[Rockerboy] How to approach it in a game?

+
[Rockerboy] How to approach it in a game?

Cyberpunk is a world filled with cynicism and apathy for the human condition, because for a lot of people in it, they don't really have hope to counter the power of corporations, and the appropriated media they control to spin the lies for them, and the politicians who are bought by them.

Sounds a lot like our world now.

So if you're not a machine of destruction like a Solo, or a wizard of the net like a Netrunner, and don't have the money, or media connections...

All you have is the power of your words, and your ability to connect with other people. Through music, your words can latch onto people more readily in an emotionally way.

And in a world full of lies, the truth can get you to connect with a lot of people. They see the injustice just like everyone else, but feel they're alone, and without a means to do anything about it.

So how does the Rockerboy enter this?

A Rockerboy doesn't have any more power than you, or me do, but when they open their mouths, they can make a fool out of a corporation, a politician, maybe even a nation, and make it a mantra for the populace to agitate themselves into action. They can sing about a part of life people should care about, it doesn't necessarily need to be about social justice, it can just also be something genuinely fun to lose themselves in, to escape the craptastic world they live in.

But the powerful stuff, can make other people realize they can do something, and they're not alone.

So gameplay wise, not so much shooting, but they when they do come around, they'd be a terrifying experience. Something that should grip the player in fear, and anger, because that same intimidation, and violence is used to cow everyone else you know. Definitely I can see the player doing these things:

-Large capability on social networking of desperate movements to spread a message.

-Searching source material to find inspiration, and a foundation to work your art on.

-Organizing those of talent to get you the material you need, and allying with them. Netrunner to steal the incriminating, or damaging info, a non corp Media group to help the populace digest the info, and if you're inspiring enough, you might even get a Solo to protect someone who's witnessed something that needs to see the light of day, said witness might even be you.

-Make that glorious music, and spread it like a street prophet, to agitate the populace to wake up to something wicked going on, or remind them to have some fun once in a while.

Now, in your hijinks, no doubt you'll attract unwanted corporate attention. It's not a gun free environment, and hitmen might be chasing you. The keys of truth will be guarded by a lot of nasty men with guns, and it may take breaking a few laws by trespassing, and theft. If you're not built like a Solo, you run. But if you have friends with big guns, you can give em a fight.

So a lot more roleplaying, mixed with investigation, fleeing corp security, and doing your bit in the world by reminding the populace of Cyberpunk to give a damn about something, or giving them a bit of music to be a balm for the crappy state the world is in.

So thinking about that, how the world of Cyberpunk is framed for the player initially is critical, so when they hit it home with their music, they can see it change the attitude of the people around them.

I could see a rockerboy, character setting up a inpromptu concert infront of the Arasaka building and starting a riot to serve as a distraction, so gameplay wise I'm seeing a controller in one hand and Guitar Hero... guitar in the other. Ready to whip out your rock at a moments notice whether they asked for it or not, you will expose them all to your glory.

I totally agree. But as cool as it sounds, it may still be difficult to get "the rockerboy way" in a videogame. Bullets are pretty easy to simulate, influence and art not so much.

Same goes with Fixers, Médias and Corporates. Their ressources are society and the people inside it. They play on a political level (even if they stick to the streets) and I haven't (yet) found a game taking this kind of "influence" into account.

I totally agree. But as cool as it sounds, it may still be difficult to get "the rockerboy way" in a videogame. Bullets are pretty easy to simulate, influence and art not so much.

Same goes with Fixers, Médias and Corporates. Their ressources are society and the people inside it. They play on a political level (even if they stick to the streets) and I haven't (yet) found a game taking this kind of "influence" into account.
Might I suggest Liberal Crime Squad, its practically a cyberpunk rpg, and its pretty funny. There are quite a few games that try to work influence. Some better than others.

If any role is to be dropped....

Seriously, as classicly presented, there is little room for this role without it coming off as incredibly goofy...

Even in the PNP game, Rockerboys really serve no purpose in the game, unless the game revolves specifically around them... The one time I tried to run a game like that... lets just say the less spoken of it the better..

Seriously pulling ff the spoony bard role well is hard. The only way I can see it working is by going ballout crazy, and taking it to almost surreal levels here.

Seriously, as classicly presented, there is little room for this role without it coming off as incredibly goofy...

Even in the PNP game, Rockerboys really serve no purpose in the game, unless the game revolves specifically around them... The one time I tried to run a game like that... lets just say the less spoken of it the better..
I suffer from severe bile fascination so I must ask.

Agreed.

From what I've gathered, the Rockerboy is a very unique and vastly different role compared to the rest of them in Cyberpunk, and if CDPR doesn't find a smart way to implement it into 2077 (other than simply gaining a boost it Speech or something similar) they can just drop it.

Is kind of weird that why, if this role does not have much of a purpose, then the only reason basically is to make riots and destruction?...That is how i interpreted.

Even in the PNP game, Rockerboys really serve no purpose in the game, unless the game revolves specifically around them..

Medias are in a similar spot. They always felt more like hooks for the game master to get the rest of the gang going rather than actual members of the group. A solo, fixer, netrunner, techie and a media. Spot the odd one.

I dont see the role being too atractive to the millions of gamers that should make the game profitable. I think it COULD be better thab it sounds, if the character is exceptionally well written, and has the best lines in the game (making Power look bad DOES seem to work with teens).

Or they could resort to cheap tricks and make a punk girl that talks loud and gets naked on stage like Nina Hagen used to do... :p

Anyways, I see a lot of errand-boy sidequesting to improve your status with the common people as the main task ( making and staging cool rock concerts could be fun but you would need a really good singer recording and that plus the cinematics involved just for the concert, means lots of moneys... I remember David Bowie in Omikron... :p).

My point is, that only by spending huge loads of moneys you could make this interesting... and maybe they should spend that money elsewhere, so the game doesnt suck. :p

Agreed.

From what I've gathered, the Rockerboy is a very unique and vastly different role compared to the rest of them in Cyberpunk, and if CDPR doesn't find a smart way to implement it into 2077 (other than simply gaining a boost it Speech or something similar) they can just drop it.

With Interlock Unlimited I broke Rockerboy up into two separate Roles... Instigator (the activist/motivator) and Artiste (the musician, artist, performer)

Neither does anyone ever take one as a primary role, but they are often taken as secondary roles...

Medias are in a similar spot. They always felt more like hooks for the game master to get the rest of the gang going rather than actual members of the group. A solo, fixer, netrunner, techie and a media. Spot the odd one.

If you really want to see what a Media could be capable of, watch Season 1 of James Cameron's "Dark Angel."

Logan Cale/ Eyes Only was like a Media/ Netrunner combo, but that man knew how to get the word out.

Medias would actually be easier to work into the game... war correspondents and investigative journalists tend to work alone most of the time any....

If we go with the idea that every role gets the same missions in the main storyline(s), then instead of killing someone, arresting someone, or whatnot... a Medias job is to record and report on the ordeal. She sets up mics, uses her camera like a sniper rifle...

A Nomads job may be to drive the escape vehicle for the big baddie... the Medias job would be to get pictures of him before he escapes, maybe pics of the getaway car/license plate... or maybe to follow the baddie back to wherever he is hiding...

If you really want to see what a Media could be capable of, watch Season 1 of James Cameron's "Dark Angel."

Logan Cale/ Eyes Only was like a Media/ Netrunner combo, but that man knew how to get the word out.

Hell my favorite book of all time, Transmetropolitan, is all about a rogue journalist...

My solution? Don't include it. This is the one class that screams 80's so loud the game would be a laughing stock.

Top Bottom