Votes: 75 41.4%
  • I didn't read the books and I chose Yennefer

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I read the books and I chose neither of the two

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • I didn't the books and I chose neither of the two

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Ah again. Ok. I'll explain what the problem is and why this better not turn into a Yen vs Triss thread.

The game being a continuation of books is not the problem because you're playing a game. The separation issue won't hold a candle with amnesia issue, since separation was long... what 2 years maybe.
So, Triss romance is not forbid and you can go with her. Yen romance is not forbid and you can go with her. Ciri romance is not forbid and you can go with her.
Of course books are the past and W3 is an RPG, so it makes you choose who you want.

Here's the problem though. Book people who chose Yen had to justify that the magic is not gone for them and so they stick with their preference and the books. (and, between us, the line "magic's gone" made a lot of people think that G-Y relationship was only the fruit of a djinn spell but I don't even start on this matter, but this is not what I am talking about right now, however if you are curious just check the end of the post*).

What.

Then we have book/non book people who chose Triss. Usually this splits into 2 branches:

- I like Triss more, it's my preference. I actually care about her character development (books and/or games) and not only sugar and chill with her.
Yes. I love you guys, you are real fans.

- G-Y love was not real and SO my choice of Triss is completely justified in the game.
No. My friend you can easily say you like Triss more and go for it, it's not necessary to bring books (??) to support your choice in this case. I mean you prefer Triss. Just please, don't "bash" her too because you like more sugar and chill instead of her character development. Okay, have a nice game.

Make your choices. Don't bash people. Don't bash the books. Play and have fun.

*Bonus, don't open this spoiler unless you have a great deal of irony inside you.
Credits to @Wasaabii28

Last edited:
I read every book and was determined to choose Yen from the start. Though I have to admit I did hesitate when I had to say goodbye to Triss, I did feel bad about it since both in the books and games you stablish a relationship with her that is very strong. It was hard, that's what I was meaning to say.

Anyway, when it came to making the choices I tried putting myself in Geralt's shoes or put him in mine, I don't really know. I'll try to explain: I had an ex, we were always coming back together and splitting up again for stupid reasons. So last summer we were speaking again and fighting (as always), but we were back together in a way, though not officially... On the other hand there was my "best friend" with whom I was going out, and she was great fun and I really cared about her, but I didn't care about her in the same way I cared for my ex, true my relationship with my ex had it's ups and downs but I loved that, I loved her. As for my best friend I loved her in another way... In the end, I still speak with my best friend, and we still hang out and I still care for her, but now we just treat each other like friends. I have to admit I did not want to choose haha but I had to and I feel Geralt went through the same thing, in his case my "ex" was his Yen, and my "best friend" was Triss.

Now this is just my way of seing things, choosing Triss is a totally valid option, and I don't judge any who chose her. I just couldn't bring myself to do it for what I said above.

Cheers! :cheers3:

People who read the books will of course mostly choose Yennefer and people who only played TW1/TW2 will mostly choose Triss. The newcomers are probably divided.

Just have in mind this pool (and any involving Triss and Yennefer here) will not actually say anything, you will get a better vision if you read the comments, these are the ones who we should pay attention, people create fake accounts just to change a pool's result through the web and i don't doubt it that this would happen here, i even risk to say that "people" will choose "I read the books and I chose Triss" or "I didn't read the books and I chose Yennefer" just to support their waifu and not actually voting with the truth ;)

IDK, there are not so much moral dilemmas which appeal to Geralt's memories in first two games.

How about the subject of this particular thread ?

Edit: voted the second option (Triss without reading the books first)

Last edited:
Played W1 then W2, read some of the books, played W3, read more, still missing the last two.

I choose Quiet.

I mean, I choose Triss. To be fair though, with my "infatuation" mostly gone and the benefit of hindsight, it might be time to finally to a real Yen playthrough and judge it fairly. Back then, and I'm not trying to ressurect an old thread just stating what when on in my head at the time, the lack of interactions with Triss clouded my mind with its fair share of negativity, which found it's mark on the figure of Yennefer and gave me "metagaming" reasons for disliking her.

As it stands now however, both choices are really appealing and there are things to admire in both of them. I was going to suggest making a mix of their traits and you get the perfect woman but then I remembered W1, so I guess it doesn't work like that.

I think the order in which you're doing those things is quite important as well- if you play the games first you get a certain image of those characters which..may not be exactly the same in the books

Those who play the games first get the image the games are trying to present from the point of view of a main character who has amnesia. There is also nothing wrong with the games making some changes compared to the books.

Read the books & picked Triss. Think she is perfect fit for Geralt & fantastic romantic journey over course of trilogy & didn't need to be bound by the prior relationship established by Sapkowski.

I read all the books and I choose Fringilla.
Yen is too extreme with her Come here, go away attitude for me.
Triss stood idle while the lodge used and conspired against Geralt and Ciri.

Wether its heartbreak or proffesional pride that hurts Fringilla when Geralt leaves, I don't know.
But he seemed happiest with her.

There should be another option, 'I didn't read the books or play W1 & W2 and I chose [INSERT WAIFU NAME]'. That would definitely be the case for me (chose Yen btw), and I'm sure for a lot of people who never heard of the Witcher until all those gamer YouTube channels started talking hype about Assassins of Kings around 2013-2014, but still didn't bother to pick up W2.

I'm generally a visual kinda guy, anti-books, watched LOTR, Harry Potter and several other book-based movies without bothering to check out the original source material before or after watching those movies. But I was so impressed by W3 that I craved to know more about Geralt, and from having only finished reading 3 novels in 25 years of life, I've finished reading 4 Witcher books (Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt) in the last two Months or so after completing the game.

From someone with zero knowledge on the books and previous two games, it's pretty much 50/50, coming down to whether you like black or red-heads. I think the fact the it was leaked very early on that choosing both would lead to a very crappy ending also had some influence on the choice for first time players. But after reading the first 4 books, I'm currently leaning on Yen. Correct me if I'm wrong, considering I've got 3 books left to read (also, not trying to start a waifu war here), but up to Time of Contempt at least, from what I've read there is no indication of Geralt liking Triss anymore than a friend (when he's mind isn't manipulated). Does this change in the final 3 books? or is the Geralt-Triss romance something created for the games?

Does this change in the final 3 books? or is the Geralt-Triss romance something created for the games?

No it doesn't.Actually Geralt and Triss have no interactions in the books after Time of Contempt.Their romance only happens in the games.

I'm generally a visual kinda guy, anti-books, watched LOTR, Harry Potter and several other book-based movies without bothering to check out the original source material before or after watching those movies. But I was so impressed by W3 that I craved to know more about Geralt, and from having only finished reading 3 novels in 25 years of life, I've finished reading 4 Witcher books (Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt) in the last two Months or so after completing the game.

I read all the books long time ago, before 1st game was created. But it did not affected my choice, I love Yen as a character and would pick her anytime.

Top Bottom