RPG Grind Elements

+
Don't have them. I don't want arbitrary numbers gamily attached to gameplay elements such as enemies and loot; it trivializes the lore and makes progress feel pointless since there will be something slightly better just around the corner. Some things should be better, clearly, but it should be in service of gameplay and immersion both, without sacrificing either.

nsf001

Forum regular
Story-driven game, the bosses and certain enemies won't reborn like Borderlands....so no grinding probably.

I've said this before in other threads, and this thread can probably be merged once more with the "Dream Ideas" or "What I don't want" threads, but ...
I think that levels should be removed, at least from the player's view as part of the First Person Perspective experience, and Character-driven SUBJECTIVE Perception implemented in its place.
For instance, if you build a big stupid tank character, that character might be like the drunk guy in the pub that thinks he can fight the whole world. All threats appear green, or have some other indicator that shows that your character, the person you're role-playing as, thinks and perceives that they can win a fight against what they see.
Similarly, if you build a physically weak character that doesn't like to get their hands dirty, your character might perceive any, all and every threat as potentially deadly.
The more your character learns about the world, the more reliable your character's perception of threats and dangers grows.

It puts a fuzzier metric on what the world looks like to your character when you're playing First Person Perspective, which is essentially sitting in the cockpit of your character's head, then, you should SEE things as your character would see them to implement more accurate role play.

It beats having objective numbers that tell you, the player what level you or someone is, that hold your hand, instead of showing what your character's perception is.

Additionally, things like alcohol, medication, chemical exposure, hypnosis, or even the influence of some electronic implant could then, change your character's perception of the world, making everyone look much more dangerous or, nonthreatening with something like a a little color coded dot or some other subjective perception indicator that shows what your character feels, or thinks about the people and environment around them.

It was really prevalent in The Witcher III and even II, when they made freaking Alondite obsolete.

It certainly was a "feature" in both games I'll grant you that.

But it's still more of an MMO/looter-shooter thing. Multi-player games (in particular) tend to "reward" players with lots of loot.
There are multiple reasons for this:
1) A grind based economy
2) Random loot generation (you gamble your time vs the possibility of a nice drop)
3) Players with limited amounts of time to play "need" to feel they've accomplished something tangible ... i.e. loot
4) Etc.

Look at games like "The Division", one of the major complaints is quality of the loot drops. (Almost) No one complains about the amount of drops, MASSIVE, just the fact that it's 99% junk. Most older RPGs had a fairly limited amount of loot, it's (for the most part) only the newer ones that try to implement FPS/MMO features to attract a larger player base that tend to feature large quantities of junk loot.

THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS - But exceptions don't change the general trend.

Right well I still havent figured out what kind of this game exactly is, but steer too away from Wticher 3 seems kinda foolish move. Metacritic 93 means you're onto something, imho.

I agree that Witcher 3 wasnt perfect, it was little bit too clunky and slightly too big map, but thats just my personal preference. Nevertheless 93 means you've a good grib.

Right well I still havent figured out what kind of this game exactly is, but steer too away from Wticher 3 seems kinda foolish move. Metacritic 93 means you're onto something, imho.

I had problems with some elements of TW3 that i went out of my way by applying mods to "fix" what I could fix with what I personally felt was wrong with the game.
I, however, would seem to have a little bit different metric standard of merit than Metacritic.
Who wants to like something because they're told what they're suppose to like, why they should like something, and that they should like something 93 much?
Bleh. Screw that. I'll make up my own mind about something.

The level gating in TW3 was just too artificial. Autoscaling enemies like Skyrim is clunky too, but, there's simply got to be other nother mo bettah ways to get got progression without levels, and without level gating.
I absolutely hated the implementation of level gating in The Witcher 3.
If you can kill it, steal from it, or sneak past it, to get loot, you should be able to use that loot no matter what your level is.
Further, while there should certainly be some degree of progression with a character getting better/stronger/faster whatever, the artificiality of some challenges where it's all about your level vs their level constantly had me rolling my eyes right out my skull.

Nah. There's got to be better systems that can get got implemented that are far smoother, more immersive, yet still challenging and allowing for progression, difficultly, and a sense of accomplishment without all the video game elements rearing their heads, holding your hand in your face numbers, putting up invisible level gates with magical super abilities granted the challenge to soak up all the damage, or, somehow, you suddenly magically can actually do damage now that you're equal to or greater than your enemy.
I don't know the answer, or have a solution, but, I'm fairly certain there's much smarter folks than me in the world working for development studios that can figure it out.

Btw, 93 metacritic in 2015 isn't equal to 93 in 2020, since gaming evolves. At the same time, a good software house should try to improve from one game to another instead of going Ubisoft and copy paste the same mechanics in all its games.
There's a huge difference between making a great game and making something which sets the bar and we'll be remembered as the first of its kind. This difference comes from details like level system and loot.

Guest 4149880

I agree that Witcher 3 wasnt perfect, it was little bit too clunky and slightly too big map, but thats just my personal preference. Nevertheless 93 means you've a good grib.

In terms of the weapons level system, I think it's kind of overdone in most RPGs and the weapons hold no value after that. I like the idea of investing into the gear rather than collect and discard system because of levels.

Btw, 93 metacritic in 2015 isn't equal to 93 in 2020, since gaming evolves. At the same time, a good software house should try to improve from one game to another instead of going Ubisoft and copy paste the same mechanics in all its games.
There's a huge difference between making a great game and making something which sets the bar and we'll be remembered as the first of its kind. This difference comes from details like level system and loot.
@Mybrokenenglish
Is there hope?

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/bvf92a
Our own @Loostreaks appears to have posted in the comments of this post on Reddit. What do you think of his/her observations?

@Mybrokenenglish
Is there hope?

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/bvf92a
Our own @Loostreaks appears to have posted in the comments of this post on Reddit. What do you think of his/her observations?

Well, since we keep using The Witcher 3 as a standard of expectation, we did have some limited form of armor and weapon modification there.
There were up to 3 sockets that could be added to some swords, and then we had the Witcher Class of gear for Bear, Wolf, Cat, and Griffin schools that changed in appearance as they were upgraded.

That system, however, was rather simple and it'd be nice if there were a more universally applicable system of armor and weapon customization that doesn't just apply to a narrow range of specific gear.

:)

Sorry man, crazy weekend. I'll give a better look at it tomorrow.

Btw, long story short: I wouldn't compare any cinematic trailer with in-game footage. I'll read on reddit tomorrow.
No worries.

The comments I'm referring to are actually unrelated to the trailer.

Hope everything's OK on your end.

Top Bottom