[Rockerboy] How to approach it in a game?

+
Rockerboys should evolve to also be DJ's. Spinning Techno sets at raves. Along with what OP said.

Overall, I want there to be an epic riot we're all able to take part in.

Aftear reading the first post i also dont think it could work exactly as described. I guess it might something like :
-gathering informations ( working with netrunners?), using the informations for planning and preperations to sabotage (or change course) of some bigger events ouccuring in the city
-influencing the media to present events in a certain ways
-or just building your position in a media company by using some dirty tricks

Medias are in a similar spot. They always felt more like hooks for the game master to get the rest of the gang going rather than actual members of the group. A solo, fixer, netrunner, techie and a media. Spot the odd one.

Agreed... out of all the various Roles, it was the Rockerboy/girl and the Media that seemed to me as ones far better left as NPCs than as playable types - there's no real purpose to them, playwise, in a single-player game.

Aver

Forum veteran
Agreed... out of all the various Roles, it was the Rockerboy/girl and the Media that seemed to me as ones far better left as NPCs than as playable types - there's no real purpose to them, playwise.

Rockerboy doesn't have to be a Rockstar it may be low-end musician and Media have a lot of meanings it may be broken journalist that investigate illegal activities of corporations for underground radios.

Rockerboy is a guy of great charisma with a lot of contacts. He has his ways to convince people of streets (especially young females) to do him favors and always know what is happening on the streets. On other hand Media guys are smart, stubborn and bold. They has their ways to get to the bottom of the case without using force.

There is a lot of gameplay opportunities for both of them. After all this game is not only about fighting and hacking. For me game of the wits was always big part of the Cyberpunk and actually it was my favorite part.

Rockerboys and girls are entertainers - actors, writers, musicians, comedians, jugglers, what have you. Anyone that is a celebrity for who they are rather than what they do, is a Rockerboy. Anyone who is loved and worshipped out of all proportion to what they've done is at least in part a Rockerboy. Even if they'd rather not be, heh.

So you want to play the famous or would-be famous character that gets into bars and has fans and creates, manipulates or exploits multimedia for people to enjoy? You're a Rockerboy.

If you want the Story - for whatever reason, fame, money, power or God Forbid, Truth - you're a Media.

Rockerboys should evolve to also be DJ's.
^^ this. Though I don't expect Rockerboys to *exclusively* be DJs, you gotta admit, being able to pull a mass of people like this is impressive:

[video=youtube;AYw-t4uDblM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYw-t4uDblM[/video]

Seems that people aren't able to picture the role of a Rockerboy / Media / Corporate / Fixer in the RPG setting

If it's a RPG, combat shouldn't be the sole focus. I should have the ability to progress in the story with non-combat methods. For the sections that *require* combat, a non-combat oriented character should, of course, be worse off than a character optimized for combat, but I don't want to focus on the best weapon / armor loadout for every character I create. If I just want to run around and blow sh!t up, I can play GTA / Saints Row / Crackdown / Borderlands / etc.

>Rockerboys are essential, after all the game is called Cyberpunk.
>is called Cyberpunk.
>Cyberpunk.
>punk.

Music in the future can and might just be the cause of a revolution. Music is a powerful weapon, I envision a slew of artists like Rage Against the Machine in the future with electronic sounds along with subliminal messages that are more direct. They would definitely be able to start riots, and riots with a bunch of cyberpsychotics is definitely not a good thing for the bad guys in suits.

I played for 12 years before I had a player do rockerboy right. Within 1 game he skyrocketed up to my favorite CP2020 charter I'd ever seen.

He was a gangsta rapper.

For fun he installed a braindance recorder to capture footage of himself living the Edgerunner life, blowing up cars, shooting at guys, driving stolen boats, etc... During intense combats he would start rapping (rolling perform and dance checks) so that the editors could go in later and sync all the footage with his music braindance videos.

Our first Rockerboy was one of our best - he decided, ( and this was 20+ years ago Real Time) that fame would come with people seeing how crazy he was, so he ran with us, mostly on-camera. Jackass. His approach to things could be unpredictable - he once left the AV-4 by jumping out the side, 5 stories up.

Yeah, that video of DJs doing their thing....not really convincing. Maybe if they were, I dunno, playing musical instruments? Or writing something? Pretty sure we could replace them with a mix machine.

I thihnk, if I was to play a rockerboy, I would not go the music way and rather use my charms to con people, a hustle here, a rip-off there.....not going for reputation and fame but rather influencing people to give me their hard earned money and loan me their AV-4 on the lofty promise to give them something they neiher need nor ever really expect to get.

Yeah, that video of DJs doing their thing....not really convincing. Maybe if they were, I dunno, playing musical instruments? Or writing something? Pretty sure we could replace them with a mix machine.
How about this?

While it may not be your thing, you have to apprecite the technical complexity involved; this level of DJing requires at *least* the same amount of technical skill as playing a conventional instrument.

Also, IMO, turntablism is the *quintessential* essence of Cyberpunk, neh?

As the Patron Saint Gibson spoke: the street finds its own uses for things...

FINE. I shall watch your video. The first of it's kind.

How would turntabling be the essence of CPunk? It's not set in 1982.

Okay, mostly I heard the great Star Wars composition and then some kid playing with his unnecessarily-mechanical toy.

John Williams is a Rockerboy. That guy was PRETTY obviously a Techie. In a helmet. That looked suspiciously like some other guy's helmet I saw once.

....Battlestar Galactica?!

FINE. I shall watch your video. The first of it's kind.

I can totally imagine this ... but with turntables.

DJing is more than just using two turntables now a days. It is also more than just throwing on a beat and bobbing your head. Obvserve

(warning ... language)

Imagine all that combining?

Something like a Daft Punk show with lasers n holograms, n lights n stuff? Insane. I think I just want to see battles like in Scott Pilgrim but with DJing. Complete with the lights and made up things fighting. That would be a really cool spin on DJ battles. (No pun intended)

Regardless though .. I think you should be able to choose ...

I know I'd go with this instrument any day of the week:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/330/e/f/efd80f5de2b27c50bba4d2d70f294dbf.jpg

Turntables are retro, don'tchaknow. =p

Though, in the dark future, I'd expect most (if not all) vinyl to have been replaced by digital turntables and samplers. mp3j's (or whatever the popular codec would be) ftw.

Okay, I just saw this and there is like a split second of someone who looks like they're DJing, but the entire vibe is badass and definitively something I can see developing in a HipHop culture with a Cyberpunk setting

Aaand now I want to play a DJing Rockerboy. NOT ONLY because Slim has prayed for our destruction...but did you see that guy's HAIR?!

Top Bottom