add more variation but not more variance to the game.

HenryGrosmont;n10397102 said:
Yes. Elven Scout and Slave Driver are prevalent.

Ah yes, I forgot about those. I was thinking more of the epic tier and higher. There is also Wrench, but Henselt isn't seen enough for players to complain about that.

Ironically, Elven Scout and Slave Driver both have reasons they are good outside of the RNG. Many RNG cards are not tied to an archetype making it easier to use them to fill up a few slots. The RNG makes them somewhat more flexible, but the true strength of those two is really just the extra two point body. So, it's not the RNG part that is "broken" in this equation.

Dwarfs are strong and popular with a few bronze slots to spare, making Elven Scout an ideal target. Slave Driver is in the same boat. It's not that the card is too overwhelming, but rather that certain NG archetypes lack enough synergetic bronze cards. So, those slots are being filled with Slave Driver. The card can be annoying, but can also backfire just as easily. It's mostly the combo chains that are troublesome, but that depends on the opponent's deck. Regardless, while it's seen on the ladder, it still doesn't make the top 5.

In the end, the RNG cards do not shape the meta. They are just being used to fill the last few slots because of their flexibility.

HenryGrosmont;n10397102 said:
[SNIP] Slave Driver are prevalent [/SNIP]

These things are insane and not good card design; a "create" card that can take a look at the cards in your deck (which gives away your strategy and partial deck composition) and make a copy of one of those cards puts the NG player at an immediate advantage - and you might not have even played a card yet if they go first.

Slave Drivers should really just get a choice of cards from the faction they're up against - which may/may not contain cards in their oppo's deck, but they'll never know either way until the game is over. Bumping them down to 1pt won't make any essential difference to 'balance' imho; it's their utility that needs to be changed.

Top Bottom