Romance and Sex in The Witcher 3

+
Building relationships in TW3 is way more complex than in TW2. When it comes to romancing, we put a lot of effort to make it non-linear, and we require some effort from the player.

You may build friendship, you may build romantic relationship, you'll be used and you can use the girls if you want to. Choices have consequences.

You may have meaningless sex, but love is not easy. Want her to love you? Try to understand her needs first, don't hurt her feelings, take care of her. It's a long process. And we have "let's talk about us" chats, but they are always part of the story.

I belive we did it right. :)

does fulfilling her needs mean killings lots of monsters or something?

"I fulfill my needs differently." [Ves]

Nothing sillier in video games than when you have sex with someone and then the relationship doesn't really go any further (I'm looking at you BioWare). After that whenever you talk to the person or are with them it's either a repeat conversation or it seems no different than if there was no relationship. I know every possible hook up can't be fleshed out (especially one time deals), but the main ones should. Sex shouldn't be the final goal. Both Witcher games did well on this for the main relationship.

Last edited:
Nothing sillier in video games than when you have sex with someone and then the relationship doesn't really go any further (I'm looking at you BioWare). After that whenever you talk to the person or are with them it's either a repeat conversation or it seems no different than if there was no relationship. I know every possible hook up can't be fleshed out (especially one time deals), but the main ones should. Sex shouldn't be the final goal. Both Witcher games did well on this for the main relationship.

Bioware I think did it with humor. The ones I truly felt were realistic and had strongest connections to actual life for me included, the short haired blonde character in Witcher 2 (Ves), the Elf I saved the life of, and maybe once in a while Triss, and even the one that couldn't be (Shani). Sometimes the dialog and turnout really hit home with certain things that happened.

There was more to each involvement than I ever had in Bioware titles, I mean Dragon age came closer, but still... What I liked here is the fact it wasn't always something, in life sex sometimes never should become relations, and vice versa, but it is life.

Last edited:
Bioware I think did it with humor. The ones I truly felt were realistic and had strongest connections to actual life for me included, the short haired blonde character in Witcher 2 (Ves), the Elf I saved the life of, and maybe once in a while Triss, and even the one that couldn't be (Shani). Sometimes the dialog and turnout really hit home with certain things that happened.

There was more to each involvement than I ever had in Bioware titles, I mean Dragon age came closer, but still... What I liked here is the fact it wasn't always something, in life sex sometimes never should become relations, and vice versa, but it is life.

I believe Inquisition is getting better at this.

SPOILERS!!!!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BMyA3NgP18

I believe Inquisition is getting better at this.

SPOILERS!!!!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BMyA3NgP18

It's still way too G rated (Not G ratings of 1978 however, that film had more nudity & was from DISNEY). As for the personal preferences, even though not of my own interest, I will still speak up.

Don't keep it today's Disney level (The film I'm speaking of Disney censored the hell out of later, and on DVD & Blu-Ray), thanks. I like my games rated M.

Now dialog, I do see improvement in, and I say that as a reader and writer myself.

Last edited:
Become a writer. We make people suffer, we make people cry, sometimes they are angry and we never care. ;)

Ah, I don't believe you. Certainly inside you are a caring human being and deeply feel for your characters...
don't deny it :scold: :p

Neil_Gaiman said:
Writers are liars, my dear, surely you know that by now?
And yet, things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.

Never trust a Storyteller, only trust the Story. ;)

Never trust a Storyteller, only trust the Story. ;)

Well, I'm still friends with one who could tell some stories, she visited here a while back, hehe. ;) Though, she and I are just, ehem 'friends' now, with all respect.

Not always a terrible outcome though, and life goes on. ^.~

I'd love additional writers on the CDPR team though, I cannot deny that, I myself; I doubt could write like they do, I just have real life stories to tell. :)

Last edited:
That's why I love the Witcher games. You have choices in the game, do meaningless sex or build love with a woman (and then have sex).
Does Geralt get extra bonus points or stats for doing this ? Or perhaps the woman get extra stats?

Building relationships in TW3 is way more complex than in TW2. When it comes to romancing, we put a lot of effort to make it non-linear, and we require some effort from the player.

You may build friendship, you may build romantic relationship, you'll be used and you can use the girls if you want to. Choices have consequences.

You may have meaningless sex, but love is not easy. Want her to love you? Try to understand her needs first, don't hurt her feelings, take care of her. It's a long process. And we have "let's talk about us" chats, but they are always part of the story.

I belive we did it right. :)

What would you like in the Romance of The Witcher 3?

How would you like them to be developed Romance in The Witcher 3 ??We would like the return of romance cards?

It would be interesting for you to see in the game developing romance with Triss or Jennefer ??

I'd be curious to know your opinions :)

TW2 would be my best choice. Loved the romances there. Just no with the cards....
Triss all the way for me.

Hm, I'd like a mixture of developing a relationship by actually interacting with the characters we can romance and having them frequently be a part of our quests so we can make "more informed" decisions on who we like more, etc. Ex. Triss & Yen are both part of a quest, both offer different solutions and we can make a choice between one or the other (really, really generic example).

We should definitely see the impact of our relationship with our interest(s) in our quests as well imo. Ex. If we like Yen and the game registers that because of decisions we made earlier in the game, they should have additional or unique dialogue or choices we can make within a quest.

But what we get is what we'll get. :)

Edit - Added examples.

Last edited:
Hm, I'd like a mixture of developing a relationship by actually interacting with the characters we can romance and having them frequently be a part of our quests so we can make "more informed" decisions on who we like more, etc.

We should definitely see the impact of our relationship with our interest(s) in our quests as well imo.

But what we get is what we'll get. :)

I too would like. Especially I would like to see an evolution of what we saw in the first Witcher; choice between the two women who love and vie Geralt, development of plot and missions based on the same, romantic adventures, etc.etc. :)

I fear that there will be very little from this point of view, if not some cutscene.

Top Bottom