Romances are obviously designed by developers' prejudices and stereotypes!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unrealistic to have gays, straights, bisexuals! :coolstory:

I'm assuming that was in response to my message. I was saying it's unrealistic to make a straight character gay, or a gay character straight just because the player chose a male or female. You disagree with that?

Create the game you can, not a game you think others want.
If you dont know hot to accurately represent something, then get help from people who do.

Its not rocket science, and some people will get angry at anything.
Ultimately relationships, love, sex. Those are really personal things... you dont get to represent absolutely everyone out there with it, no matter what you do.

And in that sense, the game works okay. But reality is that in the Cyberpunk lore as in most trans-humanist lore being exclusively gay or exclusively straight is by far a minority, not the average status quo. Especially within the scene V is in.
So ofc going for "Yea this char is gay, this char is officially bi, but gay in our setting, and these two are straight. With not a single Bi-sexual option is... really weird as a choice considering the lore the game is based on.

Your fanfcitions is not "canon". Art isn't about representation, it's about expression. The audience doesn't get to decide what the artist expresses. Sexuality has never been what Cyberpunk as a genre is about, that's you inserting your own obsessions into it.

I'm assuming that was in response to my message. I was saying it's unrealistic to make a straight character gay, or a gay character straight just because the player chose a male or female. You disagree with that?
Well, on that we agree. Your post seemed to imply otherwise; that there shouldn't be gays or straights. But to act surprised and sad that Judy very early on shows she's strictly only into women and you still made the effort to romance her when she shuts you down twice. It's just... she's a lesbian man. While it's odd that the game gives you more than once the chance to flirt with her, you still kept flirting with her. What did you expect her to say? :shrug:

Also her asking you for help is not invitation to romance her.

You sound like a real fine gentleman. "Hey, I won't help you because you're not my girlfriend. Date me and I will help you out!" is not a good take, Chad. If you try to romance her, she does keep telling you "Don't try it" among other things. Whats insulting is that you were too deaf to take a hint.

"It's not a good take"? It's a video game - you can do worst things in it than not being chivalrous toward Judy. Wow, chill out. lol

Your fanfcitions is not "canon". Art isn't about representation, it's about expression. The audience doesn't get to decide what the artist expresses. Sexuality has never been what Cyberpunk as a genre is about, that's you inserting your own obsessions into it.
I'd argue that triple A games don't have the luxury to be about artistic expression. While there is plenty of art in them, at the end of the day they are product with he function to sell to consumers.
Indie companies on the other hand have a lot more freedom to use the medium for artistic expressions. Also art can still be criticised.

"It's not a good take"? It's a video game - you can do worst things in it than not being chivalrous toward Judy. Wow, chill out. lol
To me, it seems like the attitude goes a lot deeper than video games in your case. You wouldn't need to take it up on a forum if you were fine running around as a friend for someone.

I'd argue that triple A games don't have the luxury to be about artistic expression. While there is plenty of art in them, at the end of the day they are product with he function to sell to consumers.
Indie companies on the other hand have a lot more freedom to use the medium for artistic expressions. Also art can still be criticised.

Saying a character should be bi instead of gay is not criticism of the work, it's inserting your own desire into it.

Well, on that we agree. Your post seemed to imply otherwise; that there shouldn't be gays or straights. But to act surprised and sad that Judy very early on shows she's strictly only into women and you still made the effort to romance her when she shuts you down twice. It's just... she's a lesbian man. While it's odd that the game gives you more than once the chance to flirt with her, you still kept flirting with her. What did you expect her to say? :shrug:

Also her asking you for help is not invitation to romance her.

Jeez, you seemed to have misinterpreted my post from beginning to end, didn't ya? I clearly said that she didn't state that she was only into woman until the very last chapter of her story. I'm not blaming Judy's character for that - I'm blaming whichever developer wrote/programmed the scenario. They didn't make it clear early on that you had no chance as male V to romance her, and when they finally did, they kept giving you options to flirt - which is quite literally an invitation to romance her. But, keep acting like you have some type of moral high ground over me for how I played a videogame. You're fighting the good fight...

I don’t think it’s offensive.

but at best it’s another example of this being an u finished game.

at worst it’s lazy writing and character development.

my personal preference would be for some NPCs to be gay and others straight, others bi. Because in real life you may be attracted to someone but that doesn’t mean they’re going to be attracted to you.

but that detail must be 100% equal.

the real problem is the lack of options. Again - feels incomplete

Jeez, you seemed to have misinterpreted my post from beginning to end, didn't ya? I clearly said that she didn't state that she was only into woman until the very last chapter of her story. I'm not blaming Judy's character for that - I'm blaming whichever developer wrote/programmed the scenario. They didn't make it clear early on that you had no chance as male V to romance her, and when they finally did, they kept giving you options to flirt - which is quite literally an invitation to romance her. But, keep acting like you have some type of moral high ground over me for how I played a videogame. You're fighting the good fight...

She DID stated. Just because you're blind and decided to ignore VERY, VERY obvious hints it's no one's fault but your own.

Actually if you looked into various messages, and her only mentioning women.. you get the gist. Literally all her exes were women only. An old crush she mentions in the diving scene, Maiko was her ex, and possibly Evelyn too. You just decided to ignore the stuff she says. Or maybe you didn't see them which is also ok.

Everyone have flirt line choices, even Kerry and Panam. In Judy's case, her preferences show in the game if you pay attention to what she says.

I don't want them to change already existing character's sexuality. I want them to offer better alternatives.
This is the problem with making the love interests have such strictly defined preferences. How many love interests do you end up needing then? 4 (1 male and female straight 1 male and female gay) obviously isn't making people happy. Some male V's want Judy or River, some female V's want Panam instead of Judy, etc..

So what number is the right one? 8, 12, 20, 50? If it was monetarily and developmentally feasible, sure go ahead and make 50 fully developed love interests, I kinda doubt that is going to happen though. Wouldn't it be easier to offer the player the choice instead? This is about wise use of your resources to give the player the best experience possible. CDPR obviously didn't achieve that in this instance.

For me the relationships were a bonus in this game, because the main themes, for me, were always where the limits between being human and being a machine are, and how technology can corrupt people and make them behave and think more like machines - losing important values like hope, family, friendship to become pawns used by corporations that profits from this behavior and manipulates society by making them slaves by their own instincts.

That's why every product, show and music have a high level of empty beauty and sexualization, that's all a trick to make people work harder to fullfil these empty desires. People were slaves to their own instincts, like animals, or for religions, or gangs, or their own hate, psichiatrical problems and so on.

For me that's the richness of cyberpunk world. This corruption, mess, and planned chaos that burn and kill people from inside.

So, having friends and possibly some romance was a ray of light inside the dark world of cyberpunk 2077.

And for me, that was the highlight of the game.

She DID stated. Just because you're blind and decided to ignore VERY, VERY obvious hints it's no one's fault but your own.

Before the final chapter, where did she state that male V had no chance? The very first time I even had an option to flirt was when she invited me to go diving and was given the option to ask if it was a date. That's when she said "You're not my type, dude."

That's literally the start of her last side mission. Before that point, it was clear that she was into women, but that didn't mean she wasn't bisexual.

This is the problem with making the love interests have such strictly defined preferences. How many love interests do you end up needing then? 4 (1 male and female straight 1 male and female gay) obviously isn't making people happy. Some male V's want Judy or River, some female V's want Panam instead of Judy, etc..

So what number is the right one? 8, 12, 20, 50? If it was monetarily and developmentally feasible, sure go ahead and make 50 fully developed love interests, I kinda doubt that is going to happen though. Wouldn't it be easier to offer the player the choice instead? This is about wise use of your resources to give the player the best experience possible. CDPR obviously didn't achieve that in this instance.
I don't know. I think they simply need to make 4 equally well written characters. 6 if you wanna be bo inclusive. They already 4 and a half love interests in the game counting Meredith. The issue is, Judy and Panam were clearly given a lot more attention by the writers than River or Kerry were.

I didn't see "dating sim" in the descriptions of this game. Maybe the problem isn't the game, but what YOU want out of it.

I finished the game and saw almost all the endings, I haven't managed to play for over 1 hour straight without a crash on PS5 (not even talking about bugs), the game has little to none significant choices and one of the worst looting system I've ever experienced in 25 years of gaming, but the real problem is that we can't fuck all the NPCs and can't run with my ding dong out in the streets of night city.

I think we should really reconsider our priorities in gaming.

I didn't see "dating sim" in the descriptions of this game. Maybe the problem isn't the game, but what YOU want out of it.
I did see RPG in the description tho.
Post automatically merged:

I finished the game and saw almost all the endings, I haven't managed to play for over 1 hour straight without a crash on PS5 (not even talking about bugs), the game has little to no significant choices and one of the worst looting system I've ever experienced in 25 years of gaming, but the real problem is that I can't fuck all the NPCs and can't run with my ding dong out in the streets of night city.

I think we should really reconsider our priorities in gaming.
I had 0 gameplay issues. My priority is what I care about most, and that is the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom