Romance Endings + DLC's

+
Hello guys, I don't know if this was already posted, but I started playing the game recently. I started to play the series last year with the first game and fell in love with the series as a whole.
The thing for me is, is strange in this game that the game kind of directs you towards the Yennefer romance all the time, but with you take the dlc's in considerations, it seems that the Triss endings makes more sense. I get that may be because when the developers did the epilogue scenes, they didn't have thought of the dlc's, but still.
With the Triss ending, it's said that Geralt still lived like a Witcher doing contracts from time to time, so it would make sense for him to go for Touissant. In the Yennefer ending, it's said that they retired and spent all day long walking and talking with each other, so why would he go to Toussaint, Yennefer say to him in the ending that now she doesn't know what to do anymore, that a couple of weeks back, she realized she has nothing to do anymore, but that souldn't have happened 3 year ago? It could be said that the epilogue takes place after de dlc but when you romance Triss, Geralt says he will GO BACK to Kovir with her.
I got really confused with this, was this perhaps a oversight from the developers?
Just for the record, i like way more the ending with Yennefer, enven the ending in BaW, the dialogue between them seems more natural.

Last edited:
I think the Epilogue takes place after the DLC. I read the Triss ending as she was asking Geralt if he was still planning on going to Kovir with her when he's finished in Toussaint? And then Corvo is like their summer house or something? I don't know why you would still want to move to the freezing cold in Kovir when you have that massive estate in beautiful wine country... but that's just me I guess.

If you read the books, you'll understand why it has to be Yen anyway, and probably why the game steers you in that direction.

I think the Epilogue takes place after the DLC. I read the Triss ending as she was asking Geralt if he was still planning on going to Kovir with her when he's finished in Toussaint? And then Corvo is like their summer house or something? I don't know why you would still want to move to the freezing cold in Kovir when you have that massive estate in beautiful wine country... but that's just me I guess.

If you read the books, you'll understand why it has to be Yen anyway, and probably why the game steers you in that direction.

Woah there buddy.. With personal preferences aside, what you just said there is plain wrong. Reading books in no way makes Yen the only option in the game, unless you wish to say your interpretation of story is the only one correct? Witcher 1, Witcher 2, Witcher 3 are a trilogy and adaptation of the books, and with all things said and done give way for Triss romance ending.

Old man and the book purists horde don't like it? Well too bad because Andrzej Sapkowski sold creative rights to CD Projekt Red for events in the Witcher series after his books, and they clearly didin't make any such statement such as yours.

i think that endings in B&W could've been handled better, great expansion in my mind but a poor closure for the trilogy, such a shame.

I think you may have misunderstood me and apologies for my assertive tone. I in no way meant to insinuate that my interpretation was the right one, it's anything but black and white (pun intended).

I don't really want to turn this into a Yen vs Triss discussion thread, so I won't go there.... alright fine I will. For the record, I prefer Triss, I think she's way cooler, but she got in too late. It was fake love, the only reason they were together was because she manipulated him, several times. This is demonstrated in the games, and the books. It's always been Yen and always will be.

Hello, friends! (Puts a marshmallow round in the wall. Big splat mark.) I hope we all remember that discussions of opinion are neither right nor wrong, and that everyone is welcome to their interpretations. I carry this hope with me constantly.

Yeah, the epilogue can be after the DLC's, but it's kind of strange to me, it's seems to me, that the epilogue says in a way that Geralt finnaly settled down, either with Yennefer or Triss (even if he does ocasional contracts in this ending, he still lives with her), so to me, it doesn't makes sense from a storytelling point of view, that only 3 years after the main game's ending, is when Geralt will finnaly "retire". It just looks kind of strange and a tille off from what they say in every dialogue in the "3 Act" of the game, with either one of them, and when Geralt meets them in the DLC's ending, it seems like they haven't seen each other in a long time, so it kind of breaks that closure feeling of the romance the main game has . I think that the main reason for this is quite simple, when the devs finished the game, they didn't have this DLC with this story in mind, it was realeased a year after the main game, so by that time, they had to come with a conclusion for the story without the DLC's involved.
On the Yen x Triss discussion, I really like both characters, Yen for the books and the way that Sapkowski writes their romance, kind of like their love is grater than time, space and legends, that's why they lived forever together in the afterlife; and the way he really cares for Geralt in the books, making the contractors pay more than they would, letting Geralt lend money with her warrant of paying back even if Geralt couldn't, this is a part where I think they didn't show enough on the game, only a few times in Skellige and in the Last Wish mission, not to say her relationship with Ciri, which in the books it's "bigger" than Ciri's relationship with Geralt. But I think this is duo to the fact that you have a choice of love interest, unlike the books.
Triss on the other hand, I really liked how CDPR developed her charcter in the games, they understood her character and made a very interesting growth arch in the games, by the time the game takes places, she is very different from her book counterpart. But I think that her pernsonality doesn't match Geralt all that well. Putting plane and simple: Triss looks like Geralt's girlfriend, in the first years of a relationship, and Yen looks like wis wife, showing that they care deeply from one another, but at the same time, they like to make fun of each other very often, it just suits the charcters better, but that just my opinion, of course.

IMO it only makes sense for Geralt to stay in Toussaint in one of the possible endings (the best one). In all the others, Geralt faces all sorts of problems and has an unpleasant time there. Why would he want to stay? He even doesn't like the attention from winning the tourney very much.

With regards to Yennefer, I was only able to get her to show any sort of emotion when I made Geralt break up with her so he could be with Triss, so my choice was obvious...

IMO it only makes sense for Geralt to stay in Toussaint in one of the possible endings (the best one). In all the others, Geralt faces all sorts of problems and has an unpleasant time there. Why would he want to stay? He even doesn't like the attention from winning the tourney very much.

(Pardon the sarcasm while I poke this -- I just can't resist :p : )

Oh, YEAH...life has been MUCH better for him everywhere ELSE he's gone. I mean, VELEN is so lovely year round. KAER MORHEN harbors no ill memories or anything, and it's cozy enough while the ROOF HOLDS. Maybe he can settle down in NOVIGRAD with DJIKSTRA and the bloody clerics of the ETERNAL FIRE.

Aw, you know, toss it all, he should just head back to BLAVIKEN and see if things have settled down...

Definitely frig the chateau and vineyards in the fertile lands around Toussaint. Just hellish.

Oh, YEAH...life has been MUCH better for him everywhere ELSE he's gone. I mean, VELEN is so lovely year round. KAER MORHEN harbors no ill memories or anything, and it's cozy enough while the ROOF HOLDS. Maybe he can settle down in NOVIGRAD with DJIKSTRA and the bloody clerics of the ETERNAL FIRE.

Aw, you know, toss it all, he should just head back to BLAVIKEN and see if things have settled down...

Definitely frig the chateau and vineyards in the fertile lands around Toussaint. Just hellish.

Because Geralt ploughed all the women over the years, and now he gets to plough the Toussaint fields? ... bruh lmao
Speaking of other places.. They say Kovir's lovely this time of year. ;)

LOL good point.

I wanted to imply that Kovir would have been a better choice than Toussaint, but Geralt has a rough time everywhere. Even though I love Novigrad, it gets old when every other Redanian guard spits on me whenever I'm there.

I think all that's left for Geralt is to stay on the Path, then. Although Skellige does have a couple peaceful isles!

Top Bottom