Romance and Sex in The Witcher 3

+
What's funny is that all one needs to do in order to build a plausible argument for a Geralt/Ciri relationship is point to Hartigan and Nancy in Sin City.

Anyway, the less Ciri that's in the game, the better, as far as I'm concerned. And I certainly could do without a romance option there, it's not what that character's role in Geralt's story is. Plus, I honestly don't think games as a medum are mature enough yet to properly tackle such issues. Even normal romances are cringeworthy atm, TW being no exception.

Last edited:
What's funny is that all one needs to do in order to build a plausible argument for a Geralt/Ciri relationship is point to Hartigan and Nancy in Sin City.
An old man dies, a young girl lives. Fair trade.

Anyway, Hartigan and Nancy had not a father-daughter relationship since the beiginning, or at least, it was only for Hartigan after all the mess since she was the only person who really cared for him. He did his job saving the girl from being raped. Then they built that relationship more like a father-daughter one, but I'm not so sure it was.
Then... Nancy loved him, more than that. Hartigan was like "I could be your father", and the only succeful romance was that kiss, since he avoided all the rest.

So I think Hartigan - Nancy (a bit unhealthy) is different from Geralt - Ciri, even for building a plausible argument.

Anyway, Hartigan and Nancy had not a father-daughter relationship since the beiginning, or at least, it was only for Hartigan after all the mess since she was the only person who really cared for him. He did his job saving the girl from being raped. Then they built that relationship more like a father-daughter one, but I'm not so sure it was.
Then... Nancy loved him, more than that. Hartigan was like "I could be your father", and the only succeful romance was that kiss, since he avoided all the rest.

So I think Hartigan - Nancy (a bit unhealthy) is different from Geralt - Ciri, even for building a plausible argument.

This would indeed be a good comparison. Right from the beginning Ciri had contradicting feelings about Geralt being her father or something like her future lover because she repeated constantly ,even in the end, that she was promised to him. There were many passages in the books hinting that Ciri has more feelings for Geralt than a normal daughter should have. So Sapkowski intended this kind of conflict in her. Also Yennefer saw a rival in her first. Though this changed throughout the story.

The salient point is that Geralt never had romantic feelings towards her. And there was never a clue that this would ever change. Even if she has grown up. She was always/ and should stay his daughter.

This.
I mean, just imagine this:
"Look Ciri, please forget about Cintra, Kaer Morhen, Shaerrawedd, Thanedd, Ellander, Yenn, Triss..Forget about Vilgefortz, Stefan Skellen, Bonhart, Emhyr, Rats...Forget about Elder blood, Aen Elle, Dearg Ruadhri, Law of Surprise and all other nonsense...You see, I was just waiting for you to grow up, so we can fuck."
:sick::sick:
this is what Bioware would actually write if they were making this game
This is what happens when you make Ciri the most beautiful character in the game, compared to Yennefer and Triss.
That's certainly a problem

This would indeed be a good comparison. Right from the beginning Ciri had contradicting feelings about Geralt being her father or something like her future lover because she repeated constantly ,even in the end, that she was promised to him. There were many passages in the books hinting that Ciri has more feelings for Geralt than a normal daughter should have. So Sapkowski intended this kind of conflict in her. Also Yennefer saw a rival in her first. Though this changed throughout the story.

The salient point is that Geralt never had romantic feelings towards her. And there was never a clue that this would ever change. Even if she has grown up. She was always/ and should stay his daughter.
You're not the first person thinking this actually, but for me Ciri never had love "interest" for Geralt, it was a child love to her father. It's not that love, rather a kind of family love, I'm not sure I'm being very clear. When she said she was promised to him, that was not a marriage or something.
I know you are referring to what Yennefer and Nenneke said, but the sorceress never saw in her a rival as a lover, but a new person whom Geralt's attention draws to.

Maybe Sapkowski truly intended something else, but I never thought something different than father-daughter strong love, as I said to a couple of friends who asked me this after reading Blood of Elves.

:p

Well, what I meant was giving an example of a very similar situation where this is handled well, without it being as outlandish as some people here make it out to be. Of course, there are differences, there's also the Yennefer element etc.

But yeah, personally, I do not think a Geralt/Ciri relationship should or even could happen, I'm just pointing out that it's possible to make it work and have the story's moral complexity benefit from it, rather than it being nothing more than something completely evil and filthy. It's certainly an iffy subject, but the witcher's is an iffy world.

Well, what I meant was giving an example of a very similar situation where this is handled well, without it being as outlandish as some people here make it out to be. Of course, there are differences, there's also the Yennefer element etc.

But yeah, personally, I do not think a Geralt/Ciri relationship should or even could happen, I'm just pointing out that it's possible to make it work and have the story's moral complexity benefit from it, rather than it being nothing more than something completely evil and filthy. It's certainly an iffy subject, but the witcher's is an iffy world.
Though agreeing on what you have said about differences and that this relationship should never happen... yes witcherland is an iffy world but there are people with moral sense, like Geralt, and Ciri too (at least about this).

Though agreeing on what you have said about differences and that this relationship should never happen... yes witcherland is an iffy world but there are people with moral sense, like Geralt, and Ciri too (at least about this).

I'd argue that Hartigan didn't lack moral sense about it either but I actually don't want to, because I don't disagree with your points. Just some food for thought.

You're not the first person thinking this actually, but for me Ciri never had love "interest" for Geralt, it was a child love to her father. It's not that love, rather a kind of family love, I'm not sure I'm being very clear. When she said she was promised to him, that was not a marriage or something.
I know you are referring to what Yennefer and Nenneke said, but the sorceress never saw in her a rival as a lover, but a new person whom Geralt's attention draws to.

Maybe Sapkowski truly intended something else, but I never thought something different than father-daughter strong love, as I said to a couple of friends who asked me this after reading Blood of Elves.

:p

Sure but Ciri had a father. A real father who she knew. It would be a total different thing if she was just an orphan. And far more clear thing that Geralt was never more than a man who adopted a parentless child. And the law of surprise doesn’t make it better, at least for me.
One could argue that Geralt was a mentor which she strongly admired. It would be a typical mentor/apprentice relationship with a physical component. But as I said before, Geralt never had romantic feelings towards her.
For me she couldn’t separate those feelings at the beginning but overcome them in the end.

But I’m also on the train that she shouldn’t be a romance option. CDPR maybe did a disservice making her as pretty as she is. There will be whole hordes crying for her as romance option. :smiling:

But I’m also on the train that she shouldn’t be a romance option. CDPR maybe did a disservice making her as pretty as she is. There will be whole hordes crying for her as romance option. :smiling:

Well, with her being a playable character, perhaps they have something else in store for those hordes...

Ugh, I just wish she'd go away, really. Goddamn Ciri. But that's a different topic entirely, not to be discussed in this thread.

Oh yes!

When a little girl sees her father like her hugest love there'll be sex there!!

@Dystopia90 biological father doesn't mean true father when a chid has been adopted.

Last edited:
Well, with her being a playable character, perhaps they have something else in store for those hordes...

Ugh, I just wish she'd go away, really. Goddamn Ciri. But that's a different topic entirely, not to be discussed in this thread.

Make a new thread then: Goddamn Ciri! I have enough of your bullsh*t!

This would turn the forum on fire like a new downgraded thread.;D

You could maybe hope that there will be a mod released with the red kit erasing her playable part.

Sure but Ciri had a father. A real father who she knew. It would be a total different thing if she was just an orphan. And far more clear thing that Geralt was never more than a man who adopted a parentless child. And the law of surprise doesn’t make it better, at least for me.
One could argue that Geralt was a mentor which she strongly admired. It would be a typical mentor/apprentice relationship with a physical component. But as I said before, Geralt never had romantic feelings towards her.
For me she couldn’t separate those feelings at the beginning but overcome them in the end.
Without going into spoiler territory, Ciri always said that she didn't remember her father at all, So we can say that Geralt was a true father for her. :p

There will be whole hordes crying for her as romance option. :smiling:
Just because she is prettier than Yen and Triss...
Look, I won't even express my thoughts and feelings about this and those hordes, I'm afraid I could be very, very rude. :teeth:

Without going into spoiler territory, Ciri always said that she didn't remember her father at all, So we can say that Geralt was a true father for her. :p

Don't worry I read all the books. But you have a point there.

Look, I won't even express my thoughts and feelings about this and those hordes, I'm afraid I could be very, very rude. :teeth:

:sofa: :teeth:

---------- Updated at 01:18 PM ----------

Oh yes!

When a little girl sees her father like her hugest love there'll be sex there!!

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=2035083" target="_blank">Dystopia90</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> biological father doesn't mean true father when a chid has been adopted.

Look, Synvael, I'm gonna need you to express those thoughts and feelings.

I am not that pissed over people thinking about the possibility of a Geralt/Ciri relationship.

I am more pissed about people who would let Geralt choose Triss over Yennefer, hehehehe

Look, Synvael, I'm gonna need you to express those thoughts and feelings.
Is that necessary?

Top Bottom