Roll/Run in combat problem

+
Roll/Run in combat problem

On a PC using an Xbox 360 controller. My problem is the controller button that is roll in combat is also run in exploration. Sometimes if I am in combat against a large opponent I can intend to roll but instead it runs. I don't think this ever happens when I am right next to the opponent. But it can happen when I have the sword drawn, have traded a few blows and I am at a distance from the opponent where I am not quite sure if they are within range of my own sword. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that the game decides if I am in combat or exploration based on how close the nearest opponent is. If that is true then maybe a larger distance would solve it for me. It may be based on something else. Also the option to remap controller buttons on the PC would solve it.

The reason this is a problem is that a very large opponent can have a longer reach than I have. So running won't get me out of range quick enough when I see them winding up for a big swing. Since I am not sure if pressing the button will run or roll until I do it, it means a drawn out fight against a large monster can get frustrating.

I didn't post this in the PC section because I was interested if console users saw something similar.

No mention of which monsters because I wanted to avoid spoilers. I did search for a thread about this already. I could avoid this completely by using keyboard and mouse but in a long fight I am getting my fingers stiffening up and that was what I wanted to avoid by using the controller.

Thanks for that. That would be embarrassing. I gave it a quick test making an effort to using as quick button presses as possible and it did seem to roll completely reliably. I wouldn't of said I was holding the button but presumably the difference between a press and hold is more sensitive than I thought. I'll see if I can control the sensitivity somehow. Thanks very much and sorry for the noise.

Just a thought after reading, in my experience the major determining factor between combat mode and exploration mode is whether you are locked onto an enemy or not. Not locked on = exploration mode and locked on = combat mode. I wish it was different because I often get sniped by archers that are too far away to be locked onto, so I have to rush them, lock on, and hope I don't get picked off too many times. Alternatively I have noticed that if you swing your sword combat mode engages for a brief moment. In your case though locking onto the enemy should allow you to roll instead of run.
I wish combat mode was tied to whether your sword is out or not and/or the lock on radius was increased... at least to allow you to lock onto archers that can hit you.

Cheers YC. I am definitely locked on. This is only really an issue with one particular type of monster and if I wasn't locked on He'd be between the camera and me and all sorts of odd positions because of how long the fight is, if I wasn't.

I had thought the same thing about sword drawn as you but making an effort to be really snappy with the roll button is solving it for me.

Top Bottom