'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ”new standard” is also a bit questionable.

If you watch a lot of concept presentations for new games, the last bullet point is often "marketing speech", spiced up with words like "highly" "innovative" "never before seen".
Just watch the Making of God of War (2018) where Cory Barlog explains that. It's kind of funny that he makes it that transparent...

According to this video, or to be more precise the description below it, this game is action adventure:

So, is this an action adventure with some light RPG elements, or is it RPG with some action adventure elements?
Btw, this is how it is announced for the first time:

It's a matter of definition:
-If you consider that a game need to let chosen stats mostly decides the result of an action to be an RPG, then you may consider C2077 an action adventure game (as a reminder: choice/conscequences exist in the action adventure genre too).
-If you consider that any game with stats, whatever their level of influence is, is enough to make a game an RPG (which is more or less the definition of an RPG nowadays), then C2077 is undoubtly an RPG.

As a matter of personal advice, I consider it being an RPG-Lite: a game which genuinely tries to be an RPG fluff-wise and which doesn't care much crunch-wise (and which gives priority to "twitch gameplay" when fluff and gameplay collides).

But I really want your source about that picture, because even old the word "promise" is used, and lots of people hides behind that word as not being used to justify anything.

Last edited:
I think they are marketing this game as an action adventure for a lot of reasons:

A) It's more popular.

B) It communicate better to the public what the product is about.

RPG is a very vast genre in gaming nowadays. So it wouldn't really speak to the consumer if CDPR said it's just a RPG

I mean, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Crusader Kings, Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines, are all considered RPG by themselves, the game industry and game consumer, even providing a very different gaming experience, when compared to each other.

So, for the consumers that doesn't really want to dig in, and spend time finding out what the game is about, it's better to say that it's an action open world game.

It's easier to identify - that's why people think that this game will be like GTA V, and not like The Division 2 (That have more RPG elements in it).

C) RPG games that became very popular (Fallout 3 and NV) usually doesn't focus on action, because (with limited budget) the developers invest more in story telling (or so they say), so the final product end up having some clunky shooting mechanics.

Which is not Witcher 3 case, that have awesome action with great story, like a lighning strike that came from the sky in a sunny day. But it's "safer" to sell an action game, than expect the consumer (especially the new) to believe that there is second lightning strike coming.

D) I feel that the RPG fans are already in with this game (I preordered the game in september 2019) since they'd announced it. I'm expecting this game since 2013, and I can't wait to give this game a good old hub, nice and hot, spicy Cyberpunk, hehe boy!

I think they are marketing this game as an action adventure for a lot of reasons:

Yeah that is probably true. But the thing is: They have to create what they advertise.

If it’s a ”safe action adventure” they sell the game as, thay’s what they have to make, lest they be accused of false advertisement.

And if that was indeed the case, they should’ve dropped all pretenses about it being an RPG years ago.

It is generally noticeable that the mainstream audience loves when a game is called an RPG, but hate it if it actually turns out to be one (due to gameplay... because to some, RPG only means that a game has dialog and an inventory and is otherwise a sleazy action game).

the devs in this thread literally said CP2077 "true RPG." Literally CDPR baseline games are all about RPG!
Literally both Steam, GOG, EGS, PS Store, & Microsoft Store has the game with "Role Playing/RPG" genre tag:

How does this even remotely a question kinda boggled my mind LOL

Also, my whole gaming life must be a lie than, that Deus Ex games that don't have level numbers system apparently NOT RPG games according to some of the people in this thread LOL :facepalm:

Too many games nowadays are sold as 'RPGs'. Even first person shooter, if they let you customize some minor stat or appearance, nowadays are marketed as RPG. Disgusting business practice.

Ironically, however, Cyberpunk 2077 is truly more of an RPG than most of the games that claim to be, even if there are no dice rolls or turns. :shrug:

Last edited:
It's not that it will be an "RPG", it will be "THE RPG" if everything they said the game will be, really happen!

I don't want to make this into another "What is an RPG"-Thread, too. But look at the history of other important genres like novels or right now tv shows.
The best ones of them always defied expectations when they came out and re-defined the genre. It's not about ticking the right boxes, it's also about knowing when to break some rules to make it fresh.

So marketing boilerplate is one thing, but from the horse's mouth:

UPDATE: (some worries re: description, action elements, etc since last year):

July 15, 2019 Quest Director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz: "Our game is still first and foremost an RPG "

My feelings on if CP2077 is and RPG or an FPS with a few RPG elements for marketing purposes are well known in these forums. And I still haven't (and won't) pre-order the game because I'm worried if I'll even be able to play it. If you're looking for a fast-paced action looter-shooter CP2077 is NOT the game for you. If you're looking for "Planescape: Torment" it's also NOT the game for you.

The fact that it's marketed (or not) as an RPG is totally irrelevant, it's how it plays that matters not marketing hype.

I am no expert but I feel "RPG" gets used to describe almost any game where you have some kind of choice, unlike a pure FPS like Half-Life.
I can appreciate the many points that Kofeiiniturpa has made regarding the apparent lack of many RPG elements in character build. I have not seen the full skill/perk progression tree so I don't know what it will include or not, but so far I haven't seen anything like speech skills or inspection skills or other things you'd find in "RPGs" like Morrowind, Vampire TM:B, KCD and others.
I think CDPR is more focused on creating and amazing world with a very rich and variable story. A good story seems to be at the forefront of their developement and perhaps some of the typical RPG mechanics might get lost/massaged into the broader game.
I think they are also trying to create a game many people will enjoy. I may get flack for this but some RPGs, I'm looking at you Dragon Age, require a good amount of planning, research and character optimization to create an effective party. This is not for everyone. They have to balance between pleasing the fans and attracting mass appeal.

TLDR: Game isn't out yet, too early to say :sleep:

Ironically, however, Cyberpunk 2077 is truly more of an RPG than most of the games that claim to be, even if there are no dice rolls or turns. :shrug:

For that I'll wait to see V unable to shoot straight because of a lack of shooting skill.
Post automatically merged:

So marketing boilerplate is one thing, but from the horse's mouth:

UPDATE: (some worries re: description, action elements, etc since last year):

July 15, 2019 Quest Director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz: "Our game is still first and foremost an RPG "

He didn't say:"I promise", so it's just baseless assumption.:smart:

how many times do they need to tell you during the wire episodes or the surrounding interviews that the game is an RPG

It’s rather that it has to be seen/shown instead of heard/read.

And so far... well, it looks nothing much unlike an urban Far Cry with dialog options and more creative mission design.

how many times do they need to tell you during the wire episodes or the surrounding interviews that the game is an RPG

Why don't they make an RPG mechanics show for a change, instead of action-trailer N°87298, so we can judge that with our own eyes?

Last edited:
The game is also open-world too. I don't hear many people talking about that. I guess CDPR forgot to put that in tags for Cyberpunk 2077.

For that I'll wait to see V unable to shoot straight because of a lack of shooting skill.
Post automatically merged:

He didn't say:"I promise", so it's just baseless assumption.:smart:

..what? You think someone saying "I promise" makes it true? You think statements made -without- "I promise" in them are "baseless assumptions"?

It's not a baseless assumption. The Quest Director claims 2077 is still primarily an RPG. You can debate what an RPG is, or whether you believe him, but CD PRojekt Red's official, approved for publication statement is, it's still an RPG.

Yi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom