'RPG' is excluded from game description

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not putting a baggage on your shoulders. I'm only commenting on who said and what (on the video).

But whose opinion on what constitutes what on matters requiring deeper explanation, such as this, you know nothing about.

If he said the game is like eating raw onion and drinking vinegar without further explanation, would you trust his opinion and reconsider buying it - because he played it, so he knows?

I mean, if it was Matt Barton, for example, we would have an idea on what he might mean when he says "hard core RPG".

The phrase hard core rpg is pretty self explanatory

Also on your last post having gunplay "feel positively awful " to start with is not a good idea or lore friendly

The phrase hard core rpg is pretty self explanatory

Also on your last post having gunplay "feel positively awful " to start with is not a good idea or lore friendly

Heh, no. "Hard core RPG" is just as vague as the term "RPG" itself from the mouth of someone who's not known to be a genre enthusiast to at least some degree. Because "hard core" associates to so very different things when it comes to who says it and about what.

I can understand the "not a good idea" part (don't agree, though... obviously).

But I don't get what you mean by "not lore friendly". In 2020 if you have low shooting skill, you are not going to be a good combatant for a good while; meaning that you might never be since you might just die on your first fight for not being able to hit the enemy. It would seem that in 2077 you are not too worse off regardless of skill level, inspite that gunplay might not "feel great" while having low skill.

Oh and on "if he said the game was shit would you trust their opinion"

Yes, because they played the game. But, like I did here I wouldnt just get a review from one of the people who played the game. I think everyone who played it says it was great
Post automatically merged:

Heh, no. "Hard core RPG" is just as vague as the term "RPG" itself from the mouth of someone who's not known to be a genre enthusiast to at least some degree. Because "hard core" associates to so very different things when it comes to who says it and about what.

I can understand the "not a good idea" part (don't agree, though... obviously).

But I don't get what you mean by "not lore friendly". In 2020 if you have low shooting skill, you are not going to be a good combatant for a good while; meaning that you might never be since you might just die on your first fight for not being able to hit the enemy. It would seem that in 2077 you are not too worse off regardless of skill level, inspite that gunplay might not "feel great" while having low skill.

RPG has a pretty widely accepted universal meaning. (and personaly you language comes off as a little elitist)

What I mean by not lore friendly is, it's more likely any one person you pick from nc will be familiar with a gun. And especially your pc will be. It would be weird if you started as v having no fucking clue how to hold a weapon

Last edited:
RPG has a pretty widely accepted universal meaning. (and personaly you language comes off as a little elitist)

Yes, it certainly has "a universal meaningn". but it's not quite as simple as what is "widely accepted".
And I freely admit being an elitist up to a certain degree (and that degree is important), no use denying it. I think everyone around who's been here as long as I and have read my posts would agree on that.

What I mean by not lore friendly is, it's more likely any one person you pick from nc will be familiar with a gun. And especially your pc will be. It would be weird if you started as v having no fucking clue how to hold a weapon

I don't agree that "anyone" would be familiar with a gun, let alone be adept at using one. People still live normal lives there, it's not a full on combat zone where everyone has military training. And being able to have V be inept with guns (at the start, at the very least), would be much more interesting concept gameplaywise (and would've been storywise too) than having him/her be... well, if not a grizzled combat veteran at his you age, a "well acquainted" gunslinger at least as it seems to be - let alone that all character progression revolves around combat one way or another.

Yes, it certainly has "a universal meaningn". but it's not quite as simple as what is "widely accepted".
And I freely admit being an elitist up to a certain degree (and that degree is important), no use denying it. I think everyone around who's been here as long as I and have read my posts would agree on that.

I don't agree that "anyone" would be familiar with a gun, let alone be adept at using one. People still live normal lives there, it's not a full on combat zone where everyone has military training. And being able to have V be inept with guns (at the start, at the very least), would be much more interesting concept gameplaywise (and would've been storywise too) than having him/her be... well, if not a grizzled combat veteran at his you age, a "well acquainted" gunslinger at least as it seems to be - let alone that all character progression revolves around combat one way or another.

Then you must also accept that yes, we can ascertain what it means when someone says that its "a pretty hard core rpg". You might personally have higher elitist standards, but that doesnt mean the term is vague, it just means you arent sure if it will live up to your belief of what a "hard core rpg" should be. So i think we can get a pretty good generel idea of at minimum, how in-depth it will be, when someone uses such a self explanatory term as "hardcore rpg"

"I don't agree that "anyone" would be familiar with a gun, let alone be adept at using one."

Wel, I didnt say adept, but you are just wrong. This is NC. Its america and their second amendment hard on cranked up to 11 in a city with the highest crime rate in the world. So not only would pretty much every know how to/be familiar with holding a weapon V would espcially be, since the life paths are "ruthless corpo", "street kid" and "nomad". All of these would have at least some degree of knowledge to hold a gun.

Now remember, the game starts with the gun hadnling "feeling pretty bad" so when im saying people "have some knowledge/experiance" how to hold a gun that isnt implying any level of "expertise" Just that they wouldnt pick up a gun and go "wtf is this I have no idea whats happening"

And finally, it wouldnt be fun. You can talk about how it would be "an intereseting concept gameplay wise" but having to feel "downright awful" everytime you use a gun (until a certain point) isnt good gameplay, not only would it turn people off not familiar with how the upgrade system works, most players who do would also not enjoy it.

Last edited:
The fact that this is a RPG game based on a TTRPG.....it is odd how CDPR has talked little about the core RPG aspects.

I mean, we literally know ZERO about crafting. Hell for all we know they removed that from the game as well.

... What is even going on in this thread?

The leaps in logic are on a whole different level here. Action-adventure is the descriptor for the story, not the game mechanics.

Cyberpunk 2077, an open-world, action-adventure story

How are you guys taking the description of the story and extrapolating to game genre?

... What is even going on in this thread?

The leaps in logic are on a whole different level here. Action-adventure is the descriptor for the story, not the game mechanics.

How are you guys taking the description of the story and extrapolating to game genre?

Pretty sure the thread itself has moved past that point and the discussion is now based on what we have seen and heard of the game thus far.

But yeah, personally I feel CDPR have said enough times that this game is RPG at its core enough, but its fair enough that people want to talk about their misgivings based on what they have seen/what cdpr have shown up until the game comes out.

Pretty sure the thread itself has moved past that point and the discussion is now based on what we have seen and heard of the game thus far.

But yeah, personally I feel CDPR have said enough times that this game is RPG at its core enough, but its fair enough that people want to talk about their misgivings based on what they have seen/what cdpr have shown up until the game comes out.

Yes, I can see that the thread has strayed off-topic - don't see that as an excuse to jump to conclusions. A lot of these assumptions are made based on CDPR supposedly calling this an action-adventure game, which they are not. The story they're telling within their RPG is an action-adventure one.

Now, we can argue about what RPG truly means in this day an age to no end, but I think it is important to clarify that the discussion has spawned due to a wrong assumption and unclear "evidence" based on limited marketing materials. My opinion is that we won't know how much of a "true RPG" CP is until we've played it.

Yes, I can see that the thread has strayed off-topic - don't see that as an excuse to jump to conclusions. A lot of these assumptions are made based on CDPR supposedly calling this an action-adventure game, which they are not. The story they're telling within their RPG is an action-adventure one.

Now, we can argue about what RPG truly means in this day an age to no end, but I think it is important to clarify that the discussion has spawned due to a wrong assumption and unclear "evidence" based on limited marketing materials. My opinion is that we won't know how much of a "true RPG" CP is until we've played it.

No, that was my point people are not basing off the explanation but what they have seen.

I think from what we have seen it will be fine, but cdpr could have been better at advertising the rpg elements, however others dont.

(I agree with your last point though and honestly think this whol discussion is in the end pointless so close to release, honestly though.)

No, that was my point people are not basing off the explanation but what they have seen.
Perhaps you need to go a few pages back (as this thread has, as we've established, gone off-topic) but this is exactly how we arrived at this point - someone saying that the game is no longer being called an RPG but rather an action-adventure. I don't see how you can have a meaningful discussion on this topic, if the initial statement that sparked it is wildly incorrect. We must first agree that CDPR is at least aiming to deliver an RPG experience (which they are) before we discuss what an RPG is.

Perhaps you need to go a few pages back (as this thread has, as we've established, gone off-topic) but this is exactly how we arrived at this point - someone saying that the game is no longer being called an RPG but rather an action-adventure. I don't see how you can have a meaningful discussion on this topic, if the initial statement that sparked it is wildly incorrect. We must first agree that CDPR is at least aiming to deliver an RPG experience (which they are) before we discuss what an RPG is.

Check the dates a few pages ago, bro. This thread was brought back from the brink of death a few days ago and pretty much immediatly diverted to discussion about what has been shown.

Perhaps you need to go a few pages back (as this thread has, as we've established, gone off-topic) but this is exactly how we arrived at this point - someone saying that the game is no longer being called an RPG but rather an action-adventure.

Which is wrong, because CP2077 ALWAYS had these descriptors. The devs called it RPG, the online store pages called it action adventure. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The text "action adventure" has been there for years.

Therefore it is lunacy to think that you can extrapolate these conclusions that are going on in this thread, since there is no proof. Its just peoples minds going on in circles, which quite frankly, isn't healthy.

Check the dates a few pages ago, bro. This thread was brought back from the brink of death a few days ago and pretty much immediatly diverted to discussion about what has been shown.
I don't believe people's inability to stick to the topic is a good reason to leave a false statement unaddressed, while allowing it to be used as a jumping point for baseless speculation, bro.

I don't believe people's inability to stick to the topic is a good reason to leave a false statement unaddressed, while allowing it to be used as a jumping point for baseless speculation, bro.

I thought it was pretty thoughly addressed a few pages ago, which is why we moved topic which was my point. (either way this comment will prob be delted cause we definitely far off topic now lol)

If you wish to continue the discussion please remain on topic. Speculation on the reasons for the change in description from more than a year ago is fine, speculation on why people are posting what they're posting is not and neither are delving too deep into tangential subjects such as "what is an RPG". Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom