Romance in this game is horrendous. [Spoilers]

+
As much as I dig Panam (being Nomad and all), I really wanted to romance Claire.

Claire (although understandable why she isn't romanceable), Takemura, Joss, Evelyn, Saul, Rogue (... I'm talking about V here), and the list goes on.

I just really liked the characters, okay?

As much as I dig Panam (being Nomad and all), I really wanted to romance Claire.
maybe in the future, they will have microtransactions in the form of brain dances where you can request a selected romantic session with the character of your choice regardless of gender and sexual preference.

talk about making some real money from the eddies lol. I will have to look up Claire.

So the battle from Dragon Age 2 continues.

Do video games go the "realistic" route and create NPCs who have their own sexual orientation?

Or do they go the unrealistic route and make all the NPCs Bi/Pan/Playersexual in order to make the players happy?

I can see the positives and negatives for both. Overall though, I am fine with NPCs having their own developed personality and preferences. Maybe what would have benefited the game (and I guess the player) more is if they had more romance options to choose from.
I think either is a good way to go but you’ve got to do it well - otherwise don’t put romance in at all.

1. Your character of choice for romance should be the only one that calls you by your full name after the start of the relationship.

No no no no. I don't want anyone calling my character Vincent. Goodness that's an awful name. I think I know why V prefer V instead of his real name.

Or at least don't call them romances. Call it hookups or something if it's so shallow it's literally just one button press that leads to a sex scene.

does make me wonder if it’s all by design that the romance encounters are all so hollow and unfulfilling.

you know, all part of the superficial despair in the CP world? No meaningful connections?

does make me wonder if it’s all by design that the romance encounters are all so hollow and unfulfilling.

you know, all part of the superficial despair in the CP world? No meaningful connections?
I disagree. I think the romance in this game is done well. I do think it's too short and more padding before and after the romance is "complete" would be most welcome. But the romance that is in the game is good and is definitely making people feel things (as evidenced by this thread and many others).

No no no no. I don't want anyone calling my character Vincent. Goodness that's an awful name. I think I know why V prefer V instead of his real name.
Fair enough, I think what Trinixy is trying to say with that point is that regardless of what CDPR has set as the full name of the protagonist, only characters you become intimately close with can get to know that name. So the game should also let you choose between V or some other names beginning with V for the immersion. But this is hardly the biggest issue with the game.

I disagree. I think the romance in this game is done well. I do think it's too short and more padding before and after the romance is "complete" would be most welcome. But the romance that is in the game is good and is definitely making people feel things (as evidenced by this thread and many others).
I think what you mean to say is that the missions leading up to a successful romance are well written and they are. I LOVED Judy's romance and all the missions leading up to it, but AFTER I had completed her missions and successfully romanced her it all died so quick. Barely a text from her, just a few new dialogues exhausted very quickly that goes on repeat forever and still no physical interactions with their own dialogues. The romances are done well to a certain point, but don't call them finished products. For me and so many other people, a good romance that is with you all the way and always present in some way shape or form is what makes the greatest impact on a player's experience of the game as a whole. In Mass Effect I had to play around my choice of romance if I had any, and there was always some interaction, new dialogue as you progressed and just tons of little details that helped me get super immersed in the game.

I am NOT happy with having played such a great story line only to see it die like rotten fruit pretty much immediately as it finished leaving me with what..? A partner? Someone I can call to say the same 3 repeating lines to? Someone who just sits in their apartment doing nothing, being available for nothing?

So yes, the romances are nice and the missions are amazing, but AFTER that it sucks blazing donkey-cockles.

The random requirements in this game makes romance actual dogshit. Imagine not being allowed to participate with Panam simply because your character is female. You spend a hour or two doing everything right but then just get friend zoned because being a male isn't immersive for me. Honestly this left such a bad taste in my mouth that it ruined the game for me tonight. Dont put stupid restrictions that limits the players experience. Especially when there is already almost zero romance options. It sucks being a woman in this game.

Can't please everyone. Making everyone bi doesn't please everyone either, by the way, because it's cheap and makes the characters stop being characters and turns them into mission objectives.

Lol so people in cybperpunk have no meangful relationships because they don't have enough quests to progress them?

Interestingly made me think of each npc that you come into contact with you have a connection meter (so to speak) or relationship meter or experience bar. once the bar reaches a specific point, you can progress into a meaningful relationship. otherwise its a once over wham bam ty gramma lol

I think what you mean to say is that the missions leading up to a successful romance are well written and they are. I LOVED Judy's romance and all the missions leading up to it, but AFTER I had completed her missions and successfully romanced her it all died so quick. Barely a text from her, just a few new dialogues exhausted very quickly that goes on repeat forever and still no physical interactions with their own dialogues. The romances are done well to a certain point, but don't call them finished products. For me and so many other people, a good romance that is with you all the way and always present in some way shape or form is what makes the greatest impact on a player's experience of the game as a whole. In Mass Effect I had to play around my choice of romance if I had any, and there was always some interaction, new dialogue as you progressed and just tons of little details that helped me get super immersed in the game.

I am NOT happy with having played such a great story line only to see it die like rotten fruit pretty much immediately as it finished leaving me with what..? A partner? Someone I can call to say the same 3 repeating lines to? Someone who just sits in their apartment doing nothing, being available for nothing?

So yes, the romances are nice and the missions are amazing, but AFTER that it sucks blazing donkey-cockles.

That's what I meant by having more padding before and after the romance is complete. The romances are fantastic, but too short. Having more content, especially some more player initiated content post romance would do wonders.

I am a firm believer that CDPR should go full fan service and give us some romance/friendship DLC that is all about hanging out with our friends/LIs. That's it. No life or death missions, the missions are to chill and do something fun.

Braindance and chill.

Sucks being a straight dude when you despise everything about Panam but she is your central romance option.

So count your blessings, OP.

Seriously, my interactions with her are like:
"I'm just going to sit here next to you and look up at the sta..."
"I don't care. G'night choom."

I have to ask, "What don't you like about Panam?"

Also, what were you looking for in a romance?

While I'm all for more romance options, I have to say I'm a little confused because I think these are some of the deepest romances in all of gaming handled over multiple questlines [for the women at least] and aren't just Bioware "gift to fuck" which were still the biggest and best before.

I really wanted a romance with Evelyn who was a lot better suited for my corpo.

However, no way to rewrite the game for that. I do hope in the DLC they add a character who can be romanced by male and female Vs because a bi character or two would help make this game's choices less controversial.

Top Bottom