RNG ruins the game.

+
No seriously does anyone at cdpr play Gwent? And dont give me the uhh we do play a couple of games every now and then excuse, id like to know if anyone actually plays gwent consistently. its clear all the lead devs dont know anything about Gwent, they really show it in the dev streams, especially when they are looking at some match, commenting.

Gwent has a LOT of problems and issues which the devs would defintely would notice and do something about if they where playing the game. Whoever designs the cards and what they do obviously doesn't play gwent ether because more and more rng gets added to the game. some rng cards are fine but only when you can control the rng like with artorius or telekenisis. cards that have 100% unpredictable rng like the so called "meme" cards musicians of blaviken and umas curse are so badly designed, they should not eaven exist! a waste of good art is what it is. And dont eaven get me started on angouleme and the change they made to summoning circle anyone who plays gwent would never have greenlighted such things.

And where has all the creativity gone? back in the beta gwent had a lot of this, like for example beta bloodmoon. remember how bloodmoon worked in the beta? no of course you dont because every creative dev who worked during the beta probably quit due to crunching or some other thing.

cdpr please pull your management together, please stop making gwent more and more boring and generic, and please for the love of god play your own damn game!
Post automatically merged:

Oh and mods? I suggest you email this post to all the devs.

I have to agree with this. I played around 6 matches tonight over about an hour or less and was bored to death by the end. I won a couple, but there was just no desire to keep playing. You just play against the same stuff time and time again, the games don't vary and are still purely decided by the deal/order of cards. Unless you run a meta, or are somehow a full time gamer, you're just going to lose the majority of the time. I think CDPR know this - hence why you can't drop ranks. But somehow a lot of the joy is sucked from the game and it doesn't take a lot of playtime to realise it.

Odd.

I have to agree with this. I played around 6 matches tonight over about an hour or less and was bored to death by the end. I won a couple, but there was just no desire to keep playing. You just play against the same stuff time and time again, the games don't vary and are still purely decided by the deal/order of cards. Unless you run a meta, or are somehow a full time gamer, you're just going to lose the majority of the time. I think CDPR know this - hence why you can't drop ranks. But somehow a lot of the joy is sucked from the game and it doesn't take a lot of playtime to realise it.

Odd.
I don’t have much time to play. I usually make it to R7-6 and then switch to Arena (more variety, surprise, new combos, fun)

I just wish CDPR:

1/ Switched back to selecting leaders at the end
2/ Banned defenders from Arena
3/ Removed SY from Arena (coins are no good for this format)

Arena pick no. 1: SY defender

No seriously does anyone at cdpr play Gwent? And dont give me the uhh we do play a couple of games every now and then excuse, id like to know if anyone actually plays gwent consistently. its clear all the lead devs dont know anything about Gwent, they really show it in the dev streams, especially when they are looking at some match, commenting.

Gwent has a LOT of problems and issues which the devs would defintely would notice and do something about if they where playing the game. Whoever designs the cards and what they do obviously doesn't play gwent ether because more and more rng gets added to the game. some rng cards are fine but only when you can control the rng like with artorius or telekenisis. cards that have 100% unpredictable rng like the so called "meme" cards musicians of blaviken and umas curse are so badly designed, they should not eaven exist! a waste of good art is what it is. And dont eaven get me started on angouleme and the change they made to summoning circle anyone who plays gwent would never have greenlighted such things.

And where has all the creativity gone? back in the beta gwent had a lot of this, like for example beta bloodmoon. remember how bloodmoon worked in the beta? no of course you dont because every creative dev who worked during the beta probably quit due to crunching or some other thing.

cdpr please pull your management together, please stop making gwent more and more boring and generic, and please for the love of god play your own damn game!
Post automatically merged:

Oh and mods? I suggest you email this post to all the devs.
I think you may actually be on to one of the core problems here. I can remember a dev stream where one of the devs was playing Alba Armored Cavalry on the ranged row and trying to lock a unit. :facepalm:

I seem to be a good luck charm for bribery players. First they tended to steal my defenders and tonight someone used bribery three times and pulled my igni all three times. Nice RNG.

I seem to be a good luck charm for bribery players. First they tended to steal my defenders and tonight someone used bribery three times and pulled my igni all three times. Nice RNG.

RNG in terms of the matchup too. Played a MO swarm against SY, the oppo had a LOT of 3 STR units (Philippa, Executioner, the ghost ship) yet also had Epidemic. They played Saviolla twice, with Renew. My Ozzrel of course stayed in the deck. Didn't lose by much, but it was kinda pathetic.

Odd.

That's why I only play one or two matches. I did sign up for masters but thinking getting into that rank would be only painful and everything in game is pay to win not f2p. I rather play a free to play game that has good strategy and not much rng and I found it. I am going to play a match or so a day depending on how I am feeling about the pay to win Gwent game.

That's why I only play one or two matches. I did sign up for masters but thinking getting into that rank would be only painful and everything in game is pay to win not f2p. I rather play a free to play game that has good strategy and not much rng and I found it. I am going to play a match or so a day depending on how I am feeling about the pay to win Gwent game.

Gwent is pretty far away from Pay 2 Win.

RNG in terms of the matchup too. Played a MO swarm against SY, the oppo had a LOT of 3 STR units (Philippa, Executioner, the ghost ship) yet also had Epidemic. They played Saviolla twice, with Renew. My Ozzrel of course stayed in the deck. Didn't lose by much, but it was kinda pathetic.
This. There is way too much RNG in this game on all levels. In a strategic game, you want to measure your deck against an opponent's one by strategically playing the cards you have chosen. How is that possible when game mechanics and RNG instead of the player decide which cards can be played and/or how much points are generated? How about making Gwent a truly unique card game, fully dropping the high variance RNG in card abilities, introducing mulligan blacklisting again and not copying or referring to other card games that "have more RNG"?

The first thing I see when looking up Gwent in the App Store: "GWENT is card game of choices and consequences, where skill, not luck, is your greatest weapon."

Tell me CDPR, how is skill my greatest weapon when it is luck that decides to give me bad card draws and/or leaves the most important cards in my deck, leaving me unable to properly execute my strategy or counter an opponent? Please stop this false advertising. This is not poker where players play hundreds of hands/games, thereby evening out the luck part (although with all the RNG it seems that's exactly what you would like players to do). If at least mulligan blacklisting would be reintroduced and high variance RNG would be removed from card abilities, then I could accept to simply ignore your statement, but not now.

I'm sorry but this is getting pretty ridiculous:

How is it pretty far away from Pay 2 Win? When you can spend real money to get packs, just like Magic.

You can spent money to get booster packs but you don't have to do that. There are a lot of players with a full collection that don't spent any/much money on the game. Spending money doesn't grant you anything. In theory this is also true for Magic or Hearthstone but it is so much harder. In Gwent I can create a legendary card from scraps every other day. In Hearthstone it took weeks and you always had to have multiple copies of it.

Tell me CDPR, how is skill my greatest weapon when it is luck that decides to give me bad card draws and/or leaves the most important cards in my deck, leaving me unable to properly execute my strategy or counter an opponent? Please stop this false advertising.

Are you serious about this? It's a card game and you have to draw cards. Do you think it would be cooler if every player could decide which cards to have in hand at any time? Don't you think that every matchup would be the same? Then it would be better to play an RTS I guess. This has been discussed over and over again and it is fare from false advertising to say, that Gwent is based on strategy and decision making and not luck. If you have to draw a certain card to win the game your strategy is just bad. Gwent has few cards with a controversial or bad RNG design like Gascon who is 1 - 10 points. Drawing cards and differing hands is just a core mechanic of every card game.

Are you serious about this? It's a card game and you have to draw cards. Do you think it would be cooler if every player could decide which cards to have in hand at any time? Don't you think that every matchup would be the same? Then it would be better to play an RTS I guess. This has been discussed over and over again and it is fare from false advertising to say, that Gwent is based on strategy and decision making and not luck. If you have to draw a certain card to win the game your strategy is just bad. Gwent has few cards with a controversial or bad RNG design like Gascon who is 1 - 10 points. Drawing cards and differing hands is just a core mechanic of every card game.
Funny, always the same lame arguments and black-or-white thinking.

First, I did not propose to remove card draws as you insinuate. The argument that every matchup would be the same is simply ridiculous. Card draws already create a large enough RNG factor for the game (especially as HC only allows two bronze copies), creating different hands that could be good or bad depending on card combinations, opponent deck and timing of play (rounds). Card mulligan blacklisting and removal of high variance card abilities will increase the strategic and calculative aspect and reduce the RNG of card draws and card abilities.

If I don't draw any of my purify cards or important combo pieces and I lose, is that because my skill or strategy is bad? That's pure nonsense. It is RNG/luck that decides if you win or lose based on card draws. Card abilities with high variance such as Create only add to the luck factor. Gwent is a card game based on luck with a large strategic aspect, not the other way around.

Right now the RNG throughout the game is way too large to advertise the game like this. The final match of the last Challenger is a striking example. There is no way you can honestly say that that game was decided by skill.

Of course luck is part of the game as it is of every card game. And of course you can have a great deck and lose because of bad draws. But I would say that it is not about one game but who wins the most games. In most games or sports the most dominant players or teams lose some games because of bad luck. You can beat the best Gwent player in one game. But at the end of every season she/he will be on top.

The factor of luck is not that big in Gwent. It would be if it had a lot of cards with a huge range of value. Like "Deal 10 damage to a random Unit". Then you could say that the outcome of a game is mostly based on luck. The randomness of drawing cards is a core mechanic of every card game. Of course they could ad blacklisting again but with only two copies of bronze cards it's not a big factor. That's why Gwent is a strategy based card game.

Of course luck is part of the game as it is of every card game. ... The randomness of drawing cards is a core mechanic of every card game.
That's a very bad argument. Gwent is not every card game and I don't think anyone wants Gwent to be like other card games.
And of course you can have a great deck and lose because of bad draws. But I would say that it is not about one game but who wins the most games. In most games or sports the most dominant players or teams lose some games because of bad luck. You can beat the best Gwent player in one game. But at the end of every season she/he will be on top.
There's simply too much RNG in Gwent to state that skill is your greatest weapon. Sure, if you play hundreds of games, the RNG is evened out and you can say the overall result is based on skill. But that's not what it says. We're talking individual games here. Like tournaments. Like the examples I gave.
The factor of luck is not that big in Gwent. It would be if it had a lot of cards with a huge range of value. Like "Deal 10 damage to a random Unit". Then you could say that the outcome of a game is mostly based on luck. The randomness of drawing cards is a core mechanic of every card game. Of course they could ad blacklisting again but with only two copies of bronze cards it's not a big factor. That's why Gwent is a strategy based card game.
For each individual game, the outcome is mostly based on luck if both players know how to play. For a truly skill-based strategy game, it is important to reduce RNG and luck. If mulligan blacklisting is not a big factor then why not reintroduce it? Nobody wants to get a copy of a card that was just mulliganed. It would make the game feel much better.

Tonight an opponent used bribery twice and pulled my defender both times. The odds for this too happen seems to be far too great.

Tonight an opponent used bribery twice and pulled my defender both times. The odds for this too happen seems to be far too great.

77% on the first try, 59% on both tries. So, yes, pretty good odds.

EDIT: correction: 66% on the first try, 44% on both tries, in a best case scenario.

Last edited:
So let me say one last thing on this topic because I think that anything else has already been said.

Gwent offers several mechanics to reduce the impact of the RNG of draws:

- deck thinning
- tutor cards
- mulligans (at least 6 per game)
- leader ability (think of it as a card you can play anytime)

If you need to have Ozzrell in round 3 you can add Naglfar to your deck. If this is not enough ad Royal Degree and you will almost always have the card you want in your hand. But a card game can't guarantee you a card to 100% because it would break the core mechanics of this genre. It's like saying 'I love football but it should only played one on one'. While you could do that it would become a completely different type of game.

That's all I have to say.

So let me say one last thing on this topic because I think that anything else has already been said.

Gwent offers several mechanics to reduce the impact of the RNG of draws:

- deck thinning
- tutor cards
- mulligans (at least 6 per game)
- leader ability (think of it as a card you can play anytime)

If you need to have Ozzrell in round 3 you can add Naglfar to your deck. If this is not enough ad Royal Degree and you will almost always have the card you want in your hand. But a card game can't guarantee you a card to 100% because it would break the core mechanics of this genre. It's like saying 'I love football but it should only played one on one'. While you could do that it would become a completely different type of game.

That's all I have to say.
It seems you have some limiting beliefs about mechanics, looking too much at other card games. A card game is a game with cards, that's all. Gwent shouldn't be like other card games and it should have unique mechanics that truly allow more strategic play. No one is asking for 100% card guarantee (another black-or-white statement), but a lot of people are asking for less RNG.

a lot of people are asking for less RNG.

Be careful what you wish for, we might end up with more cards like Bribery.

Personally, what makes Gwent a more strategic card game is that you do not draw cards during the round. You make your draws, plan your sequencing, adapt and react to your opponent with what you have in hand. There is no situation where you or your opponent suddenly draw a winning card, you either have or have a way to get it or you don't and play a different strategy. Too much consistency can be bad. It's what makes hyperthin so strong, it's what makes Calanthe and Cleaver unhealthy leaders (I mean unhealthy by making other leaders pale in comparison in efficinecy). There has to be certain RNG in a card game to simulate shuffling, otherwise it's not really a card game.

Anyway, Archan6el, I would really recommend that you try playing Prismata, I have a feeling you might like it.

Top Bottom