'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also going to quote Rumpsfeld on this one:

The Absence of Evidence isn't Evidence of Absence.

Simply because people haven't refuted you, doesn't mean they've proven you right. If you're someone who "knows they're right", I can imagine the mods or Vattier needing to turn it into a dayjob if they're forced to refute everything you claim. They're wisely not going to be lured into doing so, no matter how many times you interpret the world around you to have "proven you right".

I can walk up to my neighbour and accuse him of eating babies. If he gives me a funny look and slowly backs off into his house, I'm going to have a hard time explaining my basis of evidence to the judge if I break into his house to free the imaginary babies.

It's unknown whether levels are still in or not. Period.

Last edited:
They removed the levelling system from the game. So you can no longer level up and enemies don't have levels. This is what happens when you complain too much. Sadly it was the FPS crowd that complained not the RPG.

You can still add "points" to your branches but you or your gear wont level up.

Stop spreading FUD/fake news like this, especially without providing official source for such strict claims.

Yes, there is a leveling system

Ok, I'm confident enough to admit I was wrong. There were character levels in the gameplay reveal trailer 2018. There also was the voiced disclaimer "What you see is work in progress. Everything you see is subject to change."

I was more thinking about all the related info collected to reddit etc, where I remember not seeing any confirmation of a level system. (I saw that link and now I'm struggling to find it, otherwise Id link it here)

Personally I vastly prefer the indirect character progression of individually improving skills, attributes, equipment etc instead of putting everything under the same character level umbrella, because it creates a slower incline of progression and allows for more varied character builds. It also feels more natural.

They confirmed a traditional level system several times on this forum. There's not much to discuss about It at this point. If you want something more immersive you need to look at other software houses.

I'm 100% positive that all non-gameplay RPG elements will be masterfully executed. In this regard, I have supreme faith in CDPR.

The only thing I'm really afraid of, is CDPR simplifying RPG gameplay aspects too much. There should be opportunity cost, min-maxing, and advanced player builds possible through player creativity and game knowledge. I'm terrified that CDPR, in their fear of alienating casual players, will make the game too basic in terms of skill, gear, perks, weapon and implant choices.

I truly hope that Cyberpunk won't be remembered as "that near perfect game where character building and character planning was as shallow as a puddle of mud".

If the game has been out for 3 months and someone shares a build that uses a combination of gear, ammo, skills, perks and implants to create a playstyle that makes people go "how did he even come up with that?" then the game has succeeded in character building and combat gameplay IMO. Multiple simple systems can add a deep layer of complexity which is intuitive and easy to learn but difficult to master. If you grab 100 people's characters and 30 or more of them are very similar then the character building aspect has failed imo.

I personally think that the absolute best way to give players creative player agency in terms of character building are mutually exclusive skill upgrades and ways that apply both a positive and negative effect to your character. Example: I take a skill that lowers aim but increases damage. I use an implant that rapidly increases rate of fire, but increases the damage you take after firing. Ammo that is good at close range but bad at long range. Gear that improves stealth but has weaker defenses.

I've now min-maxed a self-built ambush/stealth shotgun build that is high risk but high reward, and that could just be the tip of the iceberg for that character.

TL;DR: I don't think CDPR will fail at non-gameplay, non-combat RPG elements. But I'm VERY concerned about character building and customization. If player creativity is limited to an extent that it is not possible to create a "thinking out of the box" character, then the character building, and to a natural extention, combat gameplay - has imo failed.

Maybe a bit blunt, harsh and to the point. But it's how I feel about it. Ultimately - I think CP2077 will be so good in lore, story, atmosphere and world building that even if character building and combat gameplay RPG elements fail - the game will still be fantastic.

They confirmed a traditional level system several times on this forum. There's not much to discuss about It at this point. If you want something more immersive you need to look at other software houses.

I would appreciate a direct link into such a post, because I am struggling to find one.
I just used the search function for word "level" on cyberpunk forums red tracker and came up empty.

But is it necessary taking off the already existed term? RPG has a charm Its own. There are people only seeing 'RPG' labeled on the game, their heart start beating. I can say It is totally unnecessary move and CDPR will think the same.
Post automatically merged:

Usually I'm not thinking over small issue like this, but last year, they kept saying "IT'S AN RPG! NOT FPS!" and I'm impressed.

They literally said it every interview. even in 48-minute demo, you can hear narrator keep saying same thing. "Because It's an RPG~ blah"

It says role playing on GOG...

I would appreciate a direct link into such a post, because I am struggling to find one.
I just used the search function for word "level" on cyberpunk forums red tracker and came up empty.
Why do you need a confirmation about something we already know is fact? And wow, you searched the word level and didnt find a dev use it...such evidence. Its a RPG, of course it has levels.

Along with a traditional XP system, players can garner Street Cred by completing side missions and jobs in the city. The player’s reputation is then used to unlock access to new vendors and contacts throughout Night City, allowing them to complete new missions.

And you can clearly see levels in the demo. It doesn't leave much room to interpretation if you've played TW3.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...your-cp-2077-questions.10970951/post-11422837

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...your-cp-2077-questions.10970951/post-11422837

I had to google it, the search function on this forum is quite useless or it's just me who can't use it properly.

Well that says "traditional xp system", which is not a confirmation of character levels exactly. XP can be used in multiple different ways, such as improving skills and attributes individually, like Vampire the Masquerade: bloodlines (which devs touted as inspiration) does. VtM:B has experience, it doesn't have character levels

ps. Id really like an "ignore person" option on these forums right about now..

It doesn't leave much room to interpretation if you've played TW3.
Well I haven't, really.

Last edited:
Well that says "traditional xp system", which is not a confirmation of character levels exactly. XP can be used in multiple different ways, such as improving skills and attributes individually, like Vampire the Masquerade: bloodlines (which devs touted as inspiration) does. VtM:B has experience, it doesn't have character levels

I edited. You can see levels in the demo + traditional Xp system = TW3.

1560262504374.png
Jackie is level 8.

Been there, done that. We're not this lucky, though.

I agree that the term "RGP" has become nebulous up to a point of not mattering anymore. I'm not sure the ommission of the term "RPG" matters much.

I really don't care what they call it. Role playing means you play/take on the persona of a role/character within a game that has an intense focus on story and choices so you can play as the character you've imagined as much as possible. I'm sure the game will have that and as long as it does, I don't care what the marketing blurb states.

Really, in these modern times, games blend so many genres that I don't think it's a big deal. In fact, I often see the term immersive sim being used these days, to include games like Deus Ex 2000, which at the time was called an RPG and actually won RPG of the year in several publications.

It could also, perhaps, just be that they don't want to scare non-rpg fans away by implying things like;

- turn-based or RTWP combat

- number heavy min-maxing

- grinding for xp or loot

Oh, and on the subject of levels, I don't believe you absolutely need them to qualify as an RPG. Just because most RPG's have leveling doesn't mean it's a prerequisite.

As for making some enemies and areas tougher, you can do that with their equipment, stats and skills. It's not obligatory to stick a number by them and have them turn into bullet sponges that do much more damage with the same gun for no apparent reason, imho.

For what it's worth, i know a lot of people would be very happy with that, myself included. However, levels per se are not a requirement for a game to be an RPG. The table top game (Cyberpunk 2020) dosen't have 'levels'.
This.

When I saw "levels are gone" I got excited, because I thought maybe it meant CDPR was taking some of our feedback into account. Unlevelled progression is exactly what I wanted, for gear, for enemies, for weapons.

But now I see this guy has no source and is just talking out of his rear. So back to wishful thinking.

This.

When I saw "levels are gone" I got excited, because I thought maybe it meant CDPR was taking some of our feedback into account. Unlevelled progression is exactly what I wanted, for gear, for enemies, for weapons.

But now I see this guy has no source and is just talking out of his rear. So back to wishful thinking.

Levels are still in (ofc they are). Check the latest info.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/06/11/cyberpunk-2077-new-gameplay-details-from-the-e3-2019-demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom