'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
..what? You think someone saying "I promise" makes it true? You think statements made -without- "I promise" in them are "baseless assumptions"?

It's not a baseless assumption. The Quest Director claims 2077 is still primarily an RPG. You can debate what an RPG is, or whether you believe him, but CD PRojekt Red's official, approved for publication statement is, it's still an RPG.

Yi.

It was a trait of dark humor based of the fact that numerous times on the forum things that were told by Cdprojekt official were later changed (and I'm not speaking about things in demo when it is written that everything seen inside it is subject to changes), and when it is later changed and someone tell it people start saying "They didn't say, "I promise", so complaining about it is baseless assumption" (latest example I remember was inside the topic we talked about in MP and that I won't talk about here).

It was a trait of dark humor based of the fact that numerous times on the forum things that were told by Cdprojekt official were later changed (and I'm not speaking about things in demo when it is written that everything seen inside it is subject to changes), and when it is later changed and someone tell it people start saying "They didn't say, "I promise", so complaining about it is baseless assumption" (latest example I remember was inside the topic we talked about in MP and that I won't talk about here).

Ahhhhh. Well, they rarely say "We promise", because it's game development. So, yes, things can change. That was a pretty clear statement though. Given that release is a month away and they haven't changed that statement, I'd say it stands.

.....for now. Heh.

:oops: Didn't CDPR state from the beginning that it was an RPG first? Every pre-order site I have seen has it labeled as RPG.
RPG tags everywhere I look, no joke...:shrug:

Even after the last NCW, Miles said as much. THIS IS AN RPG. no need to worry folks. not his words but still...
It's the GTA crowd I'm worried about... When they release this isn't GTA2077...:facepalm:

:oops: Didn't CDPR state from the beginning that it was an RPG first? Every pre-order site I have seen has it labeled as RPG.
RPG tags everywhere I look, no joke...:shrug:

Even after the last NCW, Miles said as much. THIS IS AN RPG. no need to worry folks. not his words but still...

It's the GTA crowd I'm worried about... When they release this isn't GTA2077...:facepalm:
I think your right, I think. :shrug:

Wait, since when is "action adventure" more popular than "RPG action adventure" - which is what i expect this game to be, and which is what TW3 is?
Also wasn't Skyrim presented as an RPG back then? It is the best selling RPG, and one of the best selling games. Of course i don't consider it to be an RPG or even a great game. But that's another story.

What am i missing here?

RPG is a genre, it is not a description that is the category of the game which it still is.
Role-playing game.

You play a role, it has roleplay stats/choices/characters and so forth from the original tabletop and it is a game.

It is in the RPG genre, no matter how much you nitpick it. Being called an open world action adventure story makes way more sense because there are more elements to it than just a basic RPG but there aren't dice or turn based elements like a strict RPG only game. (Baldurs gate, pen and paper and so on)

In this podcast, someone who has played the game called it "a hardcore RPG", and went on to say that gunplay doesn't feel that good until you level it up.

I'm assuming that this has to do with weapon proficiency increasing the more you use a particular weapon.

In this podcast, someone who has played the game called it "a hardcore RPG", and went on to say that gunplay doesn't feel that good until you level it up.

I'm assuming that this has to do with weapon proficiency increasing the more you use a particular weapon.

CDPR never made a hardcore RPG. Actually they removed many RPG elements and simplified their games through years.

Indeed. Its been said several times that when you use something, you get better at using it. Your skill improves, and is hardcapped by the appropriate stat.

The way this is represented in the game, is for example, your aim improves, your reload time is reduced, the aim-down-sights animation gets snappier I assume, overall animations improve, and so on. So playing a lvl 1 V, you are going to look like a newbie fumbling around, as you should.

Last edited:
In this podcast, someone who has played the game called it "a hardcore RPG"...

I’m not entirely confident on the views of some random Youtuber.
What does it even mean when he says : ”Gunplay doesn’t feel *great* before you skill up”?

It should feel positively awful before you skill up.
And another thing... It’s easily believable that even with small effects, you can make gameplay with a controller feel ”not great”, but what about mouse and keyboard? That’s a wholly different thing.

And one more thing... what about the RPG aspects outside combat and occasional skillcheck in dialog?

The showcasing of such matters so far have been very shallow and even none-existent. I do understand that not everything is wanted to explain to a tee, and I even agree with that, I want there to be things to discover on my own, but I would want to know at least what’s the ballpark we’re in with these systems. Something that I can clearly see and say ”ok, so that’s how it goes generally”.

And as a bonus... I would want to know how the difficulties are handled; do they affect these things or do they just adjust health and damage values. God help us if they do it like Witcher 3....

What does it even mean when he says : ”Gunplay doesn’t feel *great* before you skill up”?

I'm not sure if I trust a random Youtuber either, but I just reported what he said to this thread because he does call it a "hardcore RPG". I don't know him at all though, so I can't give any insight on what he might consider a hardcore RPG beyond the weapon proficiency. Maybe he was level-gated out of some things during his playthrough as well.

Last edited:

It should feel positively awful before you skill up.
And another thing... It’s easily believable that even with small effects, you can make gameplay with a controller feel ”not great”, but what about mouse and keyboard? That’s a wholly different thing.

And one more thing... what about the RPG aspects outside combat and occasional skillcheck in dialog?

The showcasing of such matters so far have been very shallow and even none-existent. I do understand that not everything is wanted to explain to a tee, and I even agree with that, I want there to be things to discover on my own, but I would want to know at least what’s the ballpark we’re in with these systems. Something that I can clearly see and say ”ok, so that’s how it goes generally”.

And as a bonus... I would want to know how the difficulties are handled; do they affect these things or do they just adjust health and damage values. God help us if they do it like Witcher 3....

Some random you tuber who actually played the game

Im going to trust their opinion over literally every one else.

I just reported what he said

Yeah, I'm not putting a baggage on your shoulders. I'm only commenting on who said and what (on the video).

Some random you tuber who actually played the game

Im going to trust their opinion over literally every one else.

But whose opinion on what constitutes what on matters requiring deeper explanation, such as this, you know nothing about.

If he said the game is like eating raw onion and drinking vinegar without further explanation, would you trust his opinion and reconsider buying it - because he played it, so he knows?

I mean, if it was Matt Barton, for example, we would have an idea on what he might mean when he says "hard core RPG".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom