Role of Alvin in the story

+
Role of Alvin in the story

I was very curious about letter which I found in the Novigrad. And it is strange that we didn't know who exactly Alvin is and why he had such powers as Ciri. Was he just a copy of Ciri created specially for the first game or there was something more about it?

Here is the actual letter from Witcher 3.

And I was curios enough to look for various thoughts and information about Alvin and Jaques de Aldersberg and I've found something on one of the Witcher fan sites. It really looks interesting, and it seems to be a fan version of conversation with Eredin.

[rozpoczęcie dialogu]
[I need answers.]
[Didn't you already have them? You've been among us, you've been one of us, witcher.]
[I recover my memory, but I don't remember what happened after I joined the hunt.]
[You still didn't completely recover your memory? After all that time. How pity. We ventured through this world together many times, taking away childrens of their parents in countless towns and villages in seek for a child. Ciri's child. The one you once meet in Vizima. Alvin was his name? There also was a second child. The same as him, but grown. We almost got him in Aldersberg. It was a bad idea to erase his memory. We almost succeeded, but something went wrong and his mind got corrupted and unstable, and I doubt his memory were erased properly. That's probably explaining his hatred towards nonhumans and especially elfs. And in the end he escaped. We wouldn't need Ciri if only we had him. Young Alvin was in your hands a few years ago. You were the one who find him. A witcher with amnesia. And in the end it was your hands took his life. Pretty ironic, don't you think? Savior of the worlds was killed by a simple witcher. I think he didn't even realise that you will do this until very end.]
[I don't believe any word of yours, all I hear is just a pure speculation and lies.]
[I'm not going to convince you. We have our ways to find someone who travelling through time and space and there is only two people who did exactly that so easily. Only one now is among the living. And Ciri is our last chance. Only Avalac'h is standing between me an her. He want to use her for his own mysterious plans, am I right? We can save your and our world from White Frost right now, if you could bring her to me.]
[And what will happend next, Eredin? After when you save us from the White Frost? Conquer our and other worlds with Ciri as your puppet?]
[You know how this will end. If you want, you can become my general and be at my side when Aen Elle will triumph, Geralt. Although it doesn't matter what you choose, every decision you make will bring devastation. Each choice will lead to a greater evil. It's your Destiny, White Wolf. And it is time for you to decide.]

So, it is interesting to see what you guys think about Alvin and his role in the series.

Alvin was another Source who killed by Geralt at the end of the game.

He is the founder of the Order of the Flaming Rose.

He was a racist against elves due to the actions of the Scoia'tael.

He was also briefly adopted by Geralt.

He was not so much a copy of Ciri as an "anti-Ciri."

he was a child of the elder blood, like ciri, have you played the first game?
Yes, several times. It just strange we didn't had an option to ask Alvin who was his parents and all. A truly mysterious boy. :)

He was not so much a copy of Ciri as an "anti-Ciri."

What do you mean by that? He tried to save humanity, just like Ciri. But in kinda perverted way. :wat:

Last edited:
Alvin is an anti-Ciri because he's basically an inversion of all of Ciri's story arcs.

Ciri started as a royal, Alvin started as a commoner
Ciri was orphaned at a young age, Alvin was adopted
Ciri was trained as a Witcher, Alvin was trained as a sorcerer
Ciri went to live with Yennefer, Alvin went to live with Triss (or Shani)

The Thanedd Coup and Scoia'tael revolution divide them

Ciri trains with the Rats, Alvin ends up with the Eternal Fire
Ciri renounces sorcery, Alvin becomes a great Sorcerer
Ciri goes on to become a Witcher, Alvin becomes a Witch Hunter
Ciri renounces her destiny, Alvin embraces it
Ciri is rescued by Geralt, Alvin is killed by Geralt

Alvin is an anti-Ciri because he's basically an inversion of all of Ciri's story arcs.

Ciri started as a royal, Alvin started as a commoner
Ciri was orphaned at a young age, Alvin was adopted
Ciri was trained as a Witcher, Alvin was trained as a sorcerer
Ciri went to live with Yennefer, Alvin went to live with Triss (or Shani)

The Thanedd Coup and Scoia'tael revolution divide them

Ciri trains with the Rats, Alvin ends up with the Eternal Fire
Ciri renounces sorcery, Alvin becomes a great Sorcerer
Ciri goes on to become a Witcher, Alvin becomes a Witch Hunter
Ciri renounces her destiny, Alvin embraces it
Ciri is rescued by Geralt, Alvin is killed by Geralt
Now that's interesting. Seeing these parallels makes me wonder if this was done on purpose. Script writers hiding their footsteps in effort of making Alvin less similar to Ciri, but yet giving him same Elder Blood? I'm a bit confused to be honest.

---------- Updated at 09:29 PM ----------

So, could Alvin technically have taken Ciri's place in the prophecy? Or am I just being thick?

Yes, I think that could be possible. If he would be alive. And dropped the idea to turn humanity into mutants resistant to White Frost instead of fighting it. Or something.

Last edited:
Now that's interesting. Seeing these parallels makes me wonder if this was done on purpose. Script writers hiding their footsteps in effort of making Alvin less similar to Ciri, but yet giving him same Elder Blood? I'm a bit confused to be honest.

It's not hidden at all. It's absolutely meant to be obvious to book readers, who the original intended audience is. It's meant to be a double gut-punch that, no, Alvin isn't your friend but your enemy.

Yes, I think that could be possible. If he would be alive. And dropped the idea to turn humanity into mutants resistant to White Frost instead of fighting it. Or something.

Well, there is no Prophecy. Part of the whole thing is that Ciri discovers that she's not some destined messianic figure but a product of an elvish science experiment.

product of an elvish science experiment.
I don't remember if it was explained, but for what purpose Elder Blood gene was created? Is it a weapon which was created by ancients? Though I remember someone in the book, I think it was Calanthe's grandmother picked up bridges with her eyebrows. Very, very useful to have such gene in everyday life.

I don't remember if it was explained, but for what purpose Elder Blood gene was created? Is it a weapon which was created by ancients? Though I remember someone in the book, I think it was Calanthe's grandmother picked up bridges with her eyebrows. Very, very useful to have such gene in everyday life.

The Elder Blood, or Lara gene, was engineered to create an Aen Elle elf who would have similar powers to an elven sage but thousands of times stronger. This person would be powerful enough to create the Gate of the Worlds, which could transport thousands or even millions of people between various worlds and time periods.

However, Lara Dorren ended up derailing the Aen Elle's plans by hooking up with a human sorcerer when she was supposed to have had a child with Avallac'h.

Last edited:
And dropped the idea to turn humanity into mutants resistant to White Frost instead of fighting it.
I thought the grand master just wanted to creat enough mutants to protect most people(e.g. women and children) on the migration to south, like mutant bodyguards, because he thought witchers' doubts wouldn't be perfect for such a job. And not to turn the whole humanity into mutants.

I was thinking...the tower you fight against Alvin at the end of TW1, is Tor Gv'alcha, the same tower dreamt by Ciri, which takes place in Undvik?

I was thinking...the tower you fight against Alvin at the end of TW1, is Tor Gv'alcha, the same tower dreamt by Ciri, which takes place in Undvik?
Both places look similar, but there was no tower in the first game. That's the main difference.

---------- Updated at 09:33 PM ----------

Last edited:
Top Bottom