Roleplaying in Witcher 3 is very limited. Far too limited for a 2015 game than needs a GTX970 and a quad core.

+
A final note from the OP

This game is so close to being one of the best games ever made. It is held back only by its lack of real satisfying choices. If the devs want W3 to be played for 20 years like Balders Gate .... all they need to do is give the player more freedom and empowerment. Most of this can be done without changing the game flow too much. In the end it will benefit the game more than the crappy DLC most devs release.

As a side note, when I talked with a friend about my experiences with W3 they bought me Dragon Age Inquisition. What a horrible game .... didn't last 3 hours. I felt like a caged rat with all the corridors and scripted battles and lack of control and hitting over and over and over. And the controls and camera, no game came closer to making me hurl. You can just feel how every encounter is designed to be tedious. W3 is a masterpiece compared.

Interestingly enough the rickety old Skyrim engine is still my favorite (properly modded of course). Too bad nobody can make a game worth playing on it. Precious few quests are worth the time. If somebody could patch on a decent questing engine on top of the Skyrim engine, that might be the future.

If Bethesda and ProjectCD could collaborate and make an engine with the best of both worlds and get somebody who knows how to write complex quests and NPCs, perhaps gaming could rise out of the violent pablum it currently is. That said the quests in W3 are far better than I expected and if more choice and empowerment was offered I would say they have the questing talent to pull it off.

How on Earth is the choice system in ES games more meaningful than the witcher? As far as I remember choices in Skyrim change very little about the world you're in. While the main quest gives you a bit of leeway , the sidequests are as linear as they get. The only "meaningful" choice you can make is often whether to stab the questgiver after you complete his quest. But how is the freedom to slaughter a meaningful rpg option? eh.... Maybe I'm wrong but please give me some examples of those great morally-dubious choices in Skyrim?

Skyrim is a beautiful sandbox buut the writing is kinda simplistic. I don't even blame Skyrim for this, I think that RPG design where your character is a blank slate can never be successful. How can you care about a character if he/she has no history, no motivations , nothing that would give the protagonist substance. Roleplaying is based on playing a role , not controlling a shell of a man. I'm so glad that CDPR actually gets that instead of perpetuating the mistakes of Bethesda or Bioware.

CDPR decided to go for for an emotional tale with substance where your choices actually affect the world that surrounds you. This is what we call roleplaying.

The worst thing is that I actually love Skyrim and think it was a stepping stone towards the greatness of TW3 but it's a game that hasn't aged well (even with mods). It just bugs me so much when I see people claiming Skyrim is in any way superior to TW3. The new ES game may well be better , let's wait and see. If you don't like the choices presented in the Witcher, it means that you cannot "get into" the world. That's okay, it may be not be your kind of a world. But please, stop with the pointless ES nostalgia. It is not humanly possible to love ES for the story unless there's a mod that totally overhauls it.

P.S: I know, I know, you shouldn't feed trolls. Next thing you know they will be demanding a bucket of red paint :p
P.S.S: Not all ES writing is bland and generic. Morrowind had a really good story, but again, no big, world-altering choices

A final final note fro the OP
Chapter 2 SPOILERS ALERT

It seems I managed to hit just about every depressing negative disempowering quest in a row in my first playthrough to the Fake Pass quest after which I deleted the game.

I deleted because I was pissed off but decided to give is another chance since really there isn't anything else even remotely playable out there.

Reinstalling and directly updating to 1.04 and not mapping dodge and roll to the M4 and M5 fixed 99% of the gameplay issues for me. Could you imagine how pissed off you would be trying to beat enemies when Geralt doesn't dodge and roll in the intended direction 60% of the time. When fixed I find combat rather elegant and incredibly skill oriented. Plan right and master the controls and it flows beautifully ...... don't and even a Nekker can kill you.

I played my first Wild Hunt BOSS battle and it certainly had issues, but it was much better than most contrived console BOSS battles. Needs tweaking as your mage companion needs a shield spell and more frequent magic attacks to make it believable that the Wild Hunt warrior wouldn't eat her in one hit. Also ..... 3 times was just too much and made the whole thing tedious. Only put 2nd and 3rd waves in if they are significantly different than the first. You are not fooling anyone who would bother with the PC version and many who wouldn't.

1st WH wave = fun and interesting
2nd WH wave = OK but getting sloggy, perfectly OK if the BOSS does something totally different and we can save
3rd WH wave = OMG and can't believe the dev could make such a noob mistake .... this isn't adding anything to the game only subtracting OMG I died and I have to slog through that again? Am I being paid for this?

I can also see that it also seems ProjectCD custom designed White Orchard to piss me off:

1) Stupid warlords I have to serve
2) Dogs and wolves attacking constantly
3) Forced choices then other choices could have been much more satisfying
4) Repellent NPCs

Fortunately I just had some bad luck
For 1) I will just suck it up ProjectCD seems obsessed with Monarchy and war .... too bad
For 2) At least you can avoid and outrun dogs and wolves and the main quest didn't force me to kill them like the Griffon. Actually you can outrun all of the enemies and they are nicely un-scaled which make the world so much more interesting and they enemies that way outlevel you are marked. Very good implementation.
For 3) W3 needs more choices to make it a masterpiece ..... but chapter 2 is better with much more freedom. I am debating whether to visit the Baron and hope that I am not force to.
For 4) On my second playthrough I found a few more NPCs I liked in White Orchard

Really in the current software and hardware landscape ... really choice is the only thing ProjectCD needs to improve on .... satisfying choice.
Graphics = at the point of diminishing returns
Face and character models = already superb .... what more could you ask for
Combat = some polishing needed but really only truly destructible environments could improve and better AI. Hardware is not there yet.
Choice = this has lagged far behind other gaming aspects in all games making players into sheep.

And ProjectCD even managed to get the magically appearing enemies right. In one area a whole pile of drowners attacked when I touched a chest. It was obviously scripted but it worked because there were many obvious places the Drowners could have been hiding. Most devs just make them appear out of thin air. So far W3 has been a remarkably fair game with few cheap dev tricks. They got so much right in this game ..... make an enhanced edition with more choice and W3 may stand the test of time and be sold 20 years from now on Steam still for 20$. Making some 1/2 baked DLCs won't make the game better .... but fully baked DLC is another story.

There's freedom versus storytelling in every RPG.

The more character you give to a person, the BETTER the story is.

But it has costs.

Some people are like, "Why can't I just leave Fereldan to the Blight?"

Because DO YOU WANT TO GAME OR NOT?

:)

You can't have enldless choices.

Otherwise the game would be a "make-your-own-adventure" game a la Skyrim and would have less story and character depth, simple as that.
Or the game would have taken 3 more years and CDPR would have gone bankrupt before finishing it. What do you think they are? Machines?

Top Bottom