Roach's mane is still broken (Patch 1.31)

+
Roach's mane is still broken (Patch 1.31)

So this has been frustrating the crap out of me to no end. Anyone on here probably knows exactly what I am talking about. Roach's mane is gone.

It has to do with the horse gear that covers the mane such as the Undvik saddle. When I switch to a normal saddle that doesn't cover her mane as soon as Roach get's respawned when calling her she only has part of her mane on the top of her head. The only fix is to reequip a saddle that covers it and then switch back to the other saddle which has to be done every time Roach is respawned.

Not playing on PC, this has gotten on my last nerve because I can't fix it through mods or console commands. Really infuriating to someone as obsessive compulsive as I am.

After many google searches I have uncovered the extensive history of this bug for the last year or so of the game after the DLCs started coming out. I can't believe this bug is still present all the way up until patch 1.31! And I am not the only one who has this issue. Thank God Roach still has her tail in my game >__>

Can anyone confirm whether there are any possibilities of more patches to come? 1.31 has been out for quite a while now. If there are ever any new patches, us console players without the ability to fix our own games would really appreciate it if this stupid bug could be squashed once and for all.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Yep, just a few days back I completed my 1.31 playthrough. The Roach's mane was fine up untill I bought and equipped Ofieri saddle. After that her mane was reduced in half, my first reaction was like: "Is the horse dying?", then I recalled reading about this bug. What fixed it for me was travelling to Skellige, leaving the saddle in my stash box, then returing to Velen with a "naked" horse. After that things got back to normal, I had to refrain from using the Ofieri saddle obviously.

Then I accidently drowned my horse in Kaer Morhen when doing that Troll the saver quest. I remembered that one of the fixes for the PC version was to "kill Roach" with console commands and figured I might have just "murdered" my horse with in-game tools. Sure enough, even Ofieri saddle worked fine since that occurence.

iCake;n7462880 said:
Yep, just a few days back I completed my 1.31 playthrough. The Roach's mane was fine up untill I bought and equipped Ofieri saddle. After that her mane was reduced in half, my first reaction was like: "Is the horse dying?", then I recalled reading about this bug. What fixed it for me was travelling to Skellige, leaving the saddle in my stash box, then returing to Velen with a "naked" horse. After that things got back to normal, I had to refrain from using the Ofieri saddle obviously.

Then I accidently drowned my horse in Kaer Morhen when doing that Troll the saver quest. I remembered that one of the fixes for the PC version was to "kill Roach" with console commands and figured I might have just "murdered" my horse with in-game tools. Sure enough, even Ofieri saddle worked fine since that occurence.

You have no idea how excited I am to kill Roach as soon as I get my game started back up... Thanks for figuring that one out for me! :D I had read about killing Roach through console but never thought about trying to do it the old fashioned way XD So is there any particular way I should do this? I already have the Undvik set (which is what caused the problem to start) unequipped. Can I kill her in any of the zones with any saddle on or what?

EDIT: Ok so I tried repeating what you did and it didn't work :/ I'll post details in a fresh post below.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Blood thirsty, aren't we? That prematurely deceased horse from B&W is going to haunt us.

Jokes aside, it's not that easy to do away with Geralt's beloved equine friend. She's stubborn, she'll always try and stop before any ledge high enough to be dangerous, or any ledge overlooking deep water, she'll aslo never jump into danger willingly. As I said, I managed to do that accidently. Did that in Kaer Morhen, I was galloping along a shore with a very steep bottom. Turned waterside, the Roach tried to prevent her untimely demise with an abrupt stop, but momentum quickly sank her into the deep. And no, I don't think it matters whether you kill Roach in any particular way or zone, or with certain gear equipped.

Good luck! :)

Went to White Orchard (the only place the glitch doesn't seem to affect). Removed all of Roach's gear and put everything for Roach into my stash. Fast traveled to Velen and Roach's mane was gone again. Killed Roach in a river, whistled and still no mane.

Any chance you could elaborate further on what you did to fix it? Why did you go to Skellige? Was the glitch not happening there?

In my game, it was a long time before I noticed it. I bought Undvik armor for Roach and wore it for most of the game (200+ hours on this playthrough). Now I just got to doing HoS and won the first Ofieri saddle from the Runewright. When I equipped it I noticed the glitch and other saddles that don't cover the mane cause the same thing to happen. So basically, Undvik is what caused it and it happens in all regions except for White Orchard and Toussiant but I haven't been there yet so it may very well occur there too.

iCake;n7463170 said:
Blood thirsty, aren't we? That prematurely deceased horse from B&W is going to haunt us.

Jokes aside, it's not that easy to do away with Geralt's beloved equine friend. She's stubborn, she'll always try and stop before any ledge high enough to be dangerous, or any ledge overlooking deep water, she'll aslo never jump into danger willingly. As I said, I managed to do that accidently. Did that in Kaer Morhen, I was galloping along a shore with a very steep bottom. Turned waterside, the Roach tried to prevent her untimely demise with an abrupt stop, but momentum quickly sank her into the deep. And no, I don't think it matters whether you kill Roach in any particular way or zone, or with certain gear equipped.

Good luck! :)

Yea, I managed to kill her... twice. Still haven't fixed it though. Details are above in another post. Any chance you could explain a little more as to how the glitch happened for you and exactly what process you went through to fix it?

iCake

Forum veteran
Sorry to hear that. I believe I've already exhaustively explained how this glitch happened for me. Equipping Ofiery saddle from HoS expansion triggered it. Getting rid of that saddle in a different zone, then unequipping all horse gear and changing zones again fixed it for me. But here's what might be the culprit, I never had any problems with mane with any gear, but that Ofieri one. Killing Roach fixed even that one buggy saddle.

Again, I'm sorry that the work around I suggested isn't working out for you. Stuff like this is what finally made me decide that I'm not going to put up with console limitations any longer and that I should just move on with a PC. Shame, I've gamed on consoles for what's like 8 years now.

iCake;n7463380 said:
Sorry to hear that. I believe I've already exhaustively explained how this glitch happened for me. Equipping Ofiery saddle from HoS expansion triggered it. Getting rid of that saddle in a different zone, then unequipping all horse gear and changing zones again fixed it for me. But here's what might be the culprit, I never had any problems with mane with any gear, but that Ofieri one. Killing Roach fixed even that one buggy saddle.

Again, I'm sorry that the work around I suggested isn't working out for you. Stuff like this is what finally made me decide that I'm not going to put up with console limitations any longer and that I should just move on with a PC. Shame, I've gamed on consoles for what's like 8 years now.

Yea, I'll keep messing with it later. Unfortunately, in life, we can't have everything. I too have always been a console gamer and also game on the PC. I have Witcher 3 for both because a friend gifted it to me on GOG when it first came out. Never really got to playing it though because at launch my PC had a lot of trouble running it smoothly. It didn't exactly have the best optimization in the world. Now I have the GOTY edition on the Xbox from a sale and am just playing it there. I would play it on my PC... but my PC currently won't play any games :/ And therein lies the biggest issue with PC gaming - lots of troubleshooting. Sure you may have the ability to patch your own game through mods and console commands... But you'll also have to worry about patching your own PC which thankfully isn't so much of a common issue with consoles :p

After I stop being lazy and fix my PC one of these days (the parts are literally sitting next to me in an unopened Amazon package XD ) I certainly plan on buying the DLCs and giving mods a go... After I put everything from the Witcher 3 I like into my Skyrim XD

I can't get it fixed. Have tried all kinds of stuff and it seems that the only way is to equip Undvik and reequip the other saddle. So stupid... I just want Roach to look cool which is actually a pretty reasonable wish considering how much time you spend riding around in this game :( I simply cannot believe that this glitch is still around after all of the patches that were supposed to fix it >__<

The same is happening to me on ps4 :( soo f*ckin tired of seeing roach like that, it´s been like this since that patch right before the release of B&W

Unfortunately that's only one of the many problems that the game still has and we are stuck with , I made a post months ago about what I consider a more noticeable bug , and worse than this one I may add.

take a look , that's post patch 1.20 and hasn't been fixed yet:

josemayuste;n7486350 said:
Unfortunately that's only one of the many problems that the game still has and we are stuck with , I made a post months ago about what I consider a more noticeable bug , and worse than this one I may add.

take a look , that's post patch 1.20 and hasn't been fixed yet:

Took a look at it. I honestly cannot tell you if it looks like that on the Xbox or not. If it does I didn't notice it and Skellige is my favorite and most explored region. The Witcher 3 in general beats most console games, even BF1 and Battlefront in many ways. It is for that reason that I tend not to notice graphical issues in the background like that. This is possibly because I am used to playing games like Skyrim or Fallout which even on PC with lots of mods still have terrible LOD textures. I suppose I have just grown to ignore those sorts of things.

Actually, to tell you the real truth though, in my game there are almost always so many atmospheric effects triggering at any given time that they tend to hide some of the uglier features of the game. I almost never get a perfectly clear Skellige. While thankfully, Skellige is not nearly as rainy as Velen for me (it literally rains for weeks in game and drives me crazy) it still has it's fair share of dramatic weather effects that conceal distant LOD textures. The ocean is usually foggy for me and only the mountain peaks are clearly visible without obstruction in my game.

EDIT: After looking at it again I do see that there is a lot of fog in your game too. Honestly I don't think my game does that. Could be a PS4 bug. If it does do it I never noticed it which is probably because of my already mentioned lack of sensitivity to graphical bugs from playing too many Bethesda games.

Last edited:
It's not related to weather conditions as you suggest , in fact , I think that It may happen on Xbox One too , and may be related to changes made in the game engine introduced by Blood & Wine patch (1.20).

In other hand , I find myself with the same roach mane bug now , that drove me here.

I hope that CDProjekt RED adresses some of these bugs , quite annoying especially for a game that won so many GOTY awards to see some of these unsolved.

Rgds.

josemayuste;n7487630 said:
It's not related to weather conditions as you suggest , in fact , I think that It may happen on Xbox One too , and may be related to changes made in the game engine introduced by Blood & Wine patch (1.20).

In other hand , I find myself with the same roach mane bug now , that drove me here.

I hope that CDProjekt RED adresses some of these bugs , quite annoying especially for a game that won so many GOTY awards to see some of these unsolved.

Rgds.

I know it isn't related to weather issues. I was merely suggesting that the weather in this game often obstructs me from noticing LOD issues.

I really hope they surprise us with another patch but I seriously doubt it. I believe 1.31 as been out for many months now.

Top Bottom