Romances: the option to tell a character your V is gay / straight / whatever

+
I'm slowly making my way through the main story quests and have reached a moment where, given that my V is a gay man, I need to let Panam down gently. It's not the end of the world, but I do wish I had the option to tell her I'm not into girls -- without it it's making me feel guilty for stringing her along and, also, involuntarily closeted!

I'm slowly making my way through the main story quests and have reached a moment where, given that my V is a gay man, I need to let Panam down gently. It's not the end of the world, but I do wish I had the option to tell her I'm not into girls -- without it it's making me feel guilty for stringing her along and, also, involuntarily closeted!
Personally, during "Follow the River",
-It always pains me a bit to tell River it's just friendship at top of the water tower.
-It's worst during the diner, where i don't raise my hand (real awkward moment for me).
Also I have mixed feelings on the matter :)

Personally, during "Follow the River",
-It always pains me a bit to tell River it's just friendship at top of the water tower.
-It's worst during the diner, where i don't raise my hand (real awkward moment for me).
Also I have mixed feelings on the matter :)
Yeah, i hated the fact that i couldn't tell RIver that i was already in a relationship with Judy. I felt so bad for him. :cry:

This is why romance is so difficult to pull off in an RPG. So many people have so many different ways of wanting to handle it.

Here, again, I think we'd need to choose between cinematic presentation or text-based dialogue. While writing scenes like this wouldn't take all that much time to work out believably...rehearsing, performing, motion-capturing, editing, and working it into the game itself exponentially increases the time and cost. Hence, handling these things will likely be limited (unless the game is entirely about romantic relationships).

So, for the sake of writing different romance options on the budget available, I think pretty much anyone will choose the most dramatic options. Options that increase tension, not break it. Not ideal for the role-playing end, perhaps, while still offering some role-playing options. But definitely better for the storytelling aspects without letting dialogue branches go totally out of control.

This is why romance is so difficult to pull off in an RPG. So many people have so many different ways of wanting to handle it.

Here, again, I think we'd need to choose between cinematic presentation or text-based dialogue. While writing scenes like this wouldn't take all that much time to work out believably...rehearsing, performing, motion-capturing, editing, and working it into the game itself exponentially increases the time and cost. Hence, handling these things will likely be limited (unless the game is entirely about romantic relationships).

So, for the sake of writing different romance options on the budget available, I think pretty much anyone will choose the most dramatic options. Options that increase tension, not break it. Not ideal for the role-playing end, perhaps, while still offering some role-playing options. But definitely better for the storytelling aspects without letting dialogue branches go totally out of control.
I think the problem with Panam's arc specifically is that it angles from very early on in that direction and it's not entirely clear that you're not going to lose the benefit of her quests if you don't respond. It's the problem with games where you find yourself second guessing what the game designer did, rather than picking the options you actually want, which sometimes is exacerbated by the dialogue choices not corresponding to the dialogue that actually comes out (cf witcher 3 in which certain perfectly supportive dialogue choices, as actually delivered, could send Ciri to her doom!!).

Edit: so basically, I don't know whether, if I ignore Panam's advances, she won't then throw a huge hissy fit (which would be in character) and never speak to me again, locking me out of a chunk of the game expérience that goes beyond the romance into actual quests.

Last edited:
rather than picking the options you actually want, which sometimes is exacerbated by the dialogue choices not corresponding to the dialogue that actually comes out (cf witcher 3 in which certain perfectly supportive dialogue choices, as actually delivered, could send Ciri to her doom!!).
Yes, I noticed a few times where it doesn't match at all. "Oh no, i didn't want to said that !" :(
But I put that on the back of the translation (and therefore not intentional) :)

Guest 4412420

I think it would have been for the best if all LIs showed no interest unless V flirted with them first. This way, romances and whether you even want to engage with such content are left entirely up to the player and it would have avoided certain awkward situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I laughed so hard when I tried the romance with River!
It remains one of my favorite lines!
My V is a man (gay) and I really thought it was possible with River. I felt like his whole family was pushing V to date him!

Arrived on the water tower V tries to kiss him and :
" - Uh..no! V ! What are you doing!?
- Forget it. Nevermind..
- No but I am not... Finally... but you see...
- No ! Don't justify yourself please! Let's drink to friendship !"

It was sooooooo akward !

My V is a man (gay) and I really thought it was possible with River. I felt like his whole family was pushing V to date him!

- Forget it. Nevermind..

It was sooooooo akward !
Profoundly traumatic and took me back to my teens. What made it worse was that it was the best date I'd ever had in a video game!!

It seems to me that there is only with River and Panam that we do not really know what is possible or not (and that it can "get out of hand").
- Kerry we suspect from the start (with a little observation in johnny's flashback). Despite with Female V, the fact that on the boat, it's a little weird when you break everything (the passage where we help him).
- Judy, well, you don't have to be smart to guess :)

I agree with this statement, it feels a bit onesided in how it is handled.
When I did my first playthrough (I always play female V) Panam was the first character I met that became clear to be a omancible character. I WAS 'let down easy', but subsequentially as I explored some more aspects surrounding ramonaces I noticed I can't do the same thing to a romance I have no interest in (Sorry ... You know who)

So yeah, it would be a good idea to have one added speechcheck that allows us to disengage in that situation, similarly as how the NPC can do it to us. I take solace in that Panam and I always will have the dustshack :D

- Forget it. Nevermind..

It was sooooooo akward !
This was such a bummer, my gay V was so ready and the game doesn't handle it any different if you're a man or a woman. He was so flirty towards me with all the cooking stuff, I really thought I could romance him and then, in the most romantic moment of the whole game, he rejects me. I couldn't beiieve it.

I admit.... it's wrong.... but I had fun "breaking" Panam!
She is so unbearable all the time, never listening to anything and taking everyone down a peg!

I was in joy when I said to madam the "princess of the nomads": "No thank you I have seen enough..." X'D

yes i know.. i'am evil. Sory-not sory !
:shrug:

I admit.... it's wrong.... but I had fun "breaking" Panam!
She is so unbearable all the time, never listening to anything and taking everyone down a peg!

I was in joy when I said to madam the "princess of the nomads": "No thank you I have seen enough..." X'D

yes i know.. i'am evil. Sory-not sory !
:shrug:
:-D :-D

I want few more responses

"I'm in a relationship"
"That's what friends are for, right?"
"Em Hey, I'm kinda dying here. As much as I like you, I don't think getting involved with you is the right thing to do"
"Hey, I'm a merc, You are gonna pay me, right?"
"I'll call you":sneaky:

Overall, I find some of the dialogue (fixed and choice) inconsistent or limited for however you choose to play.

Honestly...? If it had been me, I'd have just left it out entirely, romance.
Just due to effort shock, y'see.

rehearsing, performing, motion-capturing, editing, and working it into the game itself exponentially increases the time and cost. Hence, handling these things will likely be limited (unless the game is entirely about romantic relationships).

Yeah. Effort shock.

I'd prefer more was put into the game's infrastructure, like NPC AI, driving AI, etc.

So, for the sake of writing different romance options on the budget available, I think pretty much anyone will choose the most dramatic options. Options that increase tension, not break it.

I think that's not true. I know it's not true for me.

I chose the options that most closely matched the V I was playing; in the case of my first playthrough, a lesbian, like in real life. I chose the options that were most true to V.

Also, sometimes I wanted the tension broken. Maybe I'm just a starry-eyed dreamer, but I like my happily-ever-after endings; after I realized Judy wasn't quite so much like my crazy, angry, junkie ex (the way she seemed at first), I liked the idea of V getting into something deeper with her, for example, making a future together (as opposed to a one night stand).
That'd be weapons-grade difficult in a game like this, especially since a happy ending wasn't really in the cards for V, and--I'll be honest--it detracted from my enjoyment of the game; having fewer options always will, especially if it's something I really want to do.

I think the devs shouldn't make assumptions like these, that we'll choose the 'dramatic' option; we won't, always, if there is an option that's more appealing or more true to our character. Or don't market as an RPG, so we don't get the wrong impression, as players.

Top Bottom